ISO a good TNT basic meatloaf recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine is nearly the same as JMediger's with the exception I use saltine crackers as the main bread component. Each loaf is slightly different since I intentionally use no recipe, but the basics are the same each time.

The spices will vary upon my mood, as well as the topping/glaze. It could be plain ketchup, or BBQ sauce, or Italian Spiced Tomato Paste, or Oatmeal Crumble Topping.

Yum! Almost like a Stroganoff recipe in a meatloaf. It absolutely sounds delicious! I am going to try that for my next meatloat and make some homemade noodles.

I think I am already putting on weight! I love mushrooms and sour cream!

Here's one for your to try. I call it "Stuffed Meatloaf" with

Ingredients:
1 lean ground beef (preferably Sirloin, but Chuck will do)
1/2 lb. Hot Italian Sausage
1 large egg
1 medium sized yellow onion, minced
1/4 cup grated Asiago Cheese
2 tbs. minced basil leaves
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. thyme powder
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic, or three cloves, minced
1/4 cup breadcrumbs

Lay a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet to cover. Mix all ingredients and spread evenly across the cookie sheet.

Stuffing:
2 cups dried bread cubes
1/2 cup beef stock
1 lb. bacon, fried but still limp, chopped
1/4 cup minced bell pepper
1/2 cup cooked Orzo noodles
1/2 sup minced crab meat or shrimp
1 egg
1 tbs Old Bay Seasoning
2 tsp. powdered thyme
1 tsp. coarse grind black pepper

Combine stuffing ingredients and spread evenly over top of the meatloaf mixture. Using the parchment paper to assist, jelly roll the meatloaf and center on the cookie sheet (jellyroll pan). Bake until a meat thermometer reads 160 in the center of the loaf.

Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let cook for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with a lemon/tarragon/garlic compound butter.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

LOW CARB/LOW FAT MEAT LOAF

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 pound 90% ground beef
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 cup oatmeal
½ onion, diced
½ bell pepper, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 eggs
1 Tbs oregano
½ cup tomato sauce
2 Tbs olive oil

Sauté onion, bell pepper, and celery in 2 Tbs olive oil until soft. Add garlic and continue to sauté until onions are transparent. Add tomato sauce and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, then allow to cool. Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add ground beef, ground turkey breast, oatmeal, and oregano to bowl, mix thoroughly, then add sauce to bowl and combine. Pat tightly into a loaf pan and invert onto the grid of a broiler pan. Bake in 375F oven for 1 hour. Makes 8 servings.

Total protein per serving – 17.0g
Total carbs per serving – 3.5g
Total fat per serving – 9.0g
[/FONT]

My mom's meatloaf is my favorite:

1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (or ground buffalo--even better)
An egg
Small to medium onion, chopped
A couple big handfuls of uncooked oatmeal
Evaporated (or regular) milk--enough to moisten, but not enough to fall apart
Any spices you want to add. I usually add garlic.

Mix well, bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes (depending on how much ground beef).

I make one with oatmeal as well.

I like to sautee my onions in butter until soft, add some ketchup, and a little bit of a-1 steak sauce.

Always like it with oatmeal. Also like green olives mixed in, whole or chopped with pimento.

i also tried quinoa instead of bread crumbs before, it came out good, i quinoa and then add it instead of bread crumbs.

quinoa is good +healthy grain.

Basic meatloaf recipe, no extra flavors. Pat out flat into a rectangle and spread on the middle half, sauteed mushrooms, onions and garlic, spread out sour cream. Fold each end in and bake until done. Prepare a mushroom gravy for pouring on top to serve. It's dramatic on a platter that has cooked egg noodles, the meatloaf and gravy poured on and piped stars of sour cream.
how do u make the mushroom gravy?

3/lb ground beef - room temp
1 green bell pepper - chopped fine
1 red bell pepper - chopped fine
1 small onion - chopped fine
2 raw eggs
1 TBSP Tabasco brand Hot Ketchup
1 TBSP Tabasco brand Hot Mustard
1 TBSP Heinz brand Ketchup
1 TBSP Gulden's brand Spicy brown Mustard
1 envelope Lipton's dry onion soup mix (regular or beefy)
Fresh ground sea salt and peppercorns

I like this thread! I'm new to this, but experimenting with meatloaf quite a bit. Most have turned out, but one with jalapenos, cheddar, and way too much cumin was not edible. I have learned that I like the oatmeal, but still looking for the right ratios of other ingredients to actually make a TNT recipe out of it. I'll have to try the green olives in the next one, though!

I like this thread! I'm new to this, but experimenting with meatloaf quite a bit. Most have turned out, but one with jalapenos, cheddar, and way too much cumin was not edible. I have learned that I like the oatmeal, but still looking for the right ratios of other ingredients to actually make a TNT recipe out of it. I'll have to try the green olives in the next one, though!

Next time scale way back on the cumin. I use a homemade taco seasoning in mine and salsa for moisture. Crumbled corn chips are nice (about 1 cup crumbled) in place of crackers or oatmeal. Save the cheese for the top or roll out your loaf put the cheese in the middle and roll back up. Once done, I finish it by topping like I would any taco with sour cream, diced tomatoes, diced onions, served on shredded lettuce. Really good all in one meal. There, I went and made myself hungry...

Next time scale way back on the cumin. I use a homemade taco seasoning in mine and salsa for moisture. Crumbled corn chips are nice (about 1 cup crumbled) in place of crackers or oatmeal. Save the cheese for the top or roll out your loaf put the cheese in the middle and roll back up. Once done, I finish it by topping like I would any taco with sour cream, diced tomatoes, diced onions, served on shredded lettuce. Really good all in one meal. There, I went and made myself hungry...
I do something similar, only I put spinach in the middle with the cheese.

I would like to share some "meatloaf" ideas, I've stumbled on over the years.

I use rye bread crumbs, from semi-stale seedless rye bread (but seeds probably wouldn't hurt). This adds a delicious undertaste the people comment on but can't quite figure out. I use a half-cup at least.

For a different tomato sauce I use one can of Campbell's tomato soup, a half-cup of ketchup, and 4 Tblsp. A1 Sauce. Sweet and slightly tangy.

This is what I do ... Beat one egg, mix in a 1/4 cup of milk, a 1/4 cup of bread crumbs, a diced medium onion, salt, pepper, and oregano. I let that sit for about 10 minutes then mix in 1 lb of hamburger. I bake it for about 45 minutes in a loaf pan. DH is a fan and he's not really a meatloaf fan ... I think using the crumbs and milk rather than a piece of torn bread and water helps it stay moist.

This is the one I make with the addition of a handful of grated romano cheese. I bake mine free form and top it with bacon or ketchup and brown sugar. I am not a big fan of hot meatloaf, I make it mainly as a sandwich loaf. Slice it very thin and use thousand island dressing on sour rye bread! :pig:

A lot of compliments from this one, I won't make it any other way:

2 lbs ground chuck
1 1/4 cup bread crumbs (I use different types, whatever is on hand)
1 chopped onion
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
3 Tb vinegar
3 Tb brown sugar
2 Tb worcestershire
2 Tb mustard

Mix beef, crumbs, onions, beaten egg, S&P, and 1/2 can tomato sauce. make loaf. Mix the rest of the ingredients and pour over. Bake covered at 350, about 1 hour 15 minutes.

Meatloaf is such a great meal because it's so diverse. I always start with 1 lb of ground beef, 1 egg, 1/2 cup of milk, some minced onion, minced garlic, a bit of Worcestershire, salt & pepper, and a pinch of dry mustard.
Then it's breadcrumbs. The filler.
Just add a box of home style or poultry stuffing but only use half of the seasoning pouch & top with ketchup.
Or 1 cup of breadcrumbs and some parsley and a onion soup packet & top with BBQ sauce.
Or grind up some tortilla chips instead of breadcrumbs & add a packet of taco or fajita seasoning & top with chili sauce and perhaps some pineapple slices.

There are all sorts of awesome things you can do with meatloaf. Cut your beef in half with chicken or turkey for lower fat if you like.
Meatloaf. Is there anything it can't do?

Meatloaf is such a great meal because it's so diverse. I always start with 1 lb of ground beef, 1 egg, 1/2 cup of milk, some minced onion, minced garlic, a bit of Worcestershire, salt & pepper, and a pinch of dry mustard.
Then it's breadcrumbs. The filler.
Just add a box of home style or poultry stuffing but only use half of the seasoning pouch & top with ketchup.
Or 1 cup of breadcrumbs and some parsley and a onion soup packet & top with BBQ sauce.
Or grind up some tortilla chips instead of breadcrumbs & add a packet of taco or fajita seasoning & top with chili sauce and perhaps some pineapple slices.

There are all sorts of awesome things you can do with meatloaf. Cut your beef in half with chicken or turkey for lower fat if you like.
Meatloaf. Is there anything it can't do?

I'm serious! You can even make it into other entrees, meatballs, spaghetti sauce, itself a stuffing for another dish like stuffed chicken breasts. stuffed green peppers..etc.

Meatloaf is a dish known everywhere on the planet in one form or another.

What kind of person could be a puppy-kickin meatloaf hater? :D

The voices have told me that there is Meatloaf on the Mother-ship! I always listen to the voices...one of them sounds like Dinky.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom