Hot Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
We have an abundance of hot dogs. I can of course grill them but need some more ideas. I do Pigs in a Blanket sometimes (Not the cabbage variety) and baked beans and hot dogs and for the kid I'll occasionally do Hot dogs with mac and cheese. But I mean really that's about it. Any ideas out there?

Well, its not much on the creative side, but, I just can't resist slicing them up sometimes into a can of pork-&-beans. Kiddos go bannanas over them too!

DUH...ETA - I just noticed that you already do this in a way...please forgive!

Last edited:
When we were kids, my mom would occasionally make omelets for dinner. She made fancy ones for her and my dad and hot dog and cheese ones for us for us ... Quite tasty!

Swedish hotdog dish from my Danish cooking site, Opskrifter/Madopskrifter Alletiders Kogebog

For 4 persons

• 400 grams onions, peeled weight (400 grams = ~ .9 pounds)
  • 30 grams margarine (~ 2 tablespoons)
  • 500 grams hotdogs (500 grams = ~ 1.1 pounds)
  • 3 tsps edelsuss (sweet) paprika
  • 1000 grams cold, cooked potatoes (1000 grams = 1 kilo = ~ 2.2 lbs)
  • 70 grams tomato paste (~ 2 tablespoons)
  • 2 dl whole milk (2 decilitres = ~ .8 cups)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 5 dl whipping cream (~2.1 cups)
  • garnish: 100 grams chives (~3.5 ounces)

• peel and chop onions, cut the hotdogs into rounds
  • brown the fat, saute the onions, add the hotdogs and paprika, lower the heat.
  • add the potatoes in slices the tomato paste, the milk, and the salt and pepper
  • Cook for 5 minutes
  • Add the cream and cook for another 5 minutes
  • Sprinkle chopped chives over the dish and serve

There is a "tip" at the end of the recipe:

It's up to you how much cream you add. You can certainly substitute milk for the cream, but it won't have the strong flavour you would otherwise get.

4_880.jpg

Last edited:
Tax mate that looks hotydoggydeliciosus, please make my day complete and tell me its wonderful with french fries.

Ps on the site you link too, the breakfast bread, "absolut verdens nemmeste morgenmadsboiler" looks good, I like the way it is left in the fridge overnight for a slow rise and I will give it a bash.

I put hot dogs in my Spanish Omelete. I have a pic but it will look naff next to Tax the Dogmeisters pic.

Ps on the site you link too, the breakfast bread, "absolut verdens nemmeste morgenmadsboiler" looks good, I like the way it is left in the fridge overnight for a slow rise and I will give it a bash.

I was going to give that a try, but it looks like my yeasties are dead. Are you using Google translate to understand those pages? Works pretty well, but can be quite funny on occasion.

Mom used to steam, then slice almost through lengthwise. Then she'd spoon on mashed potatoes, top with dabs of butter (actually margarine, we didn't do butter, too expensive) and paprika, for stuffed hot dogs.

In my dad's family (Quebecoise), they called them saucisse, (which I guess they are!) and served them for breakfast with eggs and other breakfast foods (steamed).

Also good sliced into mac & cheese.

I sometimes like to interject a food memory. We were vacationing in old Quebec city, and went to a brew pub down in the warehouse district by the river. The place was called Lenix or something like that. When I asked for the menu, the waitress said, "le hot-dog". OK. Well what followed was just short of obscene! There were these spikes on a steamer (picture: very phallic) and the gals would impale a thin baguette on them and steam it. Then they'd squirt mustard in the tubular hole (the only choices on the menu were the degree of heat in the mustard). Then they'd wiggle this foot long, skinny hot dog into the baguette. All this amid much ribaldry, especially among the men, of course. I thought we'd die laughing. My French is pretty bad, but I could still translate enough of the commentary for my husband, but really, it didn't take much translation. I don't know if I've ever laughed so hard over a lunch. Vive le (or is it la?) Hot-Dog!

Add them into scalloped potatos, you can add them as they are or grill them first to put some color on them.

We've used the large "dinner-style" hotdogs (4 to a package I think) in place of corned beef in a boiled dinner and they can also be substituted for kielbasa in other dishes.

Let me guess "BOGO" buys?

Karen

Just in case you are still looking for ideas .................. see the attached...........

Attachments

• Hot Dog!.pdf
    565 KB · Views: 248
Tube Steak!!! :LOL:

They can be used as a non-specific meat filler in most any soup or stew since they don't carry a lot of flavor on their own.

I sometimes make a side dish using diagonal sliced, pan fried hot dogs finished off with a balsamic vinegar/brown sugar glaze.

Make a cheese fondue, cut steamed hot dogs into 4 pieces each, give each kid a bamboo skewer and stand back... :) (fire hoses for cleanup are optional)

The four ways I cook hot dogs (other than adding them to thinks like beans or mac and cheese) are either grilled, boiled, pan fried in butter or deep fried (called rippers, because of the way the skin splits). When I make rippers I like the dogs with a cooked relish, usually diced jalapenos and onion, with a splash of balsamic vinegar. Then there is toasting the buns, not toasting the buns, sometimes no bun, just the hot dog on a plate with mustard. Chili dogs are always an option, too. And I think I remember MsMoffet here slicing them and cooking them with a red sauce over noodles. Oh, and there's always raw on a bun with mustard. Better than bologna! lol

For a twist on chili dogs, cook the dogs IN leftover chili. They pick up the chili flavor as they plump up.

Eat them with the chili or put them in a bun with some chili and minced onions and shredded cheese.

Split them lengthwise and fold them open. Add a little oil to a skillet on medium high. Fry them on both sides until starting to color and add a medium onion thinly sliced. Stir frequently until the onions are soft. Add a 14.5 oz can of stewed tomatoes and your favorite hot sauce to taste and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.

Craig

I was going to give that a try, but it looks like my yeasties are dead. Are you using Google translate to understand those pages? Works pretty well, but can be quite funny on occasion.
I used the translator I then get my wife to read it in English it sounds normal then, her first language is Croatian, her second is Italian her third is English:LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom