"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 06-02-2005, 05:56 PM   #11
Executive Chef

We have hundreds and hundreds on the ranch I live at in New Mexico its about all we eat.
Check out thebuffaloshop.com I believe they are out of Wyoming or Montana.
They are way way over priced but they have recipes and other info on cooking bison.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:14 PM   #12
Senior Cook

My nearest grocery store does not sell buffalo meat, nor ostrich meat. Heck, they don't even carry the ground meatloaf mixture of one-third sirloin, one-third pork, and one-third veal. Speaking of unusual meats available, has anyone tried goat? To the best of my knowledge, I've never had it, but I did hear that lots of Chinese restaurants/buffets will use goat meat. We're in a rural area and lots of deer hunting goes on, poor Bambi, so folks around here do eat venison quite a bit. We had a contractor working on a project in our home around March and he was telling us that he loves venison and has a butcher who will grind it for him, mix it with pork for moisture, and it's delicious.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:01 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

shuffle on over to http://www.bisoncentral.org/ or www.hillsidefarms.biz (where i buy mine) for all you need to know 'bout the ol' buffalo...
Old 06-03-2005, 09:09 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats
Speaking of unusual meats available, has anyone tried goat? To the best of my knowledge, I've never had it, but I did hear that lots of Chinese restaurants/buffets will use goat meat.
cats, i've had goat in greek and indian dishes. both were heavily spiced. it was like lamb, but had a much stronger flavor. the greek goat was rubbed in lots of garlic, oregano, and lemon and grilled. the indian was in a spicy cream sauce. both were very good, but i still prefer lamb.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:17 AM   #15
Senior Cook

My husband wants to know, since we are on this topic of somewhat unusual meats, has anyone tried commercially raised rabbits and if so, what do they taste like? They don't sell them at our local grocery stores, is it available by anyone here? Also, what does the buffalo meat and/or the ostrich meat taste like from those of you who have tried it? TGIF everyone and have a great weekend!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:27 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Noooooo Cats, you can't eat the Easter Bunny.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:28 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

anyone ever see "roger and me" or "pets or meat" ?
Old 07-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to nytxn Send a message via MSN to nytxn
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
If something doesn't sell out every week in my Brookshires, they don't order it anymore. That is what really sucks in a very small old town.
Do you have an HEB anywhere near you?

They sell it.

I've got two 1 lb packages of ground bison sitting in the freezer waiting to be made into Buffalo Burgers.

Ron
aka: nytxn
nytxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #19
Master Chef

There are herds all over the country, being raised for meat. Most people choose to eat bufallo more on the rare side, because it is so lean that it becomes tough quite easily. I've eaten it from herds in HI, SD, CA, NE .... oh, dear. The ground meat is sometimes mixed with ground pork (just as many do with venison), so check that out before you decide. If it is pure buffalo, then just go a little on the rare side of what your tastes in beef are, if you're just eating it as burgers. IF it is in a sauce or chili recipe, treat like beef.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #20
Master Chef

Huge, and I do mean HUGE generalization: Ostrich and emu have a similar taste to beef, and have the "low fat" toughness problem I mentioned above. Commercially raised rabbit has a chicken-type flavor. All of the bunny is dark meat. I like rabbit a lot, but find Ostrich, Emu and Buffalo to be way expensive for the flavor involved. But I have to try everything! Rabbit I actuallly like enough to go out of my way to buy when I see it.

Tags
None