Favorite Hotdog Brand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:)Iv'e tried many brands of hotdogs and can't seem to really like them although I used to. The latest I bought is in my freezer until I get a so called craving. They are Ball Parks Angus Beef Franks. Has anyone tried them yet? What is your favorite brand?

Stop by in town, go into a russian store pick up some smoked pork hot dogs. You'll like them for sure.

Smith's skinned. I don't know how widesppread they are because they are made in Erie..... Smith's Provisions makes a great ham, too. They are the dog of choice up around here. I buy them still connected in links.
I had some hot dogs in an Omaha Steak order that were quite tasty.....
I hear the place where I got my chuck from makes great hot dogs. They are on my short list of places to get out to and "browse". Gotta try and support a small town butcher that grows his own, especially when they are located that far out of town :LOL:

May sound crazy but I get Hebrew National Kosher Beef hot dogs from Costco, almost as good as the ones from my kid days. Those were made by a local german butcher who made all of his own sausages. If you can find them I don't think you will be disappointed.

I usually go with Nathans or Sabrett if I'm shopping. A quick trip to the corner store on a weekend and I come home with Dietz & Watson.

The absolute best are from a hot dog truck in Jersey City near the NJ Turnpike entrance. Kraut and mustard on a dog that literally "snaps" when you bite into it. I could eat 40 of 'em.;)

I usually go with Nathans or Sabrett if I'm shopping. A quick trip to the corner store on a weekend and I come home with Dietz & Watson.

The absolute best are from a hot dog truck in Jersey City near the NJ Turnpike entrance. Kraut and mustard on a dog that literally "snaps" when you bite into it. I could eat 40 of 'em.;)
Do you have them with some celery, too?:LOL: Seriously, most of these hot dog brands must be regional because I've never seen them at my local stores.

Do you have them with some celery, too?:LOL: Seriously, most of these hot dog brands must be regional because I've never seen them at my local stores.

I was thinking the same exact thing. :LOL: I never heard of Pinks until today.

Celery?.....no, but I have been known to indulge in the fermented grape juice department.
img_582533_0_bbc9a7273aa8f63a7e88f394463055d5.gif

If I'm in San Diego, I get Wrath's Blackhawk brand. In Michigan, I get Volwurth's, National - Kosher, Best, or these great hot dogs made by one of our local meat markets. One of these days, I'm going to make my own and see if I can't improve on the hot dog.;)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Aside from OM, I've never seen or heard of these brands either.
Apparently hot dog brands aren't as widespread as Spam :wacko:

I've only heard of Hebrew National and Oscar Meyer. No one has heard of Nathans? They sponsor the yearly hot dog eating contest.

:) I can get OM, Ball Park, Hebrew National, Nathans and a couple of other mainstream brands but have not been happy. Maybe I need to cook them a different way, I usually boil them. I'm looking forward to try the Angus Beef Dogs. Living in the middle of nowhere I have no access to house made dogs. I'm willing to do mail order also Knackwurst have been an issue with me for a few years. Maybe I just don't like sausage anymore that would be really sad. I think my trip to Germany 10 years ago really changed my tastes toward sausage.

I like charcoal and lighter fluid essence on my dogs. In fact, I have a bag of Match Light just for hot dogs. lol

I like charcoal and lighter fluid essence on my dogs. In fact, I have a bag of Match Light just for hot dogs. lol
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: See, these are the secrets good cooks hold back from us lowly newbies. Who'd have ever suspected lighter fluid essence?? I just put a series of diagonal cuts along each hot dog and them put them under the broiler. (Here's a warning, though, that should be on the hot dog package IMO. If you forget about them under the broiler, hot dogs are flammable.)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: See, these are the secrets good cooks hold back from us lowly newbies. Who'd have ever suspected lighter fluid essence?? I just put a series of diagonal cuts along each hot dog and them put them under the broiler. (Here's a warning, though, that should be on the hot dog package IMO. If you forget about them under the broiler, hot dogs are flammable.)
:LOL::LOL::LOL: I've never seen a hot dog on fire. Anyway doe's broiling make it better? I'm curious.

:) I can get OM, Ball Park, Hebrew National, Nathans and a couple of other mainstream brands but have not been happy. Maybe I need to cook them a different way, I usually boil them. I'm looking forward to try the Angus Beef Dogs. Living in the middle of nowhere I have no access to house made dogs. I'm willing to do mail order also Knackwurst have been an issue with me for a few years. Maybe I just don't like sausage anymore that would be really sad. I think my trip to Germany 10 years ago really changed my tastes toward sausage.

Ewww, no, don't boil them. They need some caramelization to be good. I cook them either in the grill pan, the toaster oven, or on the grill. Can't stand boiled hot dogs.

Back
Top Bottom