Crock Pot Kalua Pig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
It just doesn't get easier than this, and it's delicious.......

1 6lb pork butt roast
1 1/2 Tbs.. Hawaiian sea salt, or any sea salt
1 Tbs. liquid smoke

Make deep slits all over the roast with a long knife. Make a paste of the salt and liquid smoke, and massage it into the meat. (I use latex gloves)
Place the roast into the crockpot without any liquid. Cover, and cook on low for 10 to 12 hrs. Shred the meat, and add the drippings as needed to moisten.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traditionally, it is cooked in an underground oven, or pit, that is what "kalua" means. (not the liquor) It's a Hawaiian method of roasting pig. I would guess that the crock pot and the smoke flavoring simulate the taste.

thanks k-l, i'm gonna try this with the smoke.

i make a pulled pork in the crock pot with onions for my dept.'s holiday party every year that gets rave reviews, so i think i'll try one before then with the smoke.

i know a lot of purists cringe about a pork butt being cooked in it's own fat in a crock pot rather than a grill or smoker, but it turns out really well!

i know a lot of purists cringe about a pork butt being cooked in it's own fat in a crock pot rather than a grill or smoker, but it turns out really well!

"pig fat rules" Bucky. ;) Not something you'd want to clog the arteries on a regular basis but........
I think you'll really like this. Please save the onions for another butt though. :)

Glad you directed us towards this...copied and pasted. I'm off to buy a pork butt!

I saw this thread had a 4 star rating so I clicked on it to see what's so good......yuuuummmmmmm and easy too...great combination. I've never done a pork butt...guess I could never get past the name. I'll have to give it a try. :)

l:LOL: Mollyanne

Would it help to know that a pork butt isn't anywhere near the butt??

:pig: Pork Cut ID Tutorial
Pork_Cut_ID_Tutorial.html

Yep, the name pork butt seems strange, doesn't it? I did some research, and it turns out in pre-revolutionary New England and into the Revolutionary War, shoulder cuts were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for storage and shipment. And it's also weird that "living high on the hog" meaning affluent living, is actually " low on the hog " where the ham is. :wacko::pig:
I can make myself crazy with stuff like this.:wacko:

Yep, the name pork butt seems strange, doesn't it? I did some research, and it turns out in pre-revolutionary New England and into the Revolutionary War, shoulder cuts were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for storage and shipment. And it's also weird that "living high on the hog" meaning affluent living, is actually " low on the hog " where the ham is. :wacko::pig:
I can make myself crazy with stuff like this.:wacko:
:huh:...me too. Interesting.

Attachments

• Huh.jpg
    Huh.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 504
It just doesn't get easier than this, and it's delicious.......

1 6lb pork butt roast
1 1/2 Tbs.. Hawaiian sea salt, or any sea salt
1 Tbs. liquid smoke

Make deep slits all over the roast with a long knife. Make a paste of the salt and liquid smoke, and massage it into the meat. (I use latex gloves)
Place the roast into the crockpot without any liquid. Cover, and cook on low for 10 to 12 hrs. Shred the meat, and add the drippings as needed to moisten.

I'm going to try your version of Kalua Pig in the crockpot K,
mainly `cuz I ran out of banana leaves to make it my way.
Now I do have question though,
did you increase the salt or liquid smoke at all since posting this?

I'm going to try your version of Kalua Pig in the crockpot K,
mainly `cuz I ran out of banana leaves to make it my way.
Now I do have question though,
did you increase the salt or liquid smoke at all since posting this?

Kgirl, you're our favorite wahine now at DC. I posted this long before you came to us, and it's really very good. No, I haven't really changed the amount of salt or liquid smoke. My last cook, I used this stuff and it was really remarkable.
NOH Hawaiian Seasoning Salt All Purpose 8oz

Back
Top Bottom