"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 10-02-2005, 12:18 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Today I saw a commercial on TV for a Nathan's hot dog cooker that you put on a burner (I think, since I didn't see the whole commercial). I has a bottom peice to catch drips and the top looked like the metal roller thing that places like convience stores have to cook hot dogs on. Has anyone seen it or have one?

Old 10-02-2005, 03:56 AM   #22
Master Chef

Here's a link to the Nathan's Grill for you Devine. Nothing special - it's just a nonstick two burner reversable grill/griddle.

If you saw one on TV that is like the rolling dog cooker at the 7-11 store, you might be talking about the Hot Dog Express.

I'm with Goodweed on the Beenie Weenies thing - you've got to use Van Camp's Pork & Beans. Mom would sometimes chop up a slice or two of bacon and fry it before she added the sliced dogs to "saute" before she added the beans. Sometime she added grated onion, too. Sometimes she would add a little maple syrup and a dollop of mustard for a different flavor. But the beans were ALWAYS Van Camp.

The most memorable hot dog I ever had was when I was 4-yo at the State Fair of Texas, October 1952. It was in the "Hall of Tomorrow" exhibit ... cooked in a Radar Range that was about 3x3 ft square and about 6ft tall. It was a bare dog on a naked bun. To this day - a "nuked" dog is still comfort food to me.

I've had dogs boiled, roasted, grilled, nuked - split down the middle and stuffed with cheddar and wrapped with bacon and baked - and the selection of condiments is endless. I guess the only dogs I ever had that I didn't enjoy for the experience for the way they were had to be the chicken/turkey/soy bean/tofu "things".

Old 10-02-2005, 05:33 AM   #23
Senior Cook

i like my hotdogs with bacon, bbq sauce, chedder cheese and onion yummm.

i know its hard to believe but i don't like tomato sauce or american mustard!
Old 10-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #24
Sous Chef

Thanks for the links Michael, neither one is what I saw. It was used on the stovetop but had the rollers. Maybe it wasn't called Nathan's grill. I guess I need to pay more attention to the tube. LOL
Old 10-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I like mine with mustard,onions and dill relish if its a real sausage ( polish and so on) sourkraut,mustard and swiss cheese.

Question is! Who makes makes the best store bought hotdogs I used to love them but find they dont taste as good as I remember so Im in a dilemma.The last ones I tried was Qscar Meyer Premiums they were good but I dont know if its my mood or the brand that makes a hotdog taste good to me.Ive tried Nathans,Kosher brands and so on and can not make up my mind.I really believe you need a good dog to make a good hot dog.
What is your favorite?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Here's all the ways I like mine:

Spicy brown mustard (sometimes called Brat Mustard) with sauerkraut - and sometimes relish too. The kraut has to be cold though.

Hot dog chili, mustard, mayo-based chopped coleslaw, and chopped raw onions

Wrap a piece of bacon around the hotdog and grill - serve your favorite way.

Wrapped in a crescent roll (the kind that comes in the tube you pop open) and wrap one triangle around 1 hotdog starting at the widest end ending with the point. Bake in oven on a stone according to crescent roll directions. If you don't have a stone just a cookie sheet is ok but make sure it is a light-colored sheet.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
I really believe you need a good dog to make a good hot dog. What is your favorite?
I agree 100%. If it's not a good dog, fuhgetaboutit.

Nathan's & Oscar Meyer are pretty good. But, for some reason, the hot dogs that always tasted the best were from Nathan's in Coney Island New York. And, you had to have the big fat wedge fries smothered in ketchup. There was a Nathan's in California, but imo - It just didn't cut the mustard. If you find a little rolling hot dog stand that says Sabrettes (sp?), those are very good.

MAYO - EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKK!
KETCHUP - ??? - Brooklyn, New York might be offended.

Pass me that yellow neon mustard, onions (cheese, sauerkraut, & relish on occasion).

P.S. I don't like a big crunch when I bite into the dog.

Almost forgot. If you're in California, Pink's are very good.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:39 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
moved to Beef, Pork, and Lamb

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:41 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
moved to Beef, Pork, and Lamb
LOL, I couldn't help but chuckle here kitchenelf, I think that your statement pretty much fits the bill when it comes to determining the contents of some types of hot dog weiners (and other processed meats)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:05 AM   #30
Executive Chef

IC, you read my mind. I was thinking, read the ingredients on the label. It might fall under miscellaneous.

Tags
None