HELP! Lobster Mushrooms & Filet Mignon(pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Cooking filet mignon tonight my normal style, need no help on that.

but i have this interesting lobster mushroom

img_316374_0_d2836cc01cc5a0584e4392a75ec7915d.jpg

img_316374_1_8a6beaf14ff6adbd0d98bacf830d504d.jpg

Okay - couple questions. How far up should i trim off the stem?

What should i clean it with? i have a little small thing with soft bristles called a mushroom brush actually. bout 2 inches tall and roundish.

should i scrub the schroom down lightly with spring water?

Okay - Now for cooking . gonna pan sear the steak in steel skillet then finish in oven, take steak cover in foil.

should i deglaze with white wine and cook lobster mushroom in that pan?

should i shred up the lobster mushroom? Into like 8 large chunks?

What temp should i cook it at?

also, should i throw in a DASH of beef stock with the white wine when i deglaze?

or should i just skip all that and cook lobster mushroom in butter?

How long do i sautee it and at what temp in a medium skillet?

Cheers

should i scrub the schroom down lightly with spring water? Yes, just rub it with your hands or a paper towel under running water to remove the dirt and crud stuck to it.

should i deglaze with white wine and cook lobster mushroom in that pan? That would work; add a little butter if necessary.

should i shred up the lobster mushroom? Into like 8 large chunks? I'd slice it; if it's big, say like a large Portobello, make the slices about 1/2 inch think.

What temp should i cook it at? High. Cook until the juices are released and evaporate.

also, should i throw in a DASH of beef stock with the white wine when i deglaze? Butter would be better -- the mushroom will release juices, and while the beef stock wouldn't hurt, the simpler the preparation the more evident the mushroom flavor. But, OTOH, you can't really screw it up.

or should i just skip all that and cook lobster mushroom in butter? Might be better -- again, simple is often best. Add salt and pepper, of course. The other stuff might hide the mushroom flavor, and I'd want to see exactly what this strange thing tastes like. OTOH, I'm sure it would be good with all the fixins'. Sherry is better than white wine with mushrooms, IMO, and a little thyme is usually good.

How long do i sautee it and at what temp in a medium skillet? Same -- high heat until the juices are released and evaporate.

Let us know how it come out.

Opps! Missed that one -- sorry!

Cut it ALL off, right down to the cap. You might be able to sort of twist and pull it off rather than cutting it -- that gets all of it. I sometimes use kitchen scissors.

The stem of most larger mushrooms is very fibrous and tough, in my experience, and I usually just toss them. You might try cooking it anyway as it does have a lot of flavor, and you may not mind gnawing on it.

Sorry about all the edits -- it's wine time here on the left coast!

MLB:

Good advice from FryBoy. I'd cook the stem sliced as well. Some large mushrooms' stems are OK. If you don't like it, no big loss.

Fryboy, what type of texure shuld they have they were MUCH different. like meat. but way diff from portabella

so on medium high steel skillet on 8...for 3-4 minutes? are they supposed to be kind of crunchy

Back
Top Bottom