Inverted Bratwursts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pictures confirm you shouldn't boil them. The forked ones looked a lot better. When I cook brats (a different brand) I just grill them slowly to cook them through and they end up nicely browned all around. If there is a small crack or two in the casing, I don;t care.

well it would seem that Contrary to what I was taught for cooking sausages, that Pricking these type all over Does seem to be the best method, splitting all over does leave the overall shape more uniform.

Jeekz, I have no idea mate, I`v certainly not Seen any here, Local anyway.

The casing is definately the problem. A good butcher should have some home made brats or try a different brand.

Are you sure you weren't trying to make these?

octopus hot dogs ;)

Looks like you overcooked (over boiled) 'em. I only prick hot dogs if I cook them in the microwave. Also, were they defrosted (previously frozen)? Did you check out the link I posted for Johnsonville? I'd go with another brand.

Amy, I did check out the link but since I`m in the UK....
yes they were frozen once, but defrosted totally.
the only problem with another brand is that Bratwurst isn`t Too readily available where I am, I know of 2 places, but only One does the larger types like these.

Maybe we should all pitch in and ship him some Johnsonvilles!!!!

I prefer handmade sausages and brats, but never do I turn down any well made fresh sausage.

YT those do appear different from the US style ones, have you tried slow cooking them at a lower temp?

Maybe we should all pitch in and ship him some Johnsonvilles!!!!

I agree, suziquzie. Looking at the pic, again, a fork standing upright in the brat kinda concerns me. But, going by experience with brats from US. I probably would seek out brats from another source.

here is the outcome, the forked brats:
bratfork1.JPG

Last edited:
That happens to be my Very own Personal eating fork and it`s solid silver thank you very much!

I`ll have nothing bad said about it:ermm: :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I prefer handmade sausages

yeah, I`m a sausage in hand kinda guy too :angel:

Last edited:
I boil (simmer) mine in beer first, with a little onion in it.
They cook al the way thru, no splitting,
Then they are just on the grill to get brown and crisp for a short time. Still no splitting because it's a short time.
MMM I may have to go grill in the 5 degree weather today.

That sounds good! :)

here is the outcome

bratgrill.JPG

pretty disgusting eh!

OMG! LOL! Get yourself some Johnsonville Brats. They are the standard by which all other brats are measured.

I cook them through in 2:1 water:beer with a generous amount of coarsely chopped onions. Then I put them on a hot grill until the outside is cooked like I want them.

Don't worry about the ends splitting a little, because if there is some of that fat isn't released you are looking at some severe burns when you take your first bite...

OMG! LOL! Get yourself some Johnsonville Brats. They are the standard by which all other brats are measured.

I cook them through in 2:1 water:beer with a generous amount of coarsely chopped onions. Then I put them on a hot grill until the outside is cooked like I want them.

Don't worry about the ends splitting a little, because if there is some of that fat isn't released you are looking at some severe burns when you take your first bite...

I have to go along with you all the way on this one. I too am a Johnsonville Fan. I think they make about the best store-bought brats anywhere. And I cook mine in beer and onions too. Fifteen minutes in the beer then slowly on the grill. By the time they reach the grill they are cooked almost all the way through so you only need a few minutes on the bbq grill to get them to brown. Too long on the grill will make them pop. And NEVER pierce them when you cook them, you release all those juices. Great! Now I gotta make brats or I'll think about them for a week.

I think YT and I PM'd back and fourth on this. Johnsonville does not ship to Europe. I was going to send him some, but Dry Ice+FAA=Pain in the Butt.

Johnsonville were my favorite brats for a very long time too, then I found a butcher close by that made some that are out of this world! I also noticed that his casings were open at the ends and they never split open.
I still get Johnsonville brats on occasion, but if budget allows I go with the ones from the butcher.
I am thinking YT is having a casing problem, the casing is weak and can't stand up to the internal expansion. Also in my experience the best ones split a little as they cook letting some juice out but not all of it so they don't dry out.
If I do have one that doesn't split open or let some of the fat out as it cooks, I will poke it with a fork to encourage it.
Again, I don't want all of the fat out, just some so it doesn't threaten to explode on me LOL.
And yea, watch that first bite LOL.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom