"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Old 09-14-2004, 06:38 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Goodweed - Looks great - love those flavors! Could you describe the 'Balderson' cheese for those of us who don't have access to it? Is it a really sharp, aged cheddar? Tx!

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:59 AM   #12
Executive Chef
How lean was the beef?

Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:02 AM   #13
Master Chef
I use regular 80% lean ground beef. I don't use hamburger as it's too fatty. I sometimes use extra lean ground beef, but then you have to add a binder such as egg to glue it together as extra lean is just too dry.

The Balderson cheese is a very sharp Cheddar. Depending on the aging, it runs from a slightly dry texture to so dry, there are minute crystals of salt that crunch softly btween your teeth. It has a well ballanced, full cheddar flavor, not too salty, not too acidic.

The only other cheddar I've had of the same quality came from an artisan cheese-maker from Wisconsin. Sadly, I can only get it by contacting the maker's brother, who is a freind of mine, but lives about 200 miles west of me.

Check your local cheese specialty shops. I know most places have an outstanding cheese maker somewhere nearby. Make sure the cheese is from a small producer, not a huge food maker. The big guys can't afford the time required to produce a truly great cheese.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Dry Meatloaf

This is my first post. I enjoy reading all your ideas. So here goes. I made a great tasting meatloaf but it was very dry. Is there anything I can do to is after the fact to make the leftovers be moister? I could use some help here. Thanks to anyone who has an idea.
Hiltimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Lots of meatloaf recipes include a glaze or a gravy. Maybe you could reheat it, covered with foil in a bit of gravy or broth?
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
try adding at least two eggs and break up two slices of bread soaked in milk; squeeze out the milk before adding and als place a glass pan filled with water placed under the meatloaf on the oven rack
Ginny D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
Master Chef
Are you using the leftovers for sandwiches? That's the best reason to make a meatloaf in my opinion.

For a cold meatloaf sandwich with sliced onion and tomato, (my favorite) all you need is more mayo.

For hot meatloaf sandwiches, just make up some simple gravy and pour over the top. A simple gravy can be made with 2 melted Tbs. butter, add 2 Tbs. flour, cook for a bit, and whisk in 1 cup of beef broth.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Hiltimama, it's helpful to us if you post your recipe along with your request to improve it, so we know what you're already doing

In my recipe, I use one egg and one slice of bread with about 1 cup of milk mixed with 1 lb. of ground beef (80 or 85% lean) and a half pound of ground pork, along with onion and the other seasonings. Very lean ground beef will lead to dry meatloaf.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I like to take leftover meatloaf and slice and fry it on low just to heat through and get a little crust on it. I then serve it with a little catsup or gravy.

I also make my meatloaf with 73/27 meat, it's more moist and flavorful.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
Flour Child
Hi Zhizara!!! I've been looking for you. Great to see you again. These are all great suggestions, Hiltimama. You're in good hands here. It's amazing how helpful all of the DCers are. If you have juice leftover in the bottom of the pan after cooking your meatloaf, you could save it, reheat it later, and pour it over the leftover meat.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote