Frozen Meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Has anyone found a decent brand of these at the grocery?

I know this is a cooking forum, so it's a bit embarasing to admit, that now that we only cook for two...

I've been using some pretty good bottled sauce for our After Work spagehiti suppers..

But the frozen Meatballs are just sad...

The grocery is very Large Chain, or else High End.

They did open a Trader Joe's here, but I have not been there yet.

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Got a great brand of frozen meatballs! We call them Mama Clark's!:angel:

This isn't for Italian meatballs, but Ikea makes good regular meatballs. I checked before I even mention this and it says there is an ikea in Round Rock which is pretty close to Austin?. They serve a meatball lunch at a reasonable price, so you could test drive some there and see if you like.

No company goes to the trouble of making meatballs with a beef, pork and veal mixture so no, there is no deccent brand of meatballs out there. Plus, all the packaged meatballs are tiny; either 1/4-inch or 1/2-inch in diameter, which is fine for cocktail horse doovers, but not for a spaghetti and meatballs dinner.

My mother, who was Sicilian, used to make her meatballs about the size of a pool ball, and I have kept up the tradition. From 1 pound of meatball mix, plus the milk, fresh bread crumbs and egg, I make 5 or 6 meatballs.

I cook for one, and my advice is, make your own sauce, make your own meatballs, and buy some Glad containers to freeze what you don't eat for next time.

Last edited:
I have almost always cooked for two, except when we have guests or when we hosted exchange students. I don't use veal in my meatballs 1 lb. ground beef and 1/2 lb. ground pork), but otherwise, I agree with SLoB - make your own and freeze the extras. It's well worth it. Mine are about an inch and a half in diameter - I think golf-ball size is fine ;) And I roast them on a sheet tray in the oven rather than sauteeing them in a pan. It's much easier and makes much less mess. 400°F for 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:
I cook for only two now as well, and I have not found commercial frozen meatball, of any kind, turkey, beef, what have you, that we like.
I made up my mind a long time ago that I'd make a batch of meatballs
(1lb ground Chuck, 1lb ground Veal and 1lb sweet Italian Sausage minus the casings, bread crumbs, milk, egg, grated parm, minced garlic, parsley, s&p, oregano, basil)
This makes quite a bit, so I make about a third of it into meatloaf, wrapped in bacon and then the remainder I portion out with a disher.
004.JPG
I place them onto a sheet pan, making sure that none of them touch and place this in my freezer overnight.
frozen meatballs in zip bag.jpg
The next morning, I can place the individually frozen meatballs into a zip top freezer bag.
When ever we're ready for pasta and meatball night (or meatballs any other way) I simply sit them out on a tin foil lined tray for maybe a half hour to defrost a bit; in the mean time I heat the oven to 350⁰ and baked them off for maybe 15-20 minutes, just until they're done (I temp them with my instant read to 165⁰).
I have a small saucepan on the stove with the appropriate amount of our favorite jarred sauce (I've found that I can buy jarred sauce for less than I spend to make my own ;)), and in go the meatballs for just a few minutes for "marry" with the sauce.
rigs and meatballs.jpg
DINNER!

Last edited:
Eric, get yourself over to that new Trader Joes of yours. I bought their frozen Italian meatballs for the first time a while back and I was flat impressed!!
You're gonna love that place! I've been shopping there for decades.

Last edited:
I only use frozen Italian meatballs to make MOINK balls. You wrap the balls with bacon and cook them on a smoker. The bacon and smoke take over the flavor of the meatballs, so what you start with doesn't matter much.

I always use the same frozen meatballs, but can't for the life of me remember the brand name. I just recognize the bag.

BTW, if you live in the REAL Austin, going to Round Rock is a real buzzkill. Just not weird enough.

CD

I have to agree with most everybody else, make your own. We only cook for 2 as well and Craig makes Italian meatballs for several meals, as well as meatballs for banh mi. We freeze them in a single layer, bag and take out what we need for a meal. You know what goes in them if you make your own, otherwise ?

I only use frozen Italian meatballs to make MOINK balls. You wrap the balls with bacon and cook them on a smoker. The bacon and smoke take over the flavor of the meatballs, so what you start with doesn't matter much.

I always use the same frozen meatballs, but can't for the life of me remember the brand name. I just recognize the bag.

BTW, if you live in the REAL Austin, going to Round Rock is a real buzzkill. Just not weird enough.

CD

I forgot to mention that you are usually in some stage of intoxication when you eat MOINK balls, so the quality of the meatballs is not that important. :rolleyes:

You really can make your own and freeze them pretty easily. That way you can also mix beef and pork for a better tasting meatball.

CD

I have always made my own. The only difference is I do bake them before freezing them.

There is a company that always has a coupon for their Italian meatballs. I bought them once. Even Teddy the dog wouldn't eat them. Get yourself a dasher (ice cream scoop) and plop them on a foil covered sheet pan. Roll each one into a ball. Place in the oven, cook about five-ten minutes, Turn them over with your tongs, finish them for about another five minutes. If they need additional cooking, they can be finished off in the sauce.

Regarding the dasher. I have three sizes. Real small. Perfect for appetizers. A size 20. Perfect for Chocolate Chip Cookies. And a larger one. Great for huge cookies for the small grandchildren. Big enough to make a face with M&M's. Or frost with their name after baking. I use the size 20 for meatballs that are going into the freezer.

Has anyone found a decent brand of these at the grocery?

I know this is a cooking forum, so it's a bit embarasing to admit, that now that we only cook for two...

I've been using some pretty good bottled sauce for our After Work spagehiti suppers..

But the frozen Meatballs are just sad...

The grocery is very Large Chain, or else High End.

They did open a Trader Joe's here, but I have not been there yet.

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.
Don't mess about with supermarkets. Find a good independent butcher who makes his own and has a quick turn over.

Alternatively (and I'm with Addie here) if you can buy very fresh minced (ground) meat (again - the good independent butcher), make your own and freeze in 2 person packages. That way you can use whatever meat (pork, beef, lamb or even venison) you like and the seasoning that you prefer. Use an ice cream scoop of your required size to portion out or enlist the help of the grandchildren (supervise the hand-washing before and afterwards!) who'll love getting messy while rolling the balls.

Last edited:
Store bought frozen meatballs are pretty gross if you ask me.

Meatballs are one of the easiest things in the world to make yourself. Particularly if you bake them on a sheet pan, rather than fry them.

Make your own and freeze them.

I don't think I've ever bought prepared frozen meatballs. My older daughter and the boys like the ones from TJ's.

Another one here who makes them and portions them out for the freezer. In fact I just checked and I'm out, need to replenish the supply. They're so handy to have on hand.

In defense of Eric, he obviously doesn't want to make meatballs, he wants to buy them.
Asking for recommendations was his purpose, rather than make him feel he has to make them. As I mentioned before, I like Trader Joe's brand, but some may not.

I'd like to try the TJ's brand, wonder if Aldie's carries them too.

I get Mama Rosa's (or is it Rosarita's?) at Walmart. They're perfectly adequate.

Admittedly, I usually just get frozen too, mostly for party appetizers in grape jelly and chili sauce.

I forgot to mention that you are usually in some stage of intoxication when you eat MOINK balls, so the quality of the meatballs is not that important. :rolleyes:

This is true. I've always done these with frozen meat balls and they're always a hit.
In fact I'll be smoking a few batches of Moink Balls in a couple of weekends during an outdoor birthday party.

I to only cook for two now, I hate store brought meatballs. I think they are like rubber bouncy balls. I just make my own meatballs, I make an Italian style one for speg and meatballs, meat ball subs and then I make a sorta plain ones for other dishes like meatball stroganoff Swedish meatballs or a soup. After I make them and roll them into balls I freeze some uncooked and some I cook so I am ready for whatever recipe I am going to make. Well worth an afternoon of cooking. I put them on cookie sheets covered with plastic wrap till they are frozen then I put them into bags labeled with cooked or uncooked light seasoning or Italian seasoning. I like using Ice cream scoops for forming them. I think I have every size. Even a mini one to make ahead meatballs for Italian wedding soup. If you can help it don't buy those frozen things make your own and you know what's in them and yours you do.

I bought some frozen meat balls once and reheated them for supper. They tasted horrible. I threw them out back for the dog. They sat in the grass for two days. The dog wouldn't eat them. I eventually had to go and pick them all up and throw them in the garbage.
When you do have time, make a few dozen...you will be happy you did..

Back
Top Bottom