"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 03-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
Head Chef

Help! Searing Steaks in Stainless Steel

Hey guys. gonna head out in a bit to get my stainless steel new skillet, and on the way home stopping by the butcher to get some american Kobe Beef Filets. Now this crap is 40 bucks a pound, and i havent used a steel skillet in a year, last time i did i had disastrous results.

im gonna sear steaks then move skillet to oven to finish them.

these will be 1 1/2 Inch Thick Filets.

Question: Should i sear these on MEDIUM HIGH or on HIGH? If i turn them on HIGH, how long should i let skillet stay on stove heating up?

Question: I normally rub steaks down with oil, salt, pepper before i cook them, and then just throw them in skillet. Would it be better to just rub them with salt and pepper, turn skillet on HIGH, let it get hot, then throw oil in it, and steaks on top of oil? Or should i just rub the steaks with oil and leave skillet dry? Also, i have heard sear on each side for 2 mins..some say for 1 min..some say for 1:30..... For the record this is heavily marbled beef more so than USDA Prime..not sure if that makes a difference but ive never cooked with this kobe beef stuff.

Question, what is a good HIGH HEAT oil i can use to sear these steaks with? I dont want to use olive oil as it burns. Should i try peanut oil? how about almond oil?

Question: I should throw em in a 450 degree oven after searing right? I want them to be pink all the way thru. between medium rare and medium. How long should i leave em in?

If flavor is a concern about which oil i will be serving the steaks without a sauce, but they will be topped with garlic butter.

Ive asked similar questions to this before in the past but im paranoid because A. ive never cooked kobe beef. and B. i havent used a stainless steel skillet in FOREVER, and when i did it was a disaster.

if you could give me step by step how to do these steaks and i just use my intuition to make sure things flow good that would be awesome.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Wish you had a cast iron skillet or a charcoal grill instead. But I would just sear them all on the stovetop--not put in the oven. I think they will get overdone.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Executive Chef

medium high heat at most ... let the pan preheat

for minimal smoking, use peanut oil.

timing depends on temp of meat. do a test with an equally thick burger patty earlier in the day to get some idea of doneness etc.

kobe beef is fatty and very tender, but the fat tends to be monosaturated so it is like olive oil for the body...healthy. hope you have good hood ventilation.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

i would not recommend cooming your Kobe on your stainless just yet since as you mentioned you have not done it in a while and last time didn't work. Kobe is expensive as you know. Why not get some cheaper steaks to experiment with first so you don't ruin the Kobe?

Is a grill an option for you for the Kobe? Personally that is the way I would go. High heat for a short period of time.

If you are still sold on doing it in the stainless then i would oil, salt, and pepper the steaks. Let then sit out for about 30 minutes or so to come to room temp (very important step). i would heat the pan to med high. some people will tell you to get the pan as hot as possible, but I always seem to burn my steaks when I do that. Put your oil in the pan and let that heat up. Put the steaks in the pan and DON"T TOUCH. how long they take per side is something you are going to have to play with, but give it at least a minute. After a minute carefully try to move it. If it sticks to the pan then give it another 30 seconds to a minute. The steaks should release on their own.

As for what type of oil, you want one with a high smoke point and neutral flavor. Canola, Corn, or veggie oil should work fine.

If you are going to finish it in the oven then use a probe thermometer. If you don't have one then get one. Don't take the chance of ruining your Kobe. It is a tool you will get a lot of use out of and is well worth the money.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
Head Chef

GB Okay i will go get a probe thermometer right now. Can you give me some tips on using it? If i jab that thermometer in my meat, won't it just cause all the juices to leak out?
Old 03-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
Head Chef

by the way thanks for the speedy replies..... okay...another question.

Since im using this stainless steel skillet and one of it's advantages is getting a "fond" and you can deglaze it, i'd like to try something.

I want to deglaze the pan with something and then sautee some onions and mushrooms.

Can anyone here just give me a quick little recipe for deglazing my skillet, then adding in some mushrooms and onions? Should i use red wine for that? what seasonings? oil or butter? Order in which to add ingredients, heat to use, etc, as i've never truly deglazed......

Just give me something basic if you will......

Thank you so much.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:05 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
something you are going to have to play with, but give it at least a minute. After a minute carefully try to move it. If it sticks to the pan then give it another 30 seconds to a minute. The steaks should release on their own.
This is very very interesting..is this a sure thing or can it lead to disasters?
Old 03-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #8
Everymom

AHHHHHHHHH! My mouth is watering! If you are going to do the mushrooms and onions in the pan, just a teeny bit of butter in there to help soften them up, then I would pour in some red wine to deglaze after they are done. Drooling...
Old 03-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Head Chef

Were I using Kobe beef would use shallots instead of onions.

And a mixture of shrooms, maybe laced with a bit of balsamic vinegar.

Just an idea.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Can we assume your SS skillet is either tri-ply or has a heavy disk on the bottom? This is essential to even heating and for keeping hot spots that will cause the food to burn.

Tags
None