"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

All of that sounds mighty good! I seem to recall that there is a recipe for pate in one of the books I got around here written by Ms. Child. I reckon I oughta see if I can locate it.
I am very fond of pate made with turkey livers....however my favorite recipe for poultry livers was given to me by a friend from Rendezvous. It is her grandmother's recipe for chopped liver. A dish that, in my opinion, is severely underrated by most folks that I am acquainted with. Truth is that it is nothing fancy but mighty tasty!

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

there's a small chain of steakhouses here in north joisey that feature a fantastic salad bar. after odering our entrees, i take a plate and make a small spinach salad with onions, olives, and pickled hot peppers on one side, and load a mound of chicken liver pate on the other half.

then i cap the entire thing with a couple of slices of their (restaurant baked) fresh whole wheat raisin bread.

the onions and pickled hot peppers really go well with the pate and bread.

by the time my steak comes to the table, i'm nearly already stuffed.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
there's a small chain of steakhouses here in north joisey that feature a fantastic salad bar. after odering our entrees, i take a plate and make a small spinach salad with onions, olives, and pickled hot peppers on one side, and load a mound of chicken liver pate on the other half.

then i cap the entire thing with a couple of slices of their (restaurant baked) fresh whole wheat raisin bread.

the onions and pickled hot peppers really go well with the pate and bread.

by the time my steak comes to the table, i'm nearly already stuffed.
For my birthday last month my daughter and her husband took me out to dinner. He ate not only my salad, but a dish of calmari, his salad, some of his wife's scallops and a few other things they ordered. And those were only the appetizers. The both of them cleaned their plate when their dinner came. I was lucky to eat just a little less than half of my eggplant parm.

I am always amazed when I see someone eat like that. Those are the kind of eaters cooks love to cook for. You would be a joy to feed.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, addie. you have no idea.

when i was a little boy, my best friend was a slight, kind of pale kid from a stereotypically male dominated sicillian-american family.

every weekend, we would play at each others houses, and often wished we could trade places permanently.

he loved to eat with my family on saturdays, not being forced to eat anything that he didn't want, or too much of anything, all the while shyly smiling at all of my sisters who adored him with his polite little napkin on his lap and his perfect table manners. after the meal, he always thanked my mom, then took his plate and utensils to the sink and offered to help clean up.

but on sundays after church, i got to eat at his house, waiting impatiently for the sunday gravy, pastas, salads, and an unbelievable array of delicious italian foods and desserts to be served.

i ate each plate until i was stuffed, and then they'd bring out something else to eat while his mom, sisters, and aunts would pinch my cheeks, complimenting me about how i was such a healthy and hearty boy. his dad would brag to their visiting relatives about how i could catch any football or baseball that he threw at me, and he hoped i would rub off on his son, lol.

those were great days.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

bt, you should see what my Spike can pack away. After eating two very large subs that he makes and packs with steak and cheese, a couple of whole pickles, two or three pieces of fruit, he will then down two gallon containers of ice cream. All at one sitting. He only eats once a day and that is at night. Whenever I make mac and cheese for him, I cook the whole pound. I take just enough for one meal for me, and he eats the rest in one sitting.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Yesterday I made a pâté using this recipe from Jacques Pepin. Pork Liver Pâté | Essential Pepin

It is a very simple straight forward recipe for making a wonderful pâté using common inexpensive ingredients.

The recipe has started me thinking about variations or additions. The use of different meats, seasonings and additions like strips of ham or chicken, pistachio nuts, stuffed olives, prunes etc...

I am hoping that some of you may be able to provide a TNT recipe or idea for homemade cold cuts.

Thanks for your help!
"Chicken liver pate' involves the use of cooked chicken livers (take care to leave a touch of pink so as to not overcook them), garlic, butter, sage, salt, and ginger. Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth and silky. Chill and serve." (Chief Long Wind of the North)

I can endorse the Chief's delicious recipe (quoted above) for chicken liver pâté. It's really important to heed his warning about not overcooking the livers when sautéing them in butter. (Yes, butter, folks, this is no time to be health conscious!). Pink in the middle is what you want. The other bit of advice I'd add to that is to pick over the raw livers carefully and cut off any discoloured (yellowish or greenish) bits. These stains are from contamination with bile and while they are not poisonous they will make your pâté very bitter and unpleasant.

IIRC I used thyme where the Chief uses sage (although sage is fine and would go well with duck livers) and I used a couple of spoonsful of brandy - the posher the brandy the better it will taste but ordinary cooking brandy will still taste good. Again, don't overdo it - you want to taste "something" but not be able to immediately identify it. I used either a scraping of nutmeg or a pinch of mixed spice (can't remember which) in place of the chief's ginger. I'm not implying that the Chief's recipe isn't good.I'm just using my alternatives to point out that you can vary the recipe. I think I adapted my recipe from the one that Jane Grigson adapted from Elizabeth David's recipe.

It's very quick to make unlike the more traditional pâtés and terrines as it doesn't involve scads of ingredients and hours of cooking time and you can experiment and use whatever additions you like. I have used unsalted pistachios stirred in after the pate is cooked but I thought it was gilding the lily a bit .I think you could serve it with onion "marmalade" or cranberry jelly .

About 30 years ago when I was "resting" between supply teaching jobs I ran a small business making pates, terrines and pies and desserts for cafés, pubs and restaurants. I think most of my recipes started out with Jane Grigson and Elizabeth David. Sadly, the notebook that I kept my best recipes in got lost during one of my house moves.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #17
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
All of that sounds mighty good! I seem to recall that there is a recipe for pate in one of the books I got around here written by Ms. Child. I reckon I oughta see if I can locate it.
I am very fond of pate made with turkey livers....however my favorite recipe for poultry livers was given to me by a friend from Rendezvous. It is her grandmother's recipe for chopped liver. A dish that, in my opinion, is severely underrated by most folks that I am acquainted with. Truth is that it is nothing fancy but mighty tasty!

How did I miss this???

Hoot, you are going to share that recipe, right?????
Old 01-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

One of our Christmas staples is our chicken liver pate. It's made very simply, chopped onion gently fried in butter and then whizzed in the fp with one hard-boiled egg. The chicken livers are broiled or fried in (more) butter - depending on how guilty we're feeling that day - with some salt & pepper, herbs and a small amount of port or brandy.

It's important to add the alcohol early so that it cooks through with the livers. One time I added it late on, and the pate tasted bitter. Then put the livers into the fp with the onions, and process until you get your desired consistency. It tastes even better if left overnight to mature.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismcphee View Post
One of our Christmas staples is our chicken liver pate.
Smear that on a bagel and you have the Jewish version.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Smear that on a bagel and you have the Jewish version.
Indeed, that's exactly what it is. I come from a Jewish/Catholic family, so we would get chicken liver pate on matzos for Christmas, and fish balls on a Friday! Traditions I've passed on to my kids.

And you could watch all the Catholic families coming back from Mass on Sunday stopping at the Jewish deli to buy their bagels.

Tags
other