"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Old 09-15-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Hot dogs

Hi everyone!!!

As some of you know I am an Italian living in Belgium. I have met the boy of my life and we are getting married next summer. Eventhough I am Italian, I was born and grew in Colombia. I went to an American school and my parents took us on holiday to the United States at least once a year. It turns out I am half of everything now... and I sometimes feel a little American too. My parents now live in Florida, so each time I go "home", I end up in Florida, not complaining, though.

So, my half american life reflects many times in the way I cook and the way I like to eat stuff. One day I suggested to my boyfriend we do hot dogs just as in America... Here they like to put fat german sausages into bagettes and call that a hot dog. Its good but it just does not feel like a real America hot dog.

So anyways, we bought normal wieners and normal hot dog bread and started out with my favorite: ketchup and mustard. Later on we added mayo and fried onions. Now, we organize a hotdog dinner at least once a month and invite friends.... and it seems to have become a tradition. Adrien's friends love to come to my home and eat hot dogs in front of a soccer game. We put out the sauces (ketchup, mustard, mayo, bbq), fried onions, cheese, and crushed chips (the frito lay kind).

When Adrien discovered I had joined DC, he told me (perhaps he was joking) to post a thread asking people how they eat their hotdogs.... and so here goes my question:

When you guys make it a hot dog nigh, waht do you put in your hot dogs?

Thanks for the advice!

Paolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You'll get a lot of different answers to this question!

I like hot dogs with mustard and sauerkraut. Sometimes with mustard and sweet pickle relish.

Chili dogs are popular as are corn dogs. Corn dogs are hot dogs on a stick, dipped in a corn batter and deep fried.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
Master Chef
Lots of Ketchup and Onions
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Hey Paolita sei davvero italiana!!? non lo sapevo ke ficoooo!!

Well it is also nice that you are such a cosmopolitan!! I have also seen more of the world than average people, but there are still so many places I would love to be acquainted with...

Well I do like my dogs with sauerkraut(cooked with a little butter and onion) and german mustard. And personally I also prefer german style sausages to the wiener!!
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:00 PM   #5
Executive Chef
We usually put everything out and each eats them differently. Cole slaw, sauerkraut, chili, mustard, catsup, onions, cheese and I'm probably forgetting something, but they are all good. We don't have a hot dog nite - we save that for a cookout.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Mine have to be cooked over a camp fire
and then smothered in Ketchup, onions and pickles (either sweet or dill)

Corn dogs are great too. Just Ketchup on those though.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer
I like mine with a spicy brown deli mustard like Gouldins, not the neon yellow stuff, sauerkraut, and relish. Maybe sometimes some diced onions as well. I also like chili dogs.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Deli mustard and onions - and every once in a while, chili!

An old childhood dish was to chop up the hot dogs, mix with a can of baked beans, top with ketchup and brown sugar, and bake.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Never with Catsup......almost always with hot dog chili(no beans)..mustard...lots of onions and a little bit of celery salt.
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:38 PM   #10
DC Grandma
Chili ( no beans) onions and grated cheese or just mustard, pickle rerlish and onions

May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote