"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 12-10-2005, 03:20 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Constance, your recipe reminded me of a way a friend of mine used to do hot dogs (and I've done them myself after she told me). She would put the hot dogs cut up in pieces about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long - add a jar of semi hot peppers. Heat them in a crockpot or saucepan. They are good warm or cold, but the longer they stay in the pepper mixture the hotter they get. Quite a surprise.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #12
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
The ONLY times I eat hot dogs is girls "wine and junk food night". Ya know, when all the women get together and nag about men. We had hot dogs one night cause a friend of mine that can't cook worth a hoot brought them over for dinner, and it became tradition.

anyhooo.... I cook them on a grill pan on high heat for a few minutes. I will have to share a few ideas with them from here, especially mugsy's so I can stop the madness and move onto a few of my more preferred foods that are much more nicely paired with wine.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
T'aint nothing like a hot dog on the grill. Slobber 'em up with mustard, ketchup (or is it catsup?), and onions (diced raw).

My normal way if the grill is unavailable is boiling until the "explode" providing more places to put mustard & ketchup!
Old 12-11-2005, 06:10 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Well, PeppA and her family are of the boil persuasion. Personally, I'm a flame-broiled person. I prefer mine with a little sweet relish, or topped with Wolf Brand and some grated cheddar.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:51 PM   #15
Executive Chef

eviserate em quickly cleanly and withoutn any pain to the poor puppy then grill em up on the bumpy grillpan on the stove top...or broil till toasty in the oven. with beans or chili in a toasted roll with mustard n onions...yum
Old 12-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

I most often use the microwave to steam my dogs. DD likes them blackened all over on the grill.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:15 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

if you are topping them with just relish, the ONLY way to eat hot dogs, besides the boiled ones at jankee stadium, is deep fried until the skin tears. they are called rippers, both for what happens to the skin, and to your butt afterwards.
the best rippers in the world can be found here: http://www.hollyeats.com/RuttHut.htm

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:07 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Pan fried, split down the middle, put on a piece of toasted wheat bread, then topped with swiss cheese. Melt that in the toaster oven. Ad Mayo only and the other piece of bread. Mustard works too fo course. But I never mix it up. Too sloppy for me that way.

Just thought I'd throw in one more.

I was just at Penn Station in NYC and I asked for onions. I got this concoction of chopped onions in this tomatoey relish mix. Yuk. But I guess people like it that way.....? Hard to eat when you are standing around waiting for a train.

-jd
www.rwicooking.com
Old 12-12-2005, 04:21 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

john, that onion-tomatoey yuk sauce is sabrett's "onions in sauce".

http://www.pascackpartyrentals.com/hotdogcondiment.html

it's kinda vinegar-y sweet, and i agree, yuk. gimme raw onions, with cheddar and mustard on a dog anyday.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:38 AM   #20
Executive Chef

If you have plenty of time to kill (and toothpicks), here's a retro look at Frankfurter Crown Surprise.

Tags
None