"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 01-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

I like this thread! I'm new to this, but experimenting with meatloaf quite a bit. Most have turned out, but one with jalapenos, cheddar, and way too much cumin was not edible. I have learned that I like the oatmeal, but still looking for the right ratios of other ingredients to actually make a TNT recipe out of it. I'll have to try the green olives in the next one, though!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Not my only meatloaf, but my favourite: Mock Armadillo (Danish meatloaf)

Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by derailedbus View Post
I like this thread! I'm new to this, but experimenting with meatloaf quite a bit. Most have turned out, but one with jalapenos, cheddar, and way too much cumin was not edible. I have learned that I like the oatmeal, but still looking for the right ratios of other ingredients to actually make a TNT recipe out of it. I'll have to try the green olives in the next one, though!
Next time scale way back on the cumin. I use a homemade taco seasoning in mine and salsa for moisture. Crumbled corn chips are nice (about 1 cup crumbled) in place of crackers or oatmeal. Save the cheese for the top or roll out your loaf put the cheese in the middle and roll back up. Once done, I finish it by topping like I would any taco with sour cream, diced tomatoes, diced onions, served on shredded lettuce. Really good all in one meal. There, I went and made myself hungry...
Old 01-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Next time scale way back on the cumin. I use a homemade taco seasoning in mine and salsa for moisture. Crumbled corn chips are nice (about 1 cup crumbled) in place of crackers or oatmeal. Save the cheese for the top or roll out your loaf put the cheese in the middle and roll back up. Once done, I finish it by topping like I would any taco with sour cream, diced tomatoes, diced onions, served on shredded lettuce. Really good all in one meal. There, I went and made myself hungry...
I do something similar, only I put spinach in the middle with the cheese.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Another favorite of mine is to make Swedish meatballs into meatloaf, topped with the gravy one puts on the meatballs.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I would like to share some "meatloaf" ideas, I've stumbled on over the years.

I use rye bread crumbs, from semi-stale seedless rye bread (but seeds probably wouldn't hurt). This adds a delicious undertaste the people comment on but can't quite figure out. I use a half-cup at least.

For a different tomato sauce I use one can of Campbell's tomato soup, a half-cup of ketchup, and 4 Tblsp. A1 Sauce. Sweet and slightly tangy.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
This is what I do ... Beat one egg, mix in a 1/4 cup of milk, a 1/4 cup of bread crumbs, a diced medium onion, salt, pepper, and oregano. I let that sit for about 10 minutes then mix in 1 lb of hamburger. I bake it for about 45 minutes in a loaf pan. DH is a fan and he's not really a meatloaf fan ... I think using the crumbs and milk rather than a piece of torn bread and water helps it stay moist.

This is the one I make with the addition of a handful of grated romano cheese. I bake mine free form and top it with bacon or ketchup and brown sugar. I am not a big fan of hot meatloaf, I make it mainly as a sandwich loaf. Slice it very thin and use thousand island dressing on sour rye bread!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #38
Sous Chef

A lot of compliments from this one, I won't make it any other way:

2 lbs ground chuck
1 1/4 cup bread crumbs (I use different types, whatever is on hand)
1 chopped onion
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
3 Tb vinegar
3 Tb brown sugar
2 Tb worcestershire
2 Tb mustard

Mix beef, crumbs, onions, beaten egg, S&P, and 1/2 can tomato sauce. make loaf. Mix the rest of the ingredients and pour over. Bake covered at 350, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #39
Cook

Meatloaf is such a great meal because it's so diverse. I always start with 1 lb of ground beef, 1 egg, 1/2 cup of milk, some minced onion, minced garlic, a bit of Worcestershire, salt & pepper, and a pinch of dry mustard.
Then it's breadcrumbs. The filler.
Just add a box of home style or poultry stuffing but only use half of the seasoning pouch & top with ketchup.
Or 1 cup of breadcrumbs and some parsley and a onion soup packet & top with BBQ sauce.
Or grind up some tortilla chips instead of breadcrumbs & add a packet of taco or fajita seasoning & top with chili sauce and perhaps some pineapple slices.

There are all sorts of awesome things you can do with meatloaf. Cut your beef in half with chicken or turkey for lower fat if you like.
Meatloaf. Is there anything it can't do?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by slett View Post
Meatloaf is such a great meal because it's so diverse. I always start with 1 lb of ground beef, 1 egg, 1/2 cup of milk, some minced onion, minced garlic, a bit of Worcestershire, salt & pepper, and a pinch of dry mustard.
Then it's breadcrumbs. The filler.
Just add a box of home style or poultry stuffing but only use half of the seasoning pouch & top with ketchup.
Or 1 cup of breadcrumbs and some parsley and a onion soup packet & top with BBQ sauce.
Or grind up some tortilla chips instead of breadcrumbs & add a packet of taco or fajita seasoning & top with chili sauce and perhaps some pineapple slices.

There are all sorts of awesome things you can do with meatloaf. Cut your beef in half with chicken or turkey for lower fat if you like.
Meatloaf. Is there anything it can't do?
I'm serious! You can even make it into other entrees, meatballs, spaghetti sauce, itself a stuffing for another dish like stuffed chicken breasts. stuffed green peppers..etc.

Meatloaf is a dish known everywhere on the planet in one form or another.

What kind of person could be a puppy-kickin meatloaf hater?

The voices have told me that there is Meatloaf on the Mother-ship! I always listen to the voices...one of them sounds like Dinky.

Tags
recipe

ISO a good TNT basic meatloaf recipe what's your recepie to make a delicious & best meatloaf? looking for no cans :wink:recepie 3 stars 1 reviews