"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 10-08-2004, 10:29 PM   #1
Master Chef

Help me find a name for this creation.

Shortly after marrying my wife 27 years ago, she introduced me to a dish she called Ralph. It was absolutely great. I wasn't much of a cook then, though I had a stron desire to learn. This recipe goes as follows"

1 foil pack of Lipton's Chicken Noodle Soup
1 lb. ground beef, cooked and drained
2 stalks of celery, washed and sliced
1/2 onion, chopped coarsely
1 cup white rice
3 cups water

Combine all ingredients together in a sauce-pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for forty minutes.

I'm not sure why I can get away with this recipe. It tastes amazing. And yet, it's made with a run-of-the-mill soup. It got its name because my Mother-In-Law didn't know what to call it. So she asked the kids at the dinner table. Someone said Ralph, and the name stuck.

Oh, and you have to try this stuff. It's really good. For a change of pace, I often add thyme or sage to it, and some black pepper (at the plate as my wife can't eat spicey hot things at all).

That's the history. Now my problem. Being diabetic, I shy away from processed grains like white rice and the pasta in Lipton's Chicken Soup. And yet, this stuff tasted so good that I wanted something similar using whole grain products. So I used whole-grain fettucine, a can of fat-free chicken broth, browned a pound of lean ground beef, and threw it all in a pot. I also saute'd about 4 oz. of fresh mushrroms in a tbs. of EVOO, with 2 minced cloves of garlic, a half onion, minced, and a half-tbs. salt. This also went into the pot.

I then brought it to a low boil, covered, and cooked for twenty minutes. My wife asked me what I was serving her. She has so little faith . I told her that it has no name. I served it with steamed cauliflower. To make this story short, she and I both loved it. Now it needs a name. You gotta help me name my new creation.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
lipton beef?
beef n' lipton?

fettucine n' beef?

Old 10-09-2004, 03:33 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Being as the other one was called Ralph, think you should name this one Alice or Norton and keep the family tradition going!

Good Luck!
Old 10-09-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Call it Weeds Good Stuff......ot just plain Good Stuff.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
Master Chef

Weed's Goodstuff is a bit presumptuous. I draws too much attention to myself. I don't think my family would go for it. But Norton, now their's a name you don't hear every day. I like it !:D Thanks to all of you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 10-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

how about carne de ralph, beef norton, or kramden style beef?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #7
Master Chef

I love them all. My wife said "How 'bout Loyd?"

I like Loyd. It makes me think of Loyd's of London. Besides, who do know named Loyd? I also love the Norton names suggested. I may just have to flip a coin to decide this one. I have another recpe that I modified, that is identical to Ralph, but with beef instead of chicken flavoring. I'll use Beef Norton for the one and Loyd for my newest recipe.

Thanks guys and gals. You've given me what I needed. :D :D

Old 10-09-2004, 03:51 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Call it Soo Stew!! :roll:
Old 10-09-2004, 04:56 PM   #9
Senior Cook

homemade hamburger helper
Old 10-09-2004, 05:46 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Let me get this straight. Ralph is the name given the dish by a bunch of kids, correct? Imagining what the dish looks like, I don't think Ralph is actually a name, but more a verb. :twisted:

Tags
None