"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 01-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I tend to shop one or two meals at a time, usually just for the weekend. If I'm going to be working with beef other than what I use for meatballs, I'll usually go to a butcher. Same thing with fish..usually go to the fish market.

I don't care for the butcher at the supermarket, either. Cannot get a thick pork chop unless you call a day ahead. It's so hard to get the quantity you actually want too.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
Executive Chef

We have a farm shop nearby that does all their own beef, lamb & chicken and brings excellent pork. They are great and you can get exactly what you want - one of my friends even got them to do a turdurken like thing. I usually buy in bulk. I will get other stuff from the supermarkets but not in any great quantity.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #13
Head Chef

There is a fantastic custom meat market an hour away from me. I haven't used it in some years, but they were excellent
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Our local Farm Fresh has a couple of upscale locations that are close by, that have great meat sections. When I bought veal shanks for osso buco a couple of months ago, they cut them to the size I requested. They make their own sausages - lots of flavors - and have great sales, too There's a new butcher in my town, but the hours are 10 am-5 pm only during the week, so I haven't been there yet.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I go to a small grocery store here that has a butcher. They really don't advertise it but I've asked for special orders numerous times and never a problem.
I also go to a butcher shop that's run by two women that has great meats. They've been in business for over 20 years now.

Barb
Old 01-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook View Post
I go to a small grocery store here that has a butcher. They really don't advertise it but I've asked for special orders numerous times and never a problem.
I also go to a butcher shop that's run by two women that has great meats. They've been in business for over 20 years now.

Barb
No secret about where you shop Barb...same as me. Family Foods and Barb & Patty's. The best part of Barb & Patty's is that they will cut you a roast for 2, 3 or however many people you intend to feed, or make chops and steaks exactly to your specifications. This sure minimizes leftovers and waste. Plus, they make a variety of ethnic sausages that rival the old world butchers...and never an additional charge! No wonder they are so successful.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #17
Sous Chef

As a kid our meat came from "the butcher" never the grocery store. If it was a special occassion we went down to Arthur Ave otherwise the local butcher (who is pretty good and still well supported)

One thing that is interesting is that the little strip of etcnic Italian shops we had out in the burbs used to be patronized almost exclusively by Italian-Americans and sort of snubbed by everyone else.... now they are regarded as specialty shops and people come from the tonier side of town to shop there. The merchandise has gone a bit more upscape too with more prepared foods etc.... we always had our fresh Mozz and Reggiano and Prociutto DiParma etc as well as the fresh butcherd meats.. and fresh cannoli. the rest of town cought on late.

For me I would like to get my meat from a butcher but most of the time I dont have the time. None of the local stuff is open when I get off work so its Shop Rite for me... but not happily
Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
I don't care for the butcher at the supermarket, either. Cannot get a thick pork chop unless you call a day ahead. It's so hard to get the quantity you actually want too.
Same thing in my area.

One store actually has a decent meat counter with extra thick cuts, but you're paying $12-15 lb.

I had to yell at the DW the other day again when she came home with pork chops that had the big "thin cut" sticker on the package. You can't do a THING with them besides chop them up for stir fry or tacos.

I like to use a butcher for very large cuts (8 bone roasts, fresh turkey, etc.) But most of the time it's the supermarket.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Thin chops....

[quote=Jeekinz;777943]Same thing in my area.

One store actually has a decent meat counter with extra thick cuts, but you're paying $12-15 lb.

I had to yell at the DW the other day again when she came home with pork chops that had the big "thin cut" sticker on the package. You can't do a THING with them besides chop them up for stir fry or tacos.

I take the thin, bone in chops, and grill 'em and wrap them in foil to bake for about half an hour. Great flavor and they make great "sammitches".
Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #20
Sous Chef

I use the supermarket as we don't have a local butcher, I am married to one though which helps...trouble is we spend twice as long at the meat counter, 'cause everyone is asking him which is the best cut to buy! lol

Tags
None