"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2017, 12:15 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I only use frozen Italian meatballs to make MOINK balls. You wrap the balls with bacon and cook them on a smoker. The bacon and smoke take over the flavor of the meatballs, so what you start with doesn't matter much.

I always use the same frozen meatballs, but can't for the life of me remember the brand name. I just recognize the bag.

BTW, if you live in the REAL Austin, going to Round Rock is a real buzzkill. Just not weird enough.

CD
I forgot to mention that you are usually in some stage of intoxication when you eat MOINK balls, so the quality of the meatballs is not that important.

You really can make your own and freeze them pretty easily. That way you can also mix beef and pork for a better tasting meatball.

CD

Old 03-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I have always made my own. The only difference is I do bake them before freezing them.

There is a company that always has a coupon for their Italian meatballs. I bought them once. Even Teddy the dog wouldn't eat them. Get yourself a dasher (ice cream scoop) and plop them on a foil covered sheet pan. Roll each one into a ball. Place in the oven, cook about five-ten minutes, Turn them over with your tongs, finish them for about another five minutes. If they need additional cooking, they can be finished off in the sauce.

Regarding the dasher. I have three sizes. Real small. Perfect for appetizers. A size 20. Perfect for Chocolate Chip Cookies. And a larger one. Great for huge cookies for the small grandchildren. Big enough to make a face with M&M's. Or frost with their name after baking. I use the size 20 for meatballs that are going into the freezer.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
Has anyone found a decent brand of these at the grocery?

I know this is a cooking forum, so it's a bit embarasing to admit, that now that we only cook for two...

I've been using some pretty good bottled sauce for our After Work spagehiti suppers..

But the frozen Meatballs are just sad...

The grocery is very Large Chain, or else High End.

They did open a Trader Joe's here, but I have not been there yet.

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.
Don't mess about with supermarkets. Find a good independent butcher who makes his own and has a quick turn over.

Alternatively (and I'm with Addie here) if you can buy very fresh minced (ground) meat (again - the good independent butcher), make your own and freeze in 2 person packages. That way you can use whatever meat (pork, beef, lamb or even venison) you like and the seasoning that you prefer. Use an ice cream scoop of your required size to portion out or enlist the help of the grandchildren (supervise the hand-washing before and afterwards!) who'll love getting messy while rolling the balls.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #14
Master Chef

Store bought frozen meatballs are pretty gross if you ask me.

Meatballs are one of the easiest things in the world to make yourself. Particularly if you bake them on a sheet pan, rather than fry them.

Make your own and freeze them.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #15
Master Chef

I don't think I've ever bought prepared frozen meatballs. My older daughter and the boys like the ones from TJ's.

Another one here who makes them and portions them out for the freezer. In fact I just checked and I'm out, need to replenish the supply. They're so handy to have on hand.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

In defense of Eric, he obviously doesn't want to make meatballs, he wants to buy them.
Asking for recommendations was his purpose, rather than make him feel he has to make them. As I mentioned before, I like Trader Joe's brand, but some may not.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'd like to try the TJ's brand, wonder if Aldie's carries them too.

I get Mama Rosa's (or is it Rosarita's?) at Walmart. They're perfectly adequate.

Admittedly, I usually just get frozen too, mostly for party appetizers in grape jelly and chili sauce.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I forgot to mention that you are usually in some stage of intoxication when you eat MOINK balls, so the quality of the meatballs is not that important.
This is true. I've always done these with frozen meat balls and they're always a hit.
In fact I'll be smoking a few batches of Moink Balls in a couple of weekends during an outdoor birthday party.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #19
Head Chef

I to only cook for two now, I hate store brought meatballs. I think they are like rubber bouncy balls. I just make my own meatballs, I make an Italian style one for speg and meatballs, meat ball subs and then I make a sorta plain ones for other dishes like meatball stroganoff Swedish meatballs or a soup. After I make them and roll them into balls I freeze some uncooked and some I cook so I am ready for whatever recipe I am going to make. Well worth an afternoon of cooking. I put them on cookie sheets covered with plastic wrap till they are frozen then I put them into bags labeled with cooked or uncooked light seasoning or Italian seasoning. I like using Ice cream scoops for forming them. I think I have every size. Even a mini one to make ahead meatballs for Italian wedding soup. If you can help it don't buy those frozen things make your own and you know what's in them and yours you do.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #20
Master Chef

I bought some frozen meat balls once and reheated them for supper. They tasted horrible. I threw them out back for the dog. They sat in the grass for two days. The dog wouldn't eat them. I eventually had to go and pick them all up and throw them in the garbage.
When you do have time, make a few dozen...you will be happy you did..

Tags
frozen, meat, meatballs