Inverted Bratwursts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let me ask a question. Why does it matter if they burst? I have sausages burst on me all the time. They are never dry and always taste great. Personally, I have no issue if they pop open. I kind of like it actually.

Just my two cents....I like it when they split. Sometimes I cut them so they will. I know...bad girl.

Let me ask a question. Why does it matter if they burst? I have sausages burst on me all the time. They are never dry and always taste great. Personally, I have no issue if they pop open. I kind of like it actually.

Yeah....I'll stay away from that one. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

YT, I never had a brat or sausage split on me like you said. I have had hot dogs and kielbasa do that though. Maybe a slow simmer to loosen up the casing first then a minute or two to brown on a grill or skillet. Do you know what type of casing is on them?

Splitting is just natural as the juices flow, you must be cooking them too fast at too high a temperature, you are supposed to slow cook em!
\
Your brats are not faulty!

I don't know.... splitting just aint right. Not for brats or sausages that are entirely cased, even the ends.
For one thing they don't fit in the bun as well. You also don't get that first juicy bite with hot juice burning your chin. And if splitting or holes in the casing were OK, then they wouldn't tell you to only use tongs, not a fork to pick them up and position.

I remember years ago somebody making hardboiled eggs and one had cracked with the egg leaching outside and cooking.... nobody reached for that one to eat because it just didn't look right :ermm: I'm sure it tasted the same though :)

For one thing they don't fit in the bun as well. You also don't get that first juicy bite with hot juice burning your chin. And if splitting or holes in the casing were OK, then they wouldn't tell you to only use tongs, not a fork to pick them up and position.
I have to completely disagree with just about everything here. I am not saying you are wrong for you, but these have not been my experiences at all. One that has split fits just as well in the bun for me as a non split one. Actually I think it works even better. If you put the split on top then you have a more level playing field to place any toppings you want without them rolling off onto the sides.

As for juice burning your chin, I fail to see what it splitting or not splitting has anything to do with that. I find that both ways juice pours out.

The reason that I can see for not using a fork to pick them up is because if they have not already split then puncturing it with a fork could send a jet of juice squirting up to burn you. That could be quite dangerous. If it happens on its own though then it has already released that pressure and the danger is past for the most part.

Maybe I am just not understanding what you are saying pacanis. Do you mean you really did not mean what you said? Not sure what the tongue in cheek emoticon would signify otherwise.

I am not saying that what you said is not true for you. I am sure it is or you would not have said it. I am just saying it is not true for me.

I think Jeekinz is on to something here. YT, what type of casings are on your brats? If I remember right, natural casings tend to split more than artificial casings.

When I first started cooking professionally, at a Cajun restaurant, we cooked Boudin as a sandwich or appetizer item. If we left it on the grill for to long, especially on a hot spot, it would split.

I mentioned the casing thing, but deleted it cause I couldn't remember if my (Johnsonville) brats had casings. Anyhoo, I cook them on an indoor grill (w hasbrowns, onions & peppers) & never had a splitting problem. Here's the link again. Perhaps the cooking methods/timing/temp suggestions might help.

Johnsonville

Last edited:
I think we need to remember YT's querry.

does anyone know a way to prevent my Bratwurst sausages from splitting along the length and then flipping themselves inside-out?

There's a big difference between a split..... and a split that turns your cylindrical piece of meat inside out, which basically doubles it in size, making it fit onto two slices of bread more easily than a brat bun. Maybe I'm misunderstanding him, but I'm thinking they appear butterflied, as if you slit them lengthwise with a knife and cooked them that way, which would not be the "preferred" method of serving them any more than the cracked egg I mentioned, or ripping a drumstick off of poultry and having most of the meat remain attached to the thigh. IMO.

GB, I meant most of what I said, but in jest.
Johnsonville has a light-hearted commercial about not breaking the skin while grilling their brats. I believe it is more for retaining the juices than safety concerns.
And generally speaking, yes, you could still burn your chin from the juices of a split brat, but everyone knows what the first bite of a cherry tomato is like (or even some fried chicken wings)... there's more juice and the release of pressure if the skin (casing) remains intact until that first piercing.

Maybe we're all just being too analytical of YT's brats or bangers or whatever they are :LOL:

here is the outcome, the forked brats:
bratfork1.JPG

bratfork.JPG

not anywhere Near as bad as normal, I`d call that a result.

the boiled ones:
bratboil.JPG

quite clearly exploded again, I took them all out and put them on the grill before they got inedible here:

bratgrill.JPG

pretty disgusting eh!

YT those are much different looking brats than we have here. The meat is much darker and I bet the casing too.
Maybe we need to find a true bratwurst maker from Germany, hand him the 2 different brats and throw in some of his, then start the experiment all over again, control groups and everything! :)

Wow..... the boiled ones look like your making some kind of sausage and onion soup :ohmy: That's "inverted" all right.
Those are very different brats than the ones I find or that they sell around here. Probably truer to a real thing, but there doesn't appear to be much of a casing on them. It looks like it's shrinking right away.
Good luck dude! :)

Back
Top Bottom