"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 05-30-2005, 01:10 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up Im a 17 year old and need help into the world of cooking

hi tonight i was watching a movie (spanglish: its good check it out) and it happens, adam sandler is a head chef of some restraunt wich leads me to this sight for some reason he made me want to cook. im a begginer so im looking for a begginers cook book to teach me how to cook meat and to have nice dinners ready for my family when they come home from work, or whatever and maybe a little for the ladys in my future

so if anyone knows of a book that goes over some meals dealing with any kind of meat even the game kind im a avid hunter so i have a freezer full of deer and fish please let me know. i am extriemly interested in learning. and any aditional advice on how to get started would be greatly apreciated.

Kurt

Old 05-30-2005, 02:02 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Hi Kurt,
welcome to the group! Be sure to check out all the recipes already posted.
My favorite cookbook is called.... BETTERHOMES AND GARDENS NEW COOKBOOK 10TH EDITION. It is full of easy and great tasting dishes.

Old 05-30-2005, 02:09 AM   #3
Master Chef

hello! welcome to the site! try www.bartleby.com/87/
Old 05-30-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Hi Kurt welcome to DC!!! You can find all sorts of good recipes here AND at times I have gone to Allrecipes.com for ideas and recipes. If you do use their recipes, make sure you read the reviews. I won't make anything from the site that is under 5 stars and I pay attention to other peoples suggestions. Have found some nice recipes from that site and sometimes they even give suggestions of what to fix with it.

By the way, knowing adam sandler as an actor, please don't think to make cooking a career by what he does in a movie. I think you would be sadly disappointed because from what I have heard a chef has a lot of stress, long hours, lots of competition and I have no clue about their salaries but I have a feeling that those just starting out are paid very little. Sooo I think it takes a lot of dedication, hard work, enthusiasm for cooking and creating, ingenuity in thinking up new recipes, etc. and have heard some budding chefs who are burned out after only a year or two. :(
Old 05-30-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
Head Chef

Glad your here and you can learn alot at this site. Remember when cooking venison, don't salt it before or while cooking as it will dry it out more. You can cook venison like beef except for the salt. Salt after cooking. Starting to cook, staat easy and ease into the tougher recipes.If you want to cook and like it you will be a good cook and learn fast. Happy cooking. and welcome to this site.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Welcome Kurt, you came to the right place. You will find lots of great recipes and help when you need it, just ask. If your budget allows, subscribe or buy at the grocers "Taste of Home" magazine. Recipes are all tried and true and use ingredients found in most homes. That being said, you'll still find the best ones here.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:54 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
welcome. i am a year younger than you. we're all beginners
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
Hospitality Queen

Kurt! So glad you found us!
I'm totally in agreement here - especially with the Taste of Home magazines. I've been getting them forever and they really are great tools. (and they don't have recipes with hard-to-find ingredients)
My favorite cookbook for beginners is also the Better Homes and Gardens one, but it's from 1942. It has almost 1,000 pages of really good information. I found it at an estate sale. That's my advice - go to estate sales or garage or tag sales for cookbooks. Also, as estate sales try to sell everything in the house that isn't bolted down, go straight to the kitchen and find the recipe boxes! Those are my favorite finds of all.

Even more advice: ask us questions often! We all love to help each other out, and there are always lots of people online.

PS - I adore Adam Sandler, and that movie as well. I thought it showed that he did work long hours....

best of luck in the cooking realm, Kurt!
Old 05-30-2005, 12:07 PM   #9
Head Chef

Welcome kurtthecook. Check out this thread.

Easy recipes for beginner cooks
Old 05-30-2005, 01:58 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

HEY KURT A GOOD WEBSITE TO USE FOR BASICS LIKE YOU WANT WOULD BE WWW.COOKS.COM IT HAS A LOT OF GOOD RECIPES TO PICK FROM. HOPE EVERYTHING GOES GOOD FOR YOU.

Tags
None