Hard salami, Genoa or Pepperoni?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speaking of hard salami, our family's favorite is Calabrese. We are spicy food fans, and it has a great zing...It blends well with a creamy brie, or camembert on a piece of crusty bread.

Oh my! Gilding the lily, eh. But it does sound decadently yummy.

I'm one of those adventurous types, and if someone gave me the choice, I'd go with what I hadn't tried before! I tend to think as Genoa as a type of hard salami, so go for it. Great on pizza or in an Italian sub-sandwich (I'm not going to get into what they're called in various parts of the country), or if you're having an appetizer party, cut in cubes or sliced then rolled into a tube and speared with a toothpick.

The best Salami in the world for me is Gavilovic Winter Salami, my wife brought a "stick" home from the Dolac in Zagreb last week.Dont get me wrong Italian is good, Hungarian is better but Gav is the best.

Last edited:
You're lucky to be able to move salami across national borders. Our ability to do so into the USA is limited :(.
Bill mate we have some similar rules over here, when Poland join the EU we had a large influx of very hard working people, there is a fantastic store nearby set up by two wives who's husbands are plumbers, the wives bought a transit van and drive to Poland in 24 hrs to bring back amongst other thing wonderful charcuterie for the deli counter;)

Last edited:
i would go for the pepperoni just so i could shave it into butter sweated onions, then adding that to scrambled eggs and put it all on a hard roll. yummm!

it's one of my favourite egg sandwich combos, snicker. the keys are to slice the pepperoni amd onions super thin so they kinda match the fluffiness of the eggs.

i've found large ring pepperoni slices better for this.

Back
Top Bottom