"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 12-29-2004, 06:30 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Goat cubes

What are you supposed to do with the little cubes of goat meat that my local supermarket sells?
I have been trying to sear them in the all purpose cast iron pan, but some how I dont think that is their calling. To much fat bone and chewy sinewy stuff.
Are you supposed to use them for stew?

Old 12-29-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
Executive Chef

My West Indian friends cook curried goat a lot.... long, slow cooking required!

Old 12-31-2004, 05:39 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
In Fiji they call it buckery.....because it's very rubbery. There are a myriad of jokes about cooking goat, like cook your goat with a tin of beans, when the tin is soft the goat is ready.

Seriously though, in a curry as Ishbel has suggested, it's lovely.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:19 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'd bbq it with lots of lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper.
I love lamb and goat. Yummmy!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:54 AM   #5
Executive Chef

An excellent way to fix goat cubes is a recipe called Korean Stlye Chevon.
1 lb. chevon steak, cut into one inch pieces
4 T. sugar
2 T. oil
6 T. soy sauce
1 garlic clove
dash black pepper
1 green onion chopped
4 T. sesame seeds
1 T. flour
Mix the chevon with sugar and oil. Combine the rest of the indredients, mix with meat. Marinate up to three days in the refrigerator, stirring once in a while so meat soaks up the sauce. Broil, grill or pan fry. Can be cooked on a skewer. Serve over rice.

The thing I have found about goat meat is how lean it is. Braise in olive oil and/or butter. It is excellent in stew, just flour in seasoned flour, brown, and proceed with stew recipe.
Even when making meat loaf, I add oil, and lots of onion and garlic.
Cheers, Beth
Old 04-25-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
Head Chef

When it comes to red meat, Indians use goat and lamb over the other kinds so a lot of Indian or Indian inspired curries can be made with goat meat.

You can use the boneless cubes and grind them in a food processor and make a ground goat curry that is made with a chockful of spices (not necessarily hot) for that great flavor.

The recipe is like any other curry recipe where onions are sauteed until golden brown. A bunch of fresh spices (cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom, corrainder seeds, cumin seeds) are powdered and sauteed with the onions and some freshly minced garlic and ginger paste. Next comes the turmeric, jalapeno or any other green chillies or red chilli powder. A generous amount of freshly chopped tomatoes (3-4) or can of tomato sauce. Add the ground meat and salt and let it all cook down until all the water evaporates and the meat is browned. I sometimes add a nice helping of peas to this and top it with freshly chopped cilantro and serve it with naan.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:05 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Jamaican curried goat stew is really good. Check out New Joy of Cooking for recipe.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:45 PM   #8
Master Chef

I have never cooked goat, but I would imagine it would be a lot like venison...very lean. The younger ones are naturally going to be much more tender. Thing being, we butcher our own venison, and I peel off all that silverskin.
Sprinkling the meat with a little lemon juice first is a fine idea, pdswife...I do that with lots of meats.
Here's a way to cook it that is not a gourmet recipe, but it will be delicous, and very tender. Put it in a crockpot with a can of cream of mushroom (or other cream of soup) and a packet of onion soup mix. Cook on low for however long it takes...probably 4-6 hours. I often add baby carrots and canned potatoes during the last hour.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:25 PM   #9
Executive Chef

goat is much more similar to lamb, and has some fat on it (domestic goat) .
Old 12-27-2005, 10:24 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

how about a french style goat stew?

in a large pot over medium high heat, render bacon, set aside bacon, flour and brown goat cubes, set meat aside. deglaze with white wine, set liquid aside with meat. add evoo, toast garlic, add a mirepoix to sweat. when softened, add a bundle of fresh herbs de provence, return meat, bacon and liquid to the pot. add more wine or water to top everything off. add a tbsp of citrus zest, and a little of the citrus juice. reduce heat to low and cover pot to simmer.
after an hour or so, add cubed potatoes and baby carrots. simmer until the meat is falling apart, and the potatoes are tender.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None