"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 12-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Hard salami, Genoa or Pepperoni?

Our grocer's deli is running a special right now where if you buy a pound of their higher priced deli meats, you get a FREE pound of hard salami, genoa or pepperoni (your choice). These are not deli meats I typically buy and I don't even know what genoa is LOL. Which one would you pick and what would you do with it? Thanks in advance for all the wonderful ideas ya'll have!

Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Hard salami and Genoa are similar. Either can be added to a sandwich for a little extra flavor. Genoa salami is an all-time favorite of my so there would be no problem choosing. You can also use either in an omelet or as part of an antipasto (rolled as tightly as you can).

Pepperoni to me is primarily an appetizer food and pizza topping. You can also add it to a coldcut sandwich or an omelet.

Any of the three could be chopped and added to a salad.

All in all, it's hard to go wrong here.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
Our grocer's deli is running a special right now where if you buy a pound of their higher priced deli meats, you get a FREE pound of hard salami, genoa or pepperoni (your choice). These are not deli meats I typically buy and I don't even know what genoa is LOL. Which one would you pick and what would you do with it? Thanks in advance for all the wonderful ideas ya'll have!
Oh man! I'm drooling just thinking about it. What a tough choice. All of them are great and I use them as additions to any sandwich, except PBJ's. I also use them as nibbles and snacks. The sandwich pepperoni is cheaper than the pizza pepperoni and often more flavorful, you can cut in quarters and make pizza or calzones.

Sorry, had to go get a mouth wiper...
Old 12-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Buy three pounds and get one of each.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Buy three pounds and get one of each.
LOL, you know, I would but it's a coupon deal, limit 1 per customer . I supposed I could make 3 trips...
Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
LOL, you know, I would but it's a coupon deal, limit 1 per customer . I supposed I could make 3 trips...

Ask for a third of a pound of each.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I would go with the Hard Salami, it is really tasty and keeps a long time, not to mention it looks beautiful on an antipasta platter or in a salad of marinated artichokes, mushrooms, onions, and mozzarella.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

i would pick the pepperoni. the pizza size is really expensive. and the one they have would definitely work on pizza
Old 12-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
Master Chef

Classic sandwich for me - Whole Wheat soft hoagie bun, extra virgin olive oil, black olives, iceberg lettuce, generous helping of Capiacola, generous helping of pepperoni, medium helping of Genoa Salami, sliced onion, sliced green pepper, couple slices aged swiss cheese.

Pepperoni has a more pronounced flavor to me than does either salami, and I'm a guy who loves strong flavors (can you tell from the breath-killer sandwich above?). Salami will be a little more versatile than the pepperoni. But pepperoni is another form of salami and works well in salads, pasta, tomato sauce, sandwiches, on pizza, with scrambled eggs, chopped and added to egg salad sandwich filling, in calzones, and even put together with rice and beans. I also love taking a pinch of slices and popping them into my mouth for a snack, followed by a good slice of cheese. The flavor profile of pepperoni has a slightly also works with the vinager and sugar of three-bean salad. In fact, I love the stuff so much I might even throw it in apple pie! Ha! Gotcha. I'm crazy, but not that crazy. I would throw it in a meat pie though, along with some Italian sausage, onions, and diced potatoes, or in lasagna.

To me, salami is relegated to sandwiches and hors-dueveres, unless it's a good soprasetta.

I'd go with the pepperoni. But of course, that's MHO.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Check out
Fratelli Beretta - Quality is a family Tradition
http://www.fratelliberettausa.com/index.htm

Tags
None