"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 11-05-2004, 08:38 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Uh-oh - do I cook the steaks with the crab inside, or not?

I've got my 1-ish lb ny strips, and a bunch of king crab meat.

For the stuffing, I'm gonna saute the crab with garlic, butter, green onions, and a hard cheese - probably parm.

I'll be pan-frying the steaks.

Should I leave the stuffing aside until after the steaks are done cooking, or would it be better to cook the steaks with the crab mixture inside?

so confused.... lol

cdj

Old 11-05-2004, 10:14 PM   #12

I believe your crab with be "over-cooked", as you'll be heating the interior of the steak to a temp that will be more than adequate to cook raw crab....

I like the idea of a splash of green onion...

Parmesan wouldn't be my choice, if I'm gonna spend the big bucks for a treat like this, I'll have Asiago cheese (fresh grated, I'm hoping that you weren't going to use dehydrated Parm, and such the juices out of the meat?)

If you want an interesting addition to your "stuffing" mix, how about some finely diced waterchestnuts? Just a wild hair...

Lifter

Old 11-05-2004, 10:21 PM   #13

OOPS!

One final thought...

After you have sliced the slit into the steak, but before you stuff it, try "marinating" the meat as follows...

In a cake tin, pour in a half a cup of olive oil, an ounce of Worcestshire, a quarter cup of seasoned rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons of chopped or minced garlic, about 8-10 drops of hot sauce, and a quatercup of BBQ steak sauce...whick together well, and flip your steak(s) through this, and rest them in the mix for 15-20 minutes, then flip them and give a like time...

Pull them out, stuff them, and grill them about 6 minutes a side, pull them out and let them sit 6 minutes, then serve...

This is making me hungry again...

Lifter
Old 11-05-2004, 11:57 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
I believe your crab with be "over-cooked", as you'll be heating the interior of the steak to a temp that will be more than adequate to cook raw crab....
Thanks for all the tips - I'm especially intrigued by the waterchestnut thought - that wouldn't have occurred to me in a million years.

Thanks for pointing out the "twice-cooked crab" problem involved with what I was saying. I'll just put the cold mixture in the steaks, and maybe give them an extra minute on the heat - the steaks are 1.25-1.5 inches anyhoo...

Thanks again!

cdj
Old 11-06-2004, 09:39 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter

I like the idea of a splash of green onion...

Parmesan wouldn't be my choice, if I'm gonna spend the big bucks for a treat like this, I'll have Asiago cheese (fresh grated, I'm hoping that you weren't going to use dehydrated Parm, and such the juices out of the meat?)

If you want an interesting addition to your "stuffing" mix, how about some finely diced waterchestnuts? Just a wild hair...

Lifter
Lifter. We must share something genetically when it comes to our likes and dislikes of food. I was going to suggest the addition of water chestnuts too. :)

I do have to say though, I used surimi rather than real crab meat, as it's fairly difficult to find around these parts. I jellyrolled it into a roast that I transformed into a flat chunk of meat, like a skirt steak, and baked it to a medium rare. Finally, I hit it with a bit of infra-red from the broiler, just to give it that perfect shade of brown. It was great, and the heat didn't have sufficient time to overcook the seafood stuffing. I would think that broliling would be better suited to the stuffed steak recipe.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:46 AM   #16

Still waiting for "sherrifffruitfly" to get bak on what he/she did, and how it turned out...maybe we gave some "fatal" advice...?

Lifter
Old 11-21-2004, 03:33 PM   #17
Senior Cook

oops - sorry!

LOL - Didn't realize people were waiting for the results - lol

Was awesome - I broiled the steaks, seemed easier than all the motion (=spillage) involved with frying - and I don't have a grill....

I sauteed the crab/garlic/cheese/green onion mixture briefly before stuffing the steaks. I did this because I like my steaks a bit on the rare side, and I wasn't convinced that the middle would heat up sufficiently.

The thickness of the steaks was a bit of a problem however - I would have liked the midde to be a bit more done (was definitely on the R side of MR), but it seemed like the outside was too done to leave them under the heat any longer. How do you guys deal with thick (1.25"+) hunks of ny strip?

But all in all, was awesome. Next time, I'd want to (a) solve the done-outside-raw-inside problem - mebbe broiling is the wrong way to go with thick cuts, (b) get more peppercorns involved, and (c) have something like an A1 based sauce to drizzle....

God I love crab n steak! lol

cdj

off-topic: Wow - the Bills are wiping the floor with the Rams.... If somebody can explain to me how the Seahawks managed to lose (twice!) to those jack@sses, I'll be very appreciative... :)
Old 11-21-2004, 06:10 PM   #18
Master Chef

My oven has high and low broilier settings. If I'm cooking something up to a half inch, I use the high setting. For thicker meat cuts, I use the low setting.

If you have only one setting, move the meat further from the heat source. Remember that broiling works through infra-red radiation. That is, the infra red strikes the meat surface and excites the molecules, producing heat. That heat slowly moves into the meat through conduction. It takes time. Also, only one side of the meat is receiving that radiation, the side facing the heat source. As you move further from the heat source, less infra-red strikes the meat surface, heating it more slowly and giving the generated heat more time to penetrate the inner meat.

You will get the results you want.
Another technique you could use would be to dry roast the meat on a rack at about 450 for about fifteen minutes, turn off the oven, and complete the cooking process under the broiler. This also will give the heat more time to penetrate the meat, and the stuffing.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:16 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
My oven has high and low broilier settings. If I'm cooking something up to a half inch, I use the high setting. For thicker meat cuts, I use the low setting.

If you have only one setting, move the meat further from the heat source.
God I'm dense. Cook slower by putting distance between the heat and the meat. Duh. Sheesh.

lol

thanks!

cdj

Tags
None