"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Frozen Meatballs

Has anyone found a decent brand of these at the grocery?

I know this is a cooking forum, so it's a bit embarasing to admit, that now that we only cook for two...

I've been using some pretty good bottled sauce for our After Work spagehiti suppers..

But the frozen Meatballs are just sad...

The grocery is very Large Chain, or else High End.

They did open a Trader Joe's here, but I have not been there yet.

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
Master Chef

Got a great brand of frozen meatballs! We call them Mama Clark's!

Old 03-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Executive Chef

This isn't for Italian meatballs, but Ikea makes good regular meatballs. I checked before I even mention this and it says there is an ikea in Round Rock which is pretty close to Austin?. They serve a meatball lunch at a reasonable price, so you could test drive some there and see if you like.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Master Chef

No company goes to the trouble of making meatballs with a beef, pork and veal mixture so no, there is no deccent brand of meatballs out there. Plus, all the packaged meatballs are tiny; either 1/4-inch or 1/2-inch in diameter, which is fine for cocktail horse doovers, but not for a spaghetti and meatballs dinner.

My mother, who was Sicilian, used to make her meatballs about the size of a pool ball, and I have kept up the tradition. From 1 pound of meatball mix, plus the milk, fresh bread crumbs and egg, I make 5 or 6 meatballs.

I cook for one, and my advice is, make your own sauce, make your own meatballs, and buy some Glad containers to freeze what you don't eat for next time.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
Head Chef

I made some appetizer meatballs a while back. There are a couple of opinions of Trader Joe's meatballs in the responses.

Meatball Appetizers
Old 03-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I have almost always cooked for two, except when we have guests or when we hosted exchange students. I don't use veal in my meatballs 1 lb. ground beef and 1/2 lb. ground pork), but otherwise, I agree with SLoB - make your own and freeze the extras. It's well worth it. Mine are about an inch and a half in diameter - I think golf-ball size is fine And I roast them on a sheet tray in the oven rather than sauteeing them in a pan. It's much easier and makes much less mess. 400F for 15-20 minutes.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Lightbulb Frozen Meatballs

I cook for only two now as well, and I have not found commercial frozen meatball, of any kind, turkey, beef, what have you, that we like.
I made up my mind a long time ago that I'd make a batch of meatballs
(1lb ground Chuck, 1lb ground Veal and 1lb sweet Italian Sausage minus the casings, bread crumbs, milk, egg, grated parm, minced garlic, parsley, s&p, oregano, basil)
This makes quite a bit, so I make about a third of it into meatloaf, wrapped in bacon and then the remainder I portion out with a disher.
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	26378
I place them onto a sheet pan, making sure that none of them touch and place this in my freezer overnight.

Name:	frozen meatballs in zip bag.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	26377
The next morning, I can place the individually frozen meatballs into a zip top freezer bag.
When ever we're ready for pasta and meatball night (or meatballs any other way) I simply sit them out on a tin foil lined tray for maybe a half hour to defrost a bit; in the mean time I heat the oven to 350⁰ and baked them off for maybe 15-20 minutes, just until they're done (I temp them with my instant read to 165⁰).
I have a small saucepan on the stove with the appropriate amount of our favorite jarred sauce (I've found that I can buy jarred sauce for less than I spend to make my own ), and in go the meatballs for just a few minutes for "marry" with the sauce.

Name:	rigs and meatballs.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	26379
DINNER!
Old 03-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Eric, get yourself over to that new Trader Joes of yours. I bought their frozen Italian meatballs for the first time a while back and I was flat impressed!!
You're gonna love that place! I've been shopping there for decades.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #9
Head Chef

I only use frozen Italian meatballs to make MOINK balls. You wrap the balls with bacon and cook them on a smoker. The bacon and smoke take over the flavor of the meatballs, so what you start with doesn't matter much.

I always use the same frozen meatballs, but can't for the life of me remember the brand name. I just recognize the bag.

BTW, if you live in the REAL Austin, going to Round Rock is a real buzzkill. Just not weird enough.

CD
Old 03-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I have to agree with most everybody else, make your own. We only cook for 2 as well and Craig makes Italian meatballs for several meals, as well as meatballs for banh mi. We freeze them in a single layer, bag and take out what we need for a meal. You know what goes in them if you make your own, otherwise ?

Tags
frozen, meat, meatballs