"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 08-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

great videos ppt!!! it's fun to see the people behind the food pics and recipes. thanks very much.

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
Cook

I watched the video and in the comments section you said you had found a better way than that.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan9119 View Post
I watched the video and in the comments section you said you had found a better way than that.
For the meat I do it like I do in the mongolian beef video. For my beef and broccoli I do it more like I do in my pan fried noodles with beef and broccoli video. I am always learning more and updating how I do things.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I always enjoy your cooking video's PP! I really appreciate they are straightforward and non pretentious, and thanks for going to the trouble of making them. Sometime ago I watched a video about how to do the velveting method and the girl was so annoying I gave up.
I started doing them to show friends and family how I made the things that they liked. I have just continued on with that style.

I think I know the girl you are talking about. I watch her videos but her voice does grate on some peoples nerves. She does do more of the American style Chinese where I am trying to learn the real Chinese methods.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
great videos ppt!!! it's fun to see the people behind the food pics and recipes. thanks very much.
Thank you. I don't think I will be doing a lot of cooking for the next few months (hotel living). So I am planning a series on food photography for beginners.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop

Thank you. I don't think I will be doing a lot of cooking for the next few months (hotel living). So I am planning a series on food photography for beginners.
Unable to view on my iPad, as your video requires Adobe Flash. Weird, as I can view most Youtube vids. Will have to check it out on the seldom used PC.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:57 AM   #17
Cook

I'm semi confused after watching the video. Do you have to deep fry the steaks to achieve the results? You replied to a comment recently in that video that said you had found a better way to do the meat.

Can I simply use this velveting "marinade" then simmer the steaks in the sauce, do I brown it first, deep fry them?
Old 08-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan9119 View Post
I'm semi confused after watching the video. Do you have to deep fry the steaks to achieve the results? You replied to a comment recently in that video that said you had found a better way to do the meat.

Can I simply use this velveting "marinade" then simmer the steaks in the sauce, do I brown it first, deep fry them?
The better way thatI found is basically what I do in the mongolian beef video. Marinade with corn starch (no egg) hit it with a hot work until 75 to 80% done take out finish the veggies then put the meat back in.

You can also do the velveting up to the frying part then blanch it in boiling water. Then sear it in the wok. I have not tried that with beef but have read about it. It does work with chicken.

Tags
chinese