Frozen Meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
None Of The Above received DC's Clear Choice Award. Trader Joe's was the only brand mentioned, but they had mixed reviews.

It was pointed out that frozen meatballs, wrapped in bacon and smoked, and served with copious amounts of alcohol, were acceptable. It is assumed that the intent was to put them in a smoker, rather than actually smoking the meatballs (Mellow Yellow?).

Can anyone recommend a good brand of canned spaghetti?

Franco-American SpaghettiOs, especially the one with the cocktail wienies mixed in.

No, just no. When I was staying with Craig's brother after he was diagnosed with cancer, he decided he wanted some Spaghetti O's. So, I bought a couple of cans and warmed them up for our dinner 1 night. We both took 1 bite and decided to order pizza.

I tried frozen meatballs just once. Hard as a rock and no flavor. I'll either make them myself or do without. In addition to making them as part of a sunday ragu sauce with sausages, I'll make them with sauce for meatball subs, one of SO's favorites.

I didn't read through the entire thread, so hopefully I am not repeating an answer. I do from time to time buy the Sams Club house brand of meatballs, the smaller size. There is a trick to them though, don't just put them right into the sauce. Brown them first and brown them well on all sides. It makes a HUGE difference in flavor. I almost threw out the first bad I bought when I didn't brown them first.

I didn't read through the entire thread, so hopefully I am not repeating an answer. I do from time to time buy the Sams Club house brand of meatballs, the smaller size. There is a trick to them though, don't just put them right into the sauce. Brown them first and brown them well on all sides. It makes a HUGE difference in flavor. I almost threw out the first bad I bought when I didn't brown them first.

I place mine on a cake rack that has a pan below for the drippings and put in the oven on 350ºF. They brown in just a matter of minutes and have a much better flavor. You also can use the dripping (or some of it) for your sauce. And you don't have to stand over them while they are browning. Frees you up to do something else. But keep your eyes on the oven. Also they don't fall apart so easily.

Frozen meatballs is one thing I can't do! No flavor at all and the texture is just no comparison to homemade! if I ever try them again I'll try the browning trick, (thank you boss man and addie) but I'm definitely reluctant!

Frozen meatballs is one thing I can't do! No flavor at all and the texture is just no comparison to homemade! if I ever try them again I'll try the browning trick, (thank you boss man and addie) but I'm definitely reluctant!

Merlot, I NEVER buy frozen meatballs. I make my own. I happen to have cookie scoops (dashers is the proper name for them), that I use. After I have mixed all the meat, I then use my dasher. Take a scoop, plop it on the cookie rack, and then when that is full, I go back and roll each scoop by hand. Put in the over and bake. Turn them all once and let finish baking. When both sides are nice and brown, and crispy, I then take them out and allow to cool. Put in a zippy bag and into the freezer. Sure beats standing at the stove and turning each one and getting the stove all greasy. I put the catch pan in the fridge also. The fat solidifies and is easier to remove. Then it easier to clean.

This method allows me to rid my food of a lot of the fat. It allows me to purchase the 80% meat if I am not grinding my own. I know the fat provides a lot of the flavor in the meat. But I would rather depend on my seasonings to do that. If you use the right seasonings, you won't miss the fat.

Right now I have a bag full of meatballs that I made a couple of weeks ago. I have a large jar of pasta sauce in the fridge. I pour it into a pan, add a couple of meatballs, and I have supper in a flash. By the time the meatballs are thawed and heated through, the pasta is ready to eat.

If I have no jarred tomato sauce on hand, then a can of tomatoes with my own seasonings cooked for a short time. The meatballs with also add their flavor to the sauce.

Growing up, all the Nonas that I knew, were in the kitchen cooking for their Italian families and cooked their Sunday gravy all day. But I have since learned that even with a can of crushed tomatoes, the flavor is much fresher when it is cooked for a shorter time. I have even made a gravy with fresh tomatoes right from the garden. Crush them and cook like you would a can of crushed tomatoes.

Merlot, I NEVER buy frozen meatballs. I make my own. I happen to have cookie scoops (dashers is the proper name for them), that I use. After I have mixed all the meat, I then use my dasher. Take a scoop, plop it on the cookie rack, and then when that is full, I go back and roll each scoop by hand. Put in the over and bake. Turn them all once and let finish baking. When both sides are nice and brown, and crispy, I then take them out and allow to cool. Put in a zippy bag and into the freezer. Sure beats standing at the stove and turning each one and getting the stove all greasy. I put the catch pan in the fridge also. The fat solidifies and is easier to remove. Then it easier to clean.

This method allows me to rid my food of a lot of the fat. It allows me to purchase the 80% meat if I am not grinding my own. I know the fat provides a lot of the flavor in the meat. But I would rather depend on my seasonings to do that. If you use the right seasonings, you won't miss the fat.

Right now I have a bag full of meatballs that I made a couple of weeks ago. I have a large jar of pasta sauce in the fridge. I pour it into a pan, add a couple of meatballs, and I have supper in a flash. By the time the meatballs are thawed and heated through, the pasta is ready to eat.

If I have no jarred tomato sauce on hand, then a can of tomatoes with my own seasonings cooked for a short time. The meatballs with also add their flavor to the sauce.

Growing up, all the Nonas that I knew, were in the kitchen cooking for their Italian families and cooked their Sunday gravy all day. But I have since learned that even with a can of crushed tomatoes, the flavor is much fresher when it is cooked for a shorter time. I have even made a gravy with fresh tomatoes right from the garden. Crush them and cook like you would a can of crushed tomatoes.
Ah! Gotcha, not sure where I got that from! I bake mine too, took me awhile to learn to do that instead of on the stove. :wacko: I love anything with tomatoes. Last night I was thinking of what all I can make when my garden produces ( we got a late start) but tomato dumplings are at the top of my list! Have you ever tried them??

Ah! Gotcha, not sure where I got that from! I bake mine too, took me awhile to learn to do that instead of on the stove. :wacko: I love anything with tomatoes. Last night I was thinking of what all I can make when my garden produces ( we got a late start) but tomato dumplings are at the top of my list! Have you ever tried them??

No. Now that I live and cook for just myself, I tend to make simple and quick dishes. I don't eat very much. Pirate does his own cooking. He love Italian food. Me, even though I grew up in an Italian town, I am a simple cook now. I have always cooked everything from scratch. And I would rather bake than cook. When I buy tomatoes I always buy them on the vine. They last longer. I use them mostly in BLT or just out of hand with a salt shaker in hand. Sometimes I will take all of them and make a quick sauce. Toss in a meatball or two and make a sub sandwich. YUM!

No. Now that I live and cook for just myself, I tend to make simple and quick dishes. I don't eat very much. Pirate does his own cooking. He love Italian food. Me, even though I grew up in an Italian town, I am a simple cook now. I have always cooked everything from scratch. And I would rather bake than cook. When I buy tomatoes I always buy them on the vine. They last longer. I use them mostly in BLT or just out of hand with a salt shaker in hand. Sometimes I will take all of them and make a quick sauce. Toss in a meatball or two and make a sub sandwich. YUM!
Sounds delicious to me!

Have you posted the recipe for tomato dumplings? If not please do. I have never heard of this.

Frozen meatballs have the texture of one of those pink rubber balls to me. :ermm: And not spicy enough. I make nice tender spicy Italian meatballs. Sorry if this comment offends anyone.

Last edited:
I use frozen meatballs all the time and love them...of course, I make them up myself and then freeze them. I don't use any breadcrumbs because they have to be gluten free and they turn out great. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom