Favorite Hotdog Brand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) Well I guess I better try that method I just remember that at events like a horse race etc they always tasted really great and I know they were not boiled but that's how I got them as a kid

In no particular order:

Nathan's
Hebrew National
Sabrettes (sp)
Oscar Meyer:pig:

Nothing comes close to Smiths with skins, so I second one of those first responses :chef:

When I was a kid..:rolleyes: 100 years or so ago..I use to go to the store for Mom and keep looking at the ground for change or go the back way down the alley and look for soda bottles to turn in for change. I only needed a dime. I would then go to the butcher and buy a short fat hot dog. they came linked together so he would cut one off for me. I would eat it on the way home. I haven't found any that even come close to those.:ermm:

:LOL::LOL::LOL: I've never seen a hot dog on fire. Anyway doe's broiling make it better? I'm curious.
You'll see a big difference in taste if you broil them vs boiling. I always boiled mine too because my mom did but someone suggested broiling and I've never boiled again. Try it next time. It only takes a couple of minutes and no pot to clean.

Smith's skinned. I don't know how widesppread they are because they are made in Erie..... Smith's Provisions makes a great ham, too. They are the dog of choice up around here. I buy them still connected in links.
I had some hot dogs in an Omaha Steak order that were quite tasty.....
I hear the place where I got my chuck from makes great hot dogs. They are on my short list of places to get out to and "browse". Gotta try and support a small town butcher that grows his own, especially when they are located that far out of town :LOL:

Our next door neighbors are from Edinborough, PA, and they introduced us to Smiths 15 years ago.We affectionately call them "Erie Dogs," and have had them 'imported' from Erie on a regular schedule (Jim works for Erie Sports Store) until recently when they started offering them in our stores in the Cleveland area. We LOVE them!

Joe

Ewww, no, don't boil them. They need some caramelization to be good. I cook them either in the grill pan, the toaster oven, or on the grill. Can't stand boiled hot dogs.

+1 on that!
img_582649_0_394d01cbbf4e6bb8b536080a6194cd05.gif

.....unless I'm chopping them up to mix in with my mac and cheese. LOL

Basically Sabrett, Nathan's, Hebrew National and OM. OM in our chili dog casserole. Have used others for that but they just don't seem to work as well. OM also has a taste I just enjoy once in a while.

And yes, many of the brands mentioned have never heard of, let alone seen.
For the poster who has never seen Nathan's, they are, I believe, all over the US, maybe not just available in some localities.

As far as cooking, grilling or broiliing works well. Can saute them to good effect. In a hurry will nuke, sorry, sorry, I will atone, I promise. Nah.

And yes, have boiled them and do not find them all that bad. Kinda lets one enjoy the flavor of the dog without the grilling flavors. Only do that with dogs I like the inherent flavor of.

Remember as a kid they used to have these roller cookers in stores and such. They were like the cookers one finds in 7-11 for their sausages - those sausages always look so pitiful. The dogs cooked on those rollers always tasted so good to me. Haven't had one of those in, oh, forty years or so. But I remember I used to love them.

We here at DC can talk about all kind of foods, but bring up the dog and everyone has an opinion.

OMG! That is so weird! It's like....like....you haven't heard of McDonalds or something! :huh:

:LOL:

My supermarket sells packages of Nathan's.

The first time we went to Aruba for vacation, we stumbled across a Nathan's hot dog stand! We went there more than once. The next year when we went back, it was gone. I was quite disappointed.

I keep hot dogs and buns in the freezer and sauerkraut all the time. I love a quick meal of bun and hot dog steamed in the microwave and topped with mustard and 'kraut. They are even better on the grill.

Ball Park is what I usually get. I don't think I have ever tried anything else except for Oscar Meyer and was dissapointed. I want to try HN, but just have not had the wild hair to do so.

Boiled weenies... yuck! I usually split mine and fry them in a saute pan. I like them nice and charred!

I like them on the grill best, but usually we do them on the little George Foreman. Dh could eat them everyday, but I'm not that crazy about them. I don't like them boiled at all. We use bun length Ball Park, OM, or Nathan's - whichever is on sale. We have either cole slaw or sauerkraut on them.

I'm a Sabrette's girl...followed closely by Nathan's and Thumanns.

Did you know that prior to the invention of the hot dog bun, people ate the sausages wearing white cotton gloves supplied by the vendor? You would order your sausage, and he'd hand you a glove to wear to protect your hand. The problem was, many people walked off with the glove, in addition to the laundering process each evening. It was a frankfurter maker's wife who suggested a type of bread that wouldn't overpower the meat, yet be sturdy enough to hold the sausage...

Our next door neighbors are from Edinborough, PA, and they introduced us to Smiths 15 years ago.We affectionately call them "Erie Dogs," and have had them 'imported' from Erie on a regular schedule (Jim works for Erie Sports Store) until recently when they started offering them in our stores in the Cleveland area. We LOVE them!

Joe

I happen to be heading to Edinboro today :)

Grilling is #1, but I like them boiled once in a while for a changeup. And even uncooked on a fresh bun with mustard. Better than baloney!
When I was a kid I used to spear one on a fork and cook it over the gas burner on the stove :ohmy: Don't know if mom knew about that.... :ermm:

My favourite are the swedish ones they do in Ikea.

They only thing that keeps me going all the way round the shop is the thought of their hot dogs at the end!

Godweed, see if you can get Koegel's ... they're made in Michigan and I can't find them outside of MI. They are FANTASTIC.

DH likes the new Ball Park Angus ... locally I like Chermake Stadium (or a good local skinned wiener GRILLED over the skinless variety). Hebrew National (beef) are very good. Some stores are starting to carry Nathan's, but they're $5. Outside of a craving (or a good Chicago hot dog stand) the whole point of a hot dog is that it's fast and relatively cheap. I can buy a whole pork tenderloin for $5! :)

Speaking of boiling ... way back when in a former life (pre-teen in Jackson, MI) there was a chain called LUMS across the street and they cooked the dogs in beer. I don't think they were boiled, I think just placed in the steam table and warmed in beer rather than water. Then you could order to your liking or with chili and/or cheese and they had this steamer apparatus, much like Orange Julius uses now which melted the cheese and softened the bun. Wow, maybe it's just the memory, but I can almost taste a chili cheese dog with mustard and onion right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom