Hot Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow guys, I never expected so much response. Thank you so much. And no, not a bogo. We were "gifted" a bunch of foot long hot dogs. Can't even find buns for them in the middle of winter. Of course I could make my own but it always seems like to much trouble to go to for something that is basically a convenience food. Thanks again.

tHROW THEM IN A QUICK SOUP. oops, sorry. Onion, potato, carrot, hot dogs, some pasta or rice. Done.

Hand the kids some sticks or skewers and cook them over the stove burners. Make up some potato salad. Makeshift campfire and picnic, makes anything taste good.

Back in the dark ages when I was a child, :mellow:, mom would slice them up and cook them in saurkraut. Still love that one, but no one else does so I don't make it.

She would also fry them in a pan and serve them as our meat for the meal.

I like mine in a Hotdog sandwich.

2 grillled or cooked sliced lengthwise dogs
2 slices multi-grain bread
Mayo,mustard,ketchup
lettuce,pickle,red onion.

You can add cheese or other deli meats to go with too.

Swedish hotdog dish from my Danish cooking site, Opskrifter/Madopskrifter Alletiders Kogebog

For 4 persons

• 400 grams onions, peeled weight (400 grams = ~ .9 pounds)
  • 30 grams margarine (~ 2 tablespoons)
  • 500 grams hotdogs (500 grams = ~ 1.1 pounds)
  • 3 tsps edelsuss (sweet) paprika
  • 1000 grams cold, cooked potatoes (1000 grams = 1 kilo = ~ 2.2 lbs)
  • 70 grams tomato paste (~ 2 tablespoons)
  • 2 dl whole milk (2 decilitres = ~ .8 cups)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 5 dl whipping cream (~2.1 cups)
  • garnish: 100 grams chives (~3.5 ounces)

• peel and chop onions, cut the hotdogs into rounds
  • brown the fat, saute the onions, add the hotdogs and paprika, lower the heat.
  • add the potatoes in slices the tomato paste, the milk, and the salt and pepper
  • Cook for 5 minutes
  • Add the cream and cook for another 5 minutes
  • Sprinkle chopped chives over the dish and serve

There is a "tip" at the end of the recipe:

It's up to you how much cream you add. You can certainly substitute milk for the cream, but it won't have the strong flavour you would otherwise get.

4_880.jpg

That looks a lot like something that my grandmother made a few times, i remember it having similar ingredients, I've never seen anything like it anywhere else. She wasn't Swedish, but French Canadian living in Maine.

When I was a kid my Mom would often put hot dogs in pancakes....if I got to help they would usually end up looking like smiley faces! :rolleyes:

Another "kid trick" for fun with hot dogs: slice them lengthwise in half and then each half into thirds. Pile the strips up on hamburger buns as a "worm sandwich".

The presentation is designed for Halloween parties and 8 y.o. boy birthdays, but even for adults it has virtues. You get a lot more chili, or sauerkraut and Muenster to stay with the sandwich.

when kids were growing up, used to chop cooked potatoes,skin on, then thinly slice dogs. put both in skillet with melted butter and cook em up til brown . if i wanted onions of course they had to go in first til done, then add the rest. a salad and that was dinner. cheap and tasty .

Just wondering...
I have a bit of a prejudice about hot dogs. Maybe it is because they are cheap and so very processed. But I always feel like I am doing my family a disservice when I serve them. I don't feel that way so much when I serve smoked sausage or some other such thing. And here in Michigan hotdogs have to meet very high standards to be sold here. So my predjudice really doesn't make all that much sense but there it is. Do you feel this way too? I'm hoping all of these great ideas wi8ll help me to change that feeling.

Another "kid trick" for fun with hot dogs: slice them lengthwise in half and then each half into thirds. Pile the strips up on hamburger buns as a "worm sandwich".

The presentation is designed for Halloween parties and 8 y.o. boy birthdays, but even for adults it has virtues. You get a lot more chili, or sauerkraut and Muenster to stay with the sandwich.

Don't they curl up when you do that? Great idea for kids. Seems I remember one where you slice them in several pieces only part way up the dog and boil them and they come out looking like octopuses (octopi?). Saw that as a Halloween food somewhere, too.

Back in the dark ages when I was a child, :mellow:, mom would slice them up and cook them in saurkraut. Still love that one, but no one else does so I don't make it.

She would also fry them in a pan and serve them as our meat for the meal.

My mother went one further. She would make a big batch of mashed potatoes, put hot saurkraut on top of the mashed potatoes, and then put sliced hotdogs on top of that. We used to have that a lot when I was still a kid some 40 years ago. Now I've completely lost my taste for saurkraut so that's off the menu for us I'm afraid. It was rather tasty tho' when we were growing up.

After posting here I kept thinking about this all day. I came home after work and made this soup. Chopped and Sautéed onion and bell pepper, mostly because I do not like either one of them. But what kind of soup is it without onion for example. I cooked them long enough so they became very soft. In the mean time I boiled water and 2 potatoes, added shredded carrots and frozen cauliflower. When water started to boil again I added onion/pepper mixture, couple of spoons of canned green pears, a teas spoon of chicken soup powder, fresh crushed garlic, some seasoning. Then I cut up two (or was it three hot dogs?) throw that in the soup and a handful of some small, short, skinny noodles, have no idea what they called in English. Boiled for another 5 minutes checked for salt, added some cayenne pepper. Served it with bread croutons (is there any other kind of croutons?). Yum. Hot dogs gave the soup really good flavor. I loved it.

Different hot dog ideas, but oh so good.

1. Wrap hot dogs in bacon, secure with toothpicks, and broil until the bacon is crisp.

2. Wrap in fresh bread dough with chili and cheese. Pinch seam and ends to seal. Let rise and bake until golden brown.

3. Use in place of ground beef in pasties or in meat pies.

4. Use to top pizza.

5. Place in a sub bun with baked beans and fried onions.

6. Cook in tomato based barbecue sauce and serve over rice

7. Cut lengthwise from the center to one end, turn 90' and repeat to make four "legs". Bake in the oven. The legs will curl outward, making a four legged monster.

8. Grind and mix with Miracle Whip, sweet relish, prepared mustard, and chopped onion to make a sandwich spread.

9. Eat cold, using your teeth to peel the "skin" from one end to the other, and then munch down the whole thing, all while watching TV (Yeh, i did it as a young'en).

10. Take a plastic straw and run it through the hot dog, lenthwise, ro remove a plug of meat. Refill the straw with something else, like melted cheese, or sauce, or ketchup (be creative) and use it to fill the channel. Pan fry in a dry pan, rolling to cook evenly, and serve hot.

11. Slice and place into a bag with garlic, and onion powders,, a touch of cayenne pepper, maybe a bit of brown sugar, and shake to coat. Place the coated hot dogs slices into a garden salad with ripe tomato and chunks of avocado, don't forget the cuke.

12. Add to three bean salad.

A couple ideas for you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Just wondering...
I have a bit of a prejudice about hot dogs. Maybe it is because they are cheap and so very processed. But I always feel like I am doing my family a disservice when I serve them. I don't feel that way so much when I serve smoked sausage or some other such thing. And here in Michigan hotdogs have to meet very high standards to be sold here. So my predjudice really doesn't make all that much sense but there it is. Do you feel this way too? I'm hoping all of these great ideas wi8ll help me to change that feeling.

I kinda feel this way too. I usually only serve them in the summer off the grill. They are just very unhealthy too much salt etc... I do like hot dogs but it has to be a "sometimes" food. I'm not a big fan of heavily processed food.

We have an abundance of hot dogs. I can of course grill them but need some more ideas. I do Pigs in a Blanket sometimes (Not the cabbage variety) and baked beans and hot dogs and for the kid I'll occasionally do Hot dogs with mac and cheese. But I mean really that's about it. Any ideas out there?

I used to make a dish called Hot Dog Casserole. As a military family we didn't have much money and hot dogs were cheap. We ate this a lot.

1 lbs hot dogs, sliced
2 Tbs butter/margarine
1 onion chopped
1 small can stems/pieces mushrooms
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can of half milk, half water
1/4 cup ketchup (in later years I used stewed tomatos - equally good)
1/2 bag egg noodles, boiled

Brown hot dog pieces in butter, adding onions and mushrooms toward the end and brown slightly.
Add milk/water mixture to mushroom soup and mix, add to hot dogs, mushrooms and onions.
Add ketchup, stirring to blend
Add boiled noodles and cook until heated through.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom