"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Old 12-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #21
Master Chef
Kurt, I think it's great that you are interested in cooking. I taught my grandson to cook several things, and he knows his way around a kitchen pretty well, as does my step-son, and my husband is a darned good cook and getting better all the time.
I would recommend that you start out cooking things that you know and like. Perhaps learn to make a really great hamburger and oven-fried potatoes. Spaghetti, garlic bread and salad would be another good one to start with. One of the first meals I learned was baked chicken (chicken pieces baked with Golden Mushroom soup), baked potatoes and green bean casserole. Once you learn some cooking methods and gain confidence, you'll find yourself branching out with new recipes.

Here is a site where you'll find lots of simple recipes to start out with:

One more very important hint...Clean up after yourself as you go, so you don't find yourself facing a disaster area when you are finished.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #22
Executive Chef
cooking is a life long pursuit. even the iron chefs are learning from the challangers and each other every day. THe library or a store like Borders has many books you can look through. Personally, I think the New Joy of Cooking is the best all round basic a chef can own. Even so, it is not a "beginners". It takes some knowledge to plan a meal and get the timings down etc.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:53 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Its good to see that other young people are interested in cooking. I am 17 and I cook very often. I work at a local resteraunt and I cater as a Personal Chef to parties and dinners for Friends and associates. You should look into any Culinary Art's Classes that may be in your area. If you look on FoodTV.com, they have a lot of How To videos that introduce you to basic Knife skills, and cooking techniques.

Also, Spanglish is a good movie.

Good luck!

JoshBenske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:39 AM   #24
Senior Cook
Welcome Kurt. My first and still favorite cookbook is The Fannie Farmer one. It will give you tons of recipes, measurements, cooking times for all types of meat/veggies whether cooking stove top, oven or even microwave. It covers just about any cooking question you may have. I just got a new one, as the pages in my other one were falling out. There is practically no food or recipe that isn't in this cookbook. Also, when I am interested in a particular cookbook, I will look it up from Barnes & Noble to get their prices, both new and used, and then start watching on eBay for it. I have gotten my last four cookbooks through eBay for less than half of the price new and still less than their used prices. Have fun in the kitchen.
cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #25
Master Chef
Cat, I agree that Fannie Farmer is a great cookbook to start with. I used that and Joy of Cooking when I was starting out. After they fell apart, I replaced them with the new versions.
eBay does have some good bargains on cookbooks, although the shipping is often higher than the price of the book.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #26
Assistant Cook
Heyyy. I'm twenty, and also a beginner into the world of cooking. I have a family to make for so i'm trying to learn fast. My mom, as great as a mom as she is, didn't teach me to cook so i'm having to teach myself! We're all in it together! Welcome!
A life without love is not a life worth living. To live would be such a big adventure.
ANewCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:39 AM   #27
Assistant Cook
Get one of Racheal Ray's books. She cooks real food from scratch--no soup mixes. Her recipes are healthy and can be done quickly and are quite imaginative in adapting longer cooking recipes to making them fast. I also think she is aiming at making young people realize that they really can cook.
Or even better than buying a book, look on foodtv.com for her recipes.

Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote