"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 04-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Favorite Hotdog Brand

Iv'e tried many brands of hotdogs and can't seem to really like them although I used to. The latest I bought is in my freezer until I get a so called craving. They are Ball Parks Angus Beef Franks. Has anyone tried them yet? What is your favorite brand?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Master Chef

Stop by in town, go into a russian store pick up some smoked pork hot dogs. You'll like them for sure.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Oscar Mayer or Bryan's.......The "Pork"(turkey, pork and stuff) ones.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Smith's skinned. I don't know how widesppread they are because they are made in Erie..... Smith's Provisions makes a great ham, too. They are the dog of choice up around here. I buy them still connected in links.
I had some hot dogs in an Omaha Steak order that were quite tasty.....
I hear the place where I got my chuck from makes great hot dogs. They are on my short list of places to get out to and "browse". Gotta try and support a small town butcher that grows his own, especially when they are located that far out of town
Old 04-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

May sound crazy but I get Hebrew National Kosher Beef hot dogs from Costco, almost as good as the ones from my kid days. Those were made by a local german butcher who made all of his own sausages. If you can find them I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Pearle Kountry Klub 1/4 Pound Hot Dogs.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I usually go with Nathans or Sabrett if I'm shopping. A quick trip to the corner store on a weekend and I come home with Dietz & Watson.

The absolute best are from a hot dog truck in Jersey City near the NJ Turnpike entrance. Kraut and mustard on a dog that literally "snaps" when you bite into it. I could eat 40 of 'em.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I usually go with Nathans or Sabrett if I'm shopping. A quick trip to the corner store on a weekend and I come home with Dietz & Watson.

The absolute best are from a hot dog truck in Jersey City near the NJ Turnpike entrance. Kraut and mustard on a dog that literally "snaps" when you bite into it. I could eat 40 of 'em.
Do you have them with some celery, too? Seriously, most of these hot dog brands must be regional because I've never seen them at my local stores.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Do you have them with some celery, too? Seriously, most of these hot dog brands must be regional because I've never seen them at my local stores.
I was thinking the same exact thing. I never heard of Pinks until today.

Celery?.....no, but I have been known to indulge in the fermented grape juice department.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
Master Chef

If I'm in San Diego, I get Wrath's Blackhawk brand. In Michigan, I get Volwurth's, National - Kosher, Best, or these great hot dogs made by one of our local meat markets. One of these days, I'm going to make my own and see if I can't improve on the hot dog.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None