"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 03-31-2004, 11:05 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How do i buy MEAT?

Hi there..I have never purchased large portions of meat such as a roast or a tenderloin. Can i buy half a pork tenderloin? I'm not to good at this and always avoid the butcher because i dont' know what amount is what...i'm normally just cooking for me and one other person. THanks for any help.!!

Old 04-01-2004, 06:07 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Pork tenderloins are not that big. I don't have one in front of me but I'd be surprised if a pork tenderloin weighed even a pound. You might be able to feed two people with one tenderloin, but I doubt it. In the supermarket I usually see 2 tenderloins together in a cryovac package.

Beef tenderloin, on the other hand, can be anwhere from about 5-8 lbs, although sometimes you can find tenderloin ends sealed in plastic. Whole loin of pork is in the 6-10 lb. range.

Pork tenderloin is the most tender, most expensive cut of pork. It's also generally fairly lean so it doesn't lend itself well to overcooking.

Pork loin is, imo, one of the hardest things to cook well. Even though it normally has a layer of fat around it, the inner meat is so lean, it's very hard to keep from getting tough/dry. I've seen people wrap the whole roast in bacon, and that helps, but I'd still recommend not roasting pork loin. Slice it into chops and then saute it. Or maybe bread it and fry it instead.

Most butchers I've met are more than happy to help you choose a suitable piece of meat and they'll often have instructions on how to cook it - as long as there's not a long line behind you :)

Old 04-01-2004, 06:33 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Scott gave you some good info but I will throw my two cents in. Typically, you will want to figure at least 1/4 to 1/2 lb of meat per person depending on appetite and waste (bone, fat, etc). Determine first what type of dish you want to cook as some cuts fare better when braised (cooked in small amounts of liquid) some when grilled or broiled (remember...a broiler is an upside-down grill) and some when roasted (cooked in high, dry heat).

Once you determine the cooking method you can then choose the meat. The US meat industries all have websites that will give you good info on the various cuts of meat.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:02 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I bought some whole pork loins a while back... And a whole beef sirloin.

So long as you've got the freezer space, it's a great thing. Cut them into steaks or roasts while raw, wrap them up tight in lots of plastic wrap, squeeze out the air, and tape down the flaps, then stick them in the freezer. They'll last for months up there (I just ate a 4 month old pork chop, yummy!).

You definitely need to study your cuts before you buy _any_ meat. That's a must for anyone!

The Cook's Thesaurus is a good place to start.
http://www.foodsubs.com/

A Google search combining terms like "beef", "chuck", "sirloin", "pin bone", "7-bone", "pork", "brisket" and the like should reveal more detailed sources.

But, if you eat a lot of meat, and have the freezer space... The cost savings are definitely worth it. Imagine prime sirloin steaks for $2.49/lb. You can fit some really good eats into a modest budget this way. :)
Old 04-07-2004, 07:42 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Apropos pork, I was always wondering how come that Christians are allowed to eat it when God said it's an unclean animal? I don't get it, really.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Well, the theological answer would be that Christ's crucifixion and resurrection established a new covanent. Or somesuch. It's all rather abstract.

The historical reason is that it's a conversion religion, and pork's just too darn yummy! You're not going to convert any of 1st century Europe's pagans to your new religion if you tell them they have to give up pork. ;)

Ditto shellfish, which also aren't Kosher.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:28 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Saccrifices were done to attone for the sin people had done. It really was a sacrifice to do such a thing then. If you had a huge big honkin' sin you would use your BEST lamb. They were the best things to munch on then. Jesus is know as the Lamb of God. He was the ultimate sacrifice. When his was murdered, his death was a sacrifice to the world. He also began the new covenant. It said many new things to do... which is to lenthy to put here. But basically all the animals are here for us to munch on. And essenitally Jesus died for OUR sins with his sacrifice. So sacrificing animals was obsolete. Nothing could compare to Jesus's death.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:28 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Don't be afraid to ask your butcher these questions too. Well the questions about meat, not about Jesus (unless you really want to ).

Your butcher is a meat expert, or at least should be. He/she should be able to give you all sorts of great advice about how much you will need to buy, best ways to cook it, etc.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:09 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Sushi
Saccrifices were done to attone for the sin people had done. It really was a sacrifice to do such a thing then. If you had a huge big honkin' sin you would use your BEST lamb. They were the best things to munch on then. Jesus is know as the Lamb of God. He was the ultimate sacrifice. When his was murdered, his death was a sacrifice to the world. He also began the new covenant. It said many new things to do... which is to lenthy to put here. But basically all the animals are here for us to munch on. And essenitally Jesus died for OUR sins with his sacrifice. So sacrificing animals was obsolete. Nothing could compare to Jesus's death.
I don't know about that. I think he was a hippy before his time. Great story though.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:56 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Beef pot roasts are some of the best buys. But, in order to transform them into delectable entrées, it is necessary to understand them in terms of economy & breadth of selection. The lowest priced pot roast cuts contain tough connective tissues; they cook best when simmered slowly with only 1 or 2 inches of liquid in a stovetop covered pan or roasted in a covered pan in the oven. The slow moist heat softens the connective tissues and renders the meat tastier & more tender.

Generally speaking, there are 3 categories of pot roasts: From the front end of the animal come the less-tender cuts – Chuck Short Rib, Blade, Brisket, & Cross Rib roasts. Often these roasts are formed from two or three muscles rolled together. Properly cut & cooked, these are your best value in pot roasts.

For entertaining meals, you may select higher-quality, costlier medium-tender cuts from the hip section: Rump, Sirloin Tip, Top Round, Bottom Round, and Eye-of-Round roasts. In the best butcher shops & supermarkets, these are medium-tender, single-piece cuts.

The lower-quality Shoulder & Boneless Briskets often contain tough & gristly pieces of meat. Blades & Short Ribs are much better buys. Always buy your pot roasts as lean as possible.

Tags
None