Dry meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you slice the cold leftover meatloaf really thin , heat it up and smother in hot gravy, you won't even realize that it is dry.

I soak dry bread in just enough milk to soften it. The enzymes in the milk help make the meat tender. Flavorings are a personal choice. But in this part of the country, ketchup on the top and some tomato product in the meat mixture is a must. I also let the mixture rest before shaping it. Sometimes it is the manner of which it is made as well as the ingredients. :angel:

Here's my meatloaf recipe and it is pretty juicy.

2lb 80/20 ground beef
2 celery stalks diced
2 carrots shredded on cheese grater
1 lg onion small dice
1/4 cup italian bread crumbs
1 egg
fresh chopped parsley,thyme.oregano,sage

Mix all ingredients loosly and form loosely into a pan with room around the edges.
bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or untill juices run clear

optional:
2 small cans mushrooms
1/4 cup flax meal
BBQ sauce or ketchup or salsa poured in trough formed on top of loaf

When I make a ml with onions and tomato (for example) I puree the veggies to release moisture into the loaf. The real key is to not overcook it. Use a meat thermometer.

I'm going to try making meatloaf with my new best friend: sous vide!! Will have to let you know how it goes. Probably wont happen til Wednesday, since I work every night til then. Haven't made meatloaf in ages!

my meatloaf came out dry. what did i do wrong?

Meat needs salt inside (not outside) to retain moisture. Next time add a bit more salt, mix it in well, maybe also add an oz of water to the mix. Another suggestion, add fresh bread instead of bread crumbs. Lastly, place a pan of water in the over while it is cooking. These are just guesses.

Back
Top Bottom