"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 12-27-2005, 11:45 AM   #11
Executive Chef

sounds delicious! btw, these "cubes" are a mixture of what looks likes little chops and short ribs. these little bones add a lot of flavor to the cooking, and like the bones on some Chinese duck recipes, (or some bbq I've had) are easy to "suck the meat off of"

anyway, don't be afraid of this beastie if it is presented!

Old 12-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
goat is much more similar to lamb, and has some fat on it (domestic goat) .
Thanks for the info, Robo.

BT, I saved your recipe for Goat Stew...I think that would be great with my venison, too. The bacon will add a lot of flavor. What would you think about adding Marsala instead of white wine?

Old 12-28-2005, 08:56 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

constance, from what i've learned, that is a pretty basic style from provence, which allows for lots of substitutions. if you like marsala, go for it and let us know the results. in fact, depending on the gaminess of the vennison, or lack thereof actually, it might even work better.
the first time i made this, with lamb neck and shoulders, i used a merlot. it was good, but i found white wine works better with strongly flavored lamb. i used a nice italian pinot grigio delle venezie, and the citrus was oranges, as the original recipe suggests (from "les halles") and it came out great.
also, don't go nuts with the herbs de provence. a few fresh herbs tied into a bundle, like a few sprigs of thyme or rosemary, a few bay leaves, and a small bunch of parsley is all you need, and better than the 8 or 10 herb combos that often make up dried or powdered herbs de provence blend.
they're ok, but fresh is better, imo.

btw, robo, the stew comes out best if you use cuts of meat like shoulder chops and neck chunks, including the bones. the marrow and other gelatin that comes out of the bones makes the stew thick, and hearty. and sucking on the neck cartelidge soothes the savage breast.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Wink goat meat

We cook our goat meat on top of the stove with olive oil,garlic,onions-what ever else we want to put with it. We handle it the same as lean beef roast. The children at my school just really don't want to eat the goats, but the adults like it.

Tags
None