Fav. Sausage(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
Whats your favorite?

I just picked up chicken and apple sausage thats pretty decent.
I love hot sausages.

In actuality, I prefer chicken sausages to pork, dont ask me why.

Bratwurst, Lincolnshire and Cumbrian (in the spiral).

although there is a local lad that makes his own pork and sage with leeks that`s darn good, but you would never be able to buy that unless you came here.

My fav. is real Italian sausage but I do like others. I have recently tried the chicken (flavored type) sausage. They are okay. Have their place.

I would not use Chicken for most of my pasta dishes, it certainly does have its place though, and thats in my belly.

Boudain. Unfortunately the only way we can get it here is to make it ourselves, which we gotta do soon now that I am thinking about it.

These days, since hubby doesn't eat red meat, I only buy chicken & turkey sausages. Luckily, the different types/flavors available are staggering. Some favorites are "Artichoke & Garlic", "Chorizo", "Andouille", "Cilantro & Chili", "Basil & SunDried Tomato", "Spinach & Feta Cheese", "Italian Cheese", "Hot Italian", "Sweet Italian" - the list truly is virtually endless. And they're all SO GOOD!!

For myself alone, my favorite sausage would have to be "Jeternice", which is a Czech liver & grain (usually rice or barley) sausage. It was usually served with another Czech sausage - "Jelitzy" - which is a blood & barley sausage. The Jeternice was always my favorite though. Traditionally served in my family with Czech bread dumplings & sauerkraut.

I haven't enjoyed it in over 30 years, but did just find a Chicago sausage maker that ships it & absolutely positively MADE my elderly parents' Xmas by sending them 5 pounds of each. My dad was practically crying over the phone he was so happy.

My favorite would be some of my grandfather's country/breakfast pork sausage, but it's no longer available.

There is a local organic butcher shop near me that does a very nice country/breakfast sausage. I have lately developed an affinity for beef smoked sausage.

Breezy Cooking,
Where in Chicago did you find the sausage. I, too, love it and haven't had any in a very long time.

I lived in Cedar Rapids Iowa for a long time and one butcher made Jeternice and it was so good, Now we have one butcher that make some sausage but none I care for.

My dad use to buy this pork country breakfast sausage when i was a kid some 60 yrs
ago and It was the best I have ever eaten, made by our postmaster in our little town
he also owned one of the grocery stores. now days I like to make homemade chorizo. I wished though someday make my own pork sausage.

Italian sausage, followed closely by Andouille, followed closely by practically every other sausage known to human kind.

Being in the sausage capital of the world (Germany) there are so many...Weisswurst (white sausage), Thuringer Bratwurst, Polish Kielbasa, Austrian Bosna (sausage in a type of baguette with onions and yellow curry powder etc. Also, something of a Berliner specialty: A sausage cut into pieces, doused in ketchup, and sprinkled generously with red curry powder.

Being in the sausage capital of the world (Germany) there are so many...Weisswurst (white sausage), Thuringer Bratwurst, Polish Kielbasa, Austrian Bosna (sausage in a type of baguette with onions and yellow curry powder etc. Also, something of a Berliner specialty: A sausage cut into pieces, doused in ketchup, and sprinkled generously with red curry powder.

:) I love the sausage in Germany its not greasy or over salted.

We have a local farm shop that does really good sausages which we get for a treat. Our local Lidl also stocks some greta sausages in six varities which are good with very little fat.

Back
Top Bottom