"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 11-03-2004, 10:43 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Crab-stuffed steak?

Hi all,

A friend of mine mentioned the idea of this to me awhile ago. I'm totally excited to make it this weekend, since it combines my two favorite foods in the world (guess! lol)

Only one obstacle: How does one do this? lol

Anyone got any recipes?

TIA,

cdj

Old 11-03-2004, 11:44 PM   #2

Sounds pretty good!

You'd need a steak that was a bit thicker than normal, and hand-cut it almost all the way through...

I'd be trying this with snow crab meat and/or mini-shrimp that were canned (and therefor cooked)...

Marinating the steak in olive oil, seasoned rice wine vinegar, a dask of Balsamic vinegar, Worcestshire, garlic and the like, for about an hour or two...AFTER the ut was made, that I got some of this stuff into the "slit"...

It would go well to add a tablespoon of shredded cheese into this that matched to your seafood ingredient, and I confess I'd have to look at that at bit, before I tried this on, whether it was ricotta at the low end to asiago at the high end, one would have to experiment a bit to come out with the "best" thought...

Me being me (and thus neccessitating a lot of experimenting!), I'd like to wonder if I couldn't get a bit of minced asparagus tips into the center of this pretty thick piece of meat as welll

And I'd be looking at "rubbing" the exterior of the steak in garlic/onion powders (not "salts") and maybe some seasoning salt as well, so as to sort of close up the pores that everything stays inside...

And cooking method would be the Tim Allen/Ruth Chriss method of about a 1400 degree grill, I mean "flash-burnt" on the outside about 5 minutes a side, then removed, covered, and left to suck the heat into the remainder of the meat and stuffing

This isn't a recipe (obviously!) its an idea....and I certainly hope you run with it, and have some fun...baked potato on the side, with full fixings? Maybe a Caesar Salad?

Let us know how it goes!

Lifter

Old 11-04-2004, 12:58 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Use a beef tenderloin cut if possible, or a sirloin. Other steaks will either be:

Too tough
Too hard to stuff properly
Have too strong a flavor and overpower the crab

You could use a skirt or flank steak, pound it out thin and roll it pinwheel style with the crab meat in it.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:59 AM   #4
Executive Chef

This isn't a 'stuffed with' idea, but it's totally awesome and soooo rich!

You'll need -

-- Filet mignon steaks, cooked however you like them

--Bearnaise sauce

--crabmeat - blue crab is fine - the meat you buy in the cold packs is already cooked

--Tiny bay scallops, seared in a little butter

To plate- put your filet on the plate; combine the bearnaise with the crabmeat.

Put some scallops on top of the filet, and spoon some of the crab/bearnaise on top.

Swoon!
Old 11-04-2004, 07:44 AM   #5
Master Chef

I made something similar to this a few weeks back. But instead of stuffing a steak, I purchased a good beef roast. Starting at the outside edge, I cut about 1/2 inch deep, turned the knive parallel to the edge and cut one continuous layer of meat until I reached the center, ending up with something resemling a skit stead. I layed shredded crab meat and sliced mushrooms accross the whole surface, jelly-rolled it and tied it with sring. I then barbecued it on the Webber Kettle covered grill, using the banked coals/incirect method. When it was medium rare (as told my my meat thermometer) I removed it, plated it, and carved slices for everyone.

It came out very good. I strongly recomend this technique to anyone who loves surf & turf, unless of course you have a favorite steak (like a great rib steak) and lobter tails to go with it. :D

Seeeeeeya: Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Here's a recipe I have in my files. I've never made, so I can't comment on it.

Crab-Stuffed Filet Mignon with Whiskey Peppercorn Sauce
Yields: 4 servings

A delicious Filet Mignon stuffed with succulent crab, wrapped in bacon and topped with whiskey-peppercorn sauce. Time consuming, but just as good, if not better than any high-end restaurant recipe. Note: I often partially cook my filets in the pan, and finish them on the grill. This recipe works well with roasted red potatoes and a nice glass of wine.

For the crab stuffing:
2 T olive oil
1 t minced onion
1 t minced green onion
1 t minced garlic
1 t minced celery
1 t minced green bell pepper
2 T shrimp stock or water
One 6 oz can crab meat, drained
2 T bread crumbs
1 t Cajun seasoning
For the peppercorn sauce:
1 ¼ c beef broth
1 t cracked black pepper
2 T whiskey
1 c heavy cream
For the steaks:
four 6 oz filet mignon steaks
4 slices bacon, cooked lightly
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1 T olive oil
1 T garlic, minced
1 t minced shallot
1 c crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 T whiskey
1 t Dijon mustard

To make the crab stuffing: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté onion, green onion, garlic, celery, and green pepper until tender. Stir in shrimp stock, crab meat, bread crumbs, and Cajun seasoning. Remove from the heat, and set aside.
To prepare the peppercorn sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine beef broth and cracked black pepper. Simmer until reduced to 1 c, stirring frequently. Add the whiskey and cream. Continue simmering until reduced to 1 c. Remove from heat, and set aside.
To prepare the steaks: Slice a pocket into the side of each steak, and stuff generously with crab stuffing. Wrap bacon around side, and secure with toothpicks. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside. Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Sauté garlic and shallot for 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms, and sauté until tender. Remove mushroom mixture, and set aside. Place steaks in skillet, and cook to desired doneness. Remove from skillet, and keep warm. Deglaze skillet with the remaining whiskey. Reduce heat, and stir in peppercorn sauce and Dijon mustard. Add mushroom mixture, and reduce sauce until thickened. Remove toothpicks and bacon from steaks, and arrange steaks on a plate. Top with sauce.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:30 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Here's a recipe I have in my files. I've never made, so I can't comment on it.
LOL - that recipe looks astonishingly similar to one on the internet, at:

http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/CrbStf...nwithWhisk.asp

In any case, thanks everyone for the thoughts - I'm heading out later today to get the tenderloin(s)!

cdj
Old 11-04-2004, 05:25 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
This isn't a 'stuffed with' idea, but it's totally awesome and soooo rich!

You'll need -

-- Filet mignon steaks, cooked however you like them

--Bearnaise sauce

--crabmeat - blue crab is fine - the meat you buy in the cold packs is already cooked

--Tiny bay scallops, seared in a little butter

To plate- put your filet on the plate; combine the bearnaise with the crabmeat.

Put some scallops on top of the filet, and spoon some of the crab/bearnaise on top.

Swoon!
marm, that has got to be the most lovely-sounding meal i've heard of in a year. yum!
Old 11-04-2004, 06:38 PM   #9
Executive Chef

It is, luvs - to die for!
Old 11-04-2004, 09:29 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherifffruitfly
In any case, thanks everyone for the thoughts - I'm heading out later today to get the tenderloin(s)!
Ok, I lied - I'm heading out tomorrow to get the steaks and crab....

Tags
None