How do I cook prime rib/roast beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No recipe, we just smoke it at about 250° until the disired doneness. Check with thermometer. Salt and pepper it, and sliced onions to the top.

We use hickory and pecan wood.

Melts in your mouth!

(Snicker!) :D

Note the comparison between the grain fed Alberta/Canadian beef that is being held back from the USA border, and thus our costs depressed where the USA's balloons...

Whereas its been a decade or more since I was caused to eat that horrible USA "corn fed" product that tasted like and aged billygoat that died of anthrax (mind! it was in an Army kitchen!) the Canadian stuff does taste better than the "off the shelf" USA product (a few exceptions, obviously...at the "Cattleman's" or whatever, beside "Billy Bob's in Fort Worth, the steaks were the best I've eaten! And I expect that there are other such places that have access to superior beef that is aged 28 days)

I've done the 250 degree heat on the BBQ with mesquite chips and water for steam, (using, coincidentally, blade roast, in an attempt to prop up the Cdn beef industry during the mad cow scare, over the single cow we were fool enough to take over the border from guess where?) and it turns out as lovely as the picture offered, but you lose any prospect whatever of gravy to go with the spuds and Yorkshires, which seems a bad trade off...

Steaming those beans, that there'd be a bit more "crackle" in them would make that platefull just that little bit more special...but its sort of neat to think of what you can do with a BBQ with a top end roast...its on the menu for tomorrow, when the daughter's "little carnivour" friend will be here, and am brining an Angus premium roast with mesquite marinade, 6 bay leaves, olive oil, Worcestshire, onion powder, fresh chopped garlic BBQ sauce, Kosher Salt etc and will do this one in an oven (in order that there is gravy on offer) and might try dicing prosciutto and fresh green onion into the mashed potato, just for a twist...

Lifter

Lifter said:
an Angus premium roast with mesquite marinade, 6 bay leaves, olive oil, Worcestshire, onion powder, fresh chopped garlic BBQ sauce, Kosher Salt etc and will do this one in an oven (in order that there is gravy on offer) and might try dicing prosciutto and fresh green onion into the mashed potato, just for a twist...

Lifter

drool.gif

Back
Top Bottom