"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 01-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Talking

That happens to be my Very own Personal eating fork and it`s solid silver thank you very much!

I`ll have nothing bad said about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey View Post
I prefer handmade sausages
yeah, I`m a sausage in hand kinda guy too

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #52
Sous Chef

I think we've taken this thread too far

Old 01-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #53
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I boil (simmer) mine in beer first, with a little onion in it.
They cook al the way thru, no splitting,
Then they are just on the grill to get brown and crisp for a short time. Still no splitting because it's a short time.
MMM I may have to go grill in the 5 degree weather today.
That sounds good!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #54
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
here is the outcome

pretty disgusting eh!
OMG! LOL! Get yourself some Johnsonville Brats. They are the standard by which all other brats are measured.

I cook them through in 2:1 water:beer with a generous amount of coarsely chopped onions. Then I put them on a hot grill until the outside is cooked like I want them.

Don't worry about the ends splitting a little, because if there is some of that fat isn't released you are looking at some severe burns when you take your first bite...
Old 01-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
OMG! LOL! Get yourself some Johnsonville Brats. They are the standard by which all other brats are measured.

I cook them through in 2:1 water:beer with a generous amount of coarsely chopped onions. Then I put them on a hot grill until the outside is cooked like I want them.

Don't worry about the ends splitting a little, because if there is some of that fat isn't released you are looking at some severe burns when you take your first bite...
I have to go along with you all the way on this one. I too am a Johnsonville Fan. I think they make about the best store-bought brats anywhere. And I cook mine in beer and onions too. Fifteen minutes in the beer then slowly on the grill. By the time they reach the grill they are cooked almost all the way through so you only need a few minutes on the bbq grill to get them to brown. Too long on the grill will make them pop. And NEVER pierce them when you cook them, you release all those juices. Great! Now I gotta make brats or I'll think about them for a week.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #56
Executive Chef

I think YT and I PM'd back and fourth on this. Johnsonville does not ship to Europe. I was going to send him some, but Dry Ice+FAA=Pain in the Butt.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:44 AM   #57
Master Chef

Johnsonville were my favorite brats for a very long time too, then I found a butcher close by that made some that are out of this world! I also noticed that his casings were open at the ends and they never split open.
I still get Johnsonville brats on occasion, but if budget allows I go with the ones from the butcher.
I am thinking YT is having a casing problem, the casing is weak and can't stand up to the internal expansion. Also in my experience the best ones split a little as they cook letting some juice out but not all of it so they don't dry out.
If I do have one that doesn't split open or let some of the fat out as it cooks, I will poke it with a fork to encourage it.
Again, I don't want all of the fat out, just some so it doesn't threaten to explode on me LOL.
And yea, watch that first bite LOL.

Tags
None