Do you use a "real" butcher?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
How many of you actually shop at a meat market and not the grocery store? I've really become irritated with the lack of knowledge, support, and variety of the grocery store "meat market". I asked the "butcher" at the grocery store yesterday if he had any short ribs. A painfull, puzzled face said "yeah, I have some, but after they did that article in the paper, the price jumped to $5.95 a lb. They really arn't worth that, but I'll cut 'em for 'ya if you want". (In the display case was lamb chops for $16.00 a pound.) So, if he doesn't cut and display them, what will he do with them? That's the sort of service I've been subjected to for a long time. How 'bout you?

Yes. I'm blessed to have a "real" butcher. They've been in business for almost 80 years and have the most beautiful meats. Their short ribs are to die for. Their meats are trimmed beautifully, which means I am getting value for my $$$. Their prices are, in most cases, less expensive than my area grocery stores, even Wal-Mart.

I love the local meat market here. Not only is the meat fresh (an actual butcher in the back cuts it up all day), but more often than not they actually beat the prices of the national chains in the area (Wal-Mart, Shop & Save, Giant Eagle, etc.), and a MUCH better product. I don't know how they do it, but they do!

The closest thing we have to a "real" butcher is a little mom & pop grocery about 20 miles from here. They have some of the best meat around here. There is similar store here in town, come to think of it, and I have bought some meat there as well.

I have lived in South Carolina for so long that I forgot that in California our grocery stores didn't just have packaged meats, as they do here. I visited my family in California last year and did a double-take when I saw the huge meat cases, with a visible butcher. Our stores do have a butcher, but the meats are all packaged and put out on display. They will cut things to order for you, but I don't think most people know that, as it isn't advertised.

:)Barbara

When I was a kid there used to be 3 great mom and pop grocery stores in town with "real butchers" and great meat.

Now we are down to one, but they do great business and I don't see them going out of business anytime soon. They even deliver.

I have 2 in my neighborhood but go seldom. The grocery stores have sales and are just so convenient !!!!

I miss our butcher from back home. There's no actual butcher here but Harris Teeter has a guy that can cut meat but they don't have a choice in what they receive from corporate.

I tend to shop one or two meals at a time, usually just for the weekend. If I'm going to be working with beef other than what I use for meatballs, I'll usually go to a butcher. Same thing with fish..usually go to the fish market.

I don't care for the butcher at the supermarket, either. Cannot get a thick pork chop unless you call a day ahead. It's so hard to get the quantity you actually want too.

We have a farm shop nearby that does all their own beef, lamb & chicken and brings excellent pork. They are great and you can get exactly what you want - one of my friends even got them to do a turdurken like thing. I usually buy in bulk. I will get other stuff from the supermarkets but not in any great quantity.

There is a fantastic custom meat market an hour away from me. I haven't used it in some years, but they were excellent

Our local Farm Fresh has a couple of upscale locations that are close by, that have great meat sections. When I bought veal shanks for osso buco a couple of months ago, they cut them to the size I requested. They make their own sausages - lots of flavors - and have great sales, too :) There's a new butcher in my town, but the hours are 10 am-5 pm only during the week, so I haven't been there yet.

I go to a small grocery store here that has a butcher. They really don't advertise it but I've asked for special orders numerous times and never a problem.
I also go to a butcher shop that's run by two women that has great meats. They've been in business for over 20 years now.

Barb

I go to a small grocery store here that has a butcher. They really don't advertise it but I've asked for special orders numerous times and never a problem.
I also go to a butcher shop that's run by two women that has great meats. They've been in business for over 20 years now.

Barb

No secret about where you shop Barb...same as me. Family Foods and Barb & Patty's. The best part of Barb & Patty's is that they will cut you a roast for 2, 3 or however many people you intend to feed, or make chops and steaks exactly to your specifications. This sure minimizes leftovers and waste. Plus, they make a variety of ethnic sausages that rival the old world butchers...and never an additional charge! No wonder they are so successful.

As a kid our meat came from "the butcher" never the grocery store. If it was a special occassion we went down to Arthur Ave otherwise the local butcher (who is pretty good and still well supported)

One thing that is interesting is that the little strip of etcnic Italian shops we had out in the burbs used to be patronized almost exclusively by Italian-Americans and sort of snubbed by everyone else.... now they are regarded as specialty shops and people come from the tonier side of town to shop there. The merchandise has gone a bit more upscape too with more prepared foods etc.... we always had our fresh Mozz and Reggiano and Prociutto DiParma etc as well as the fresh butcherd meats.. and fresh cannoli. the rest of town cought on late.

For me I would like to get my meat from a butcher but most of the time I dont have the time. None of the local stuff is open when I get off work so its Shop Rite for me... but not happily

I don't care for the butcher at the supermarket, either. Cannot get a thick pork chop unless you call a day ahead. It's so hard to get the quantity you actually want too.

Same thing in my area.

One store actually has a decent meat counter with extra thick cuts, but you're paying $12-15 lb.

I had to yell at the DW the other day again when she came home with pork chops that had the big "thin cut" sticker on the package. You can't do a THING with them besides chop them up for stir fry or tacos.

I like to use a butcher for very large cuts (8 bone roasts, fresh turkey, etc.) But most of the time it's the supermarket.

Thin chops....

Same thing in my area.

One store actually has a decent meat counter with extra thick cuts, but you're paying $12-15 lb.

I had to yell at the DW the other day again when she came home with pork chops that had the big "thin cut" sticker on the package. You can't do a THING with them besides chop them up for stir fry or tacos.

I take the thin, bone in chops, and grill 'em and wrap them in foil to bake for about half an hour. Great flavor and they make great "sammitches".

I use the supermarket as we don't have a local butcher, I am married to one though which helps...trouble is we spend twice as long at the meat counter, 'cause everyone is asking him which is the best cut to buy! lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom