Guilty pleasures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
I don't know about you folks but in our household we tend to relegate certain foods to certain occasions. One thing we do this to is onion wraps. It's just a thin slice of ham spread with cream cheese and wrapped around a green onion or a pickle and then cut into disks. We usually make these at the holidays but not really at any other time of year. But this year we didn't make them. So, this morning I made a couple of them and ate them all by myself for breakfast. Now there is no real reason not to make these throughout the year. They are cheap and easy to make but somehow they have become holiday food in our house. So I feel guilty making and eating them. Especially since I didn't share them with anyone. (Okay, I don't really feel so guilty but I'm not telling anyone about it either, so don't you tell.)

What's your guilty pleasure?

Last edited:
Still enjoying my 'cache' of gingerbread men from Xmas and think I can make them last another couple of weeks!
Okay, "guilty pleasures"...and hasten to add strictly IMHO...a generation of brain-washing about 'politically-correct' eating, has made damn near anything we eat or consider eating a "guilty pleasure".
Have to confess I don't pay much attention to what I'm supposed to eat or not eat and FWIW, monitor my eating and work out 5 days a week as am vain enough to not want to appear like a balloon with ears!
So, your little snack sounds terrif, and think you should make it all year and not feel guilty about it!

we makes those ham things, too..... luv them.
other than that, redi-whip & usually straight from its cannister. i'm 'spossed 2 be the chef; i should be making them fresh whipped creme w/ a whisk!

One thing that cracked me up is last holiday season a friend wanted something light to munch while she was bouncing off the kitchen walls finishing her groaning board, then while I was carving. Hubby and I saw a tv show and thought, how perfect, how retro (it's an old fashioned meal). So I stuffed celery ribs, half with regular cream cheese sprinkled with herbs, half with pimento cheese spread. They were a huge hit, and were requested for the next holiday meal, and again for this last Christmas. Nothing like the flavors of childhood for holidays, I guess. The hostess who requests them says she has them for breakfast the next morning.

i love little smokies sausage wrapped in puff pastry. i usually save for christmas. well i only got a couple. so i am making just for myself , a whole pack. planning on munching on them for a couple of days. same with brie in puff pastry. it is usually laid out at parties. however i don't want to look like a pig so only have a slice. gonna make one for myself, will probably feel guilty eating these two goodies. that's ok, i have broad shoulders.

we makes those ham things, too..... luv them.
other than that, redi-whip & usually straight from its cannister. i'm 'spossed 2 be the chef; i should be making them fresh whipped creme w/ a whisk!

I can just hear that swell "fwoooop" sound as it goes from the upside down can into a waiting mouth. You're only guilty if someone catches you doing it. :angel:

My guilty pleasures are mashed potatoes and baking pre-marinaded bbq ribs from the supermarket. I try to eat healthy for the most part but one can only worry so much.

Anything deep, dark, and chocolatey, and I don't feel guilty in the least. (well, maybe once in awhile). ;)

Last edited:
One thing that cracked me up is last holiday season a friend wanted something light to munch while she was bouncing off the kitchen walls finishing her groaning board, then while I was carving. Hubby and I saw a tv show and thought, how perfect, how retro (it's an old fashioned meal). So I stuffed celery ribs, half with regular cream cheese sprinkled with herbs, half with pimento cheese spread. They were a huge hit, and were requested for the next holiday meal, and again for this last Christmas. Nothing like the flavors of childhood for holidays, I guess. The hostess who requests them says she has them for breakfast the next morning.

we stuff celery w/ creme cheese, then place olives on that.
lizzie, joesfolk, lol!

we stuff celery w/ creme cheese, then place olives on that.
lizzie, joesfolk, lol!

For us, it is cream cheese, minced pecans, and a bit of Miracle Whip, then stuff the celery. My sister and I used to devour these. Now her children beat us to them. :)

For us, it is cream cheese, minced pecans, and a bit of Miracle Whip, then stuff the celery. My sister and I used to devour these. Now her children beat us to them. :)

Oh man, you reminded me of a favorite that I haven't had in ages...toasted bagel with cream cheese and a bunch of roasted walnuts on top. Talk about a great breakfast!

It's so nice that when you live alone and are retired, the pleasures aren't guilty any more.

I buy ice cream every few months. I'll have to do it again soon as my latest fudge was a mess and I now have crumbly topping that could last a year. Good topping, though, dark chocolate with butterscotch and loads of pecans.

I just made myself a cup of coffee and used a big dollop of sweetened condensed milk instead of my usual creamer and sugar. Mmmmm. I do feel guilty.

"Changemaker" Baileys filled chocolates by Turin. I found a bar-supply store that sells them by the case, and I order a couple each Christmas (a couple as in 2 cases of 70... 140 chocolates). I think I ate 100 on my own over the past month... :blush:

Back
Top Bottom