ISO Beef Heart Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I purchased a beef heart and wanted to introduce it to a pot-luck at church. I cubed it, and used it in a beef stew. Everyone asked me how I made the stew because it had such a wonderful, beefy flavor. I told them that I used beef heart in the stew. They were floored, but loved it. As was said in a previous post, heart has a stronger flavor than do most parts of the cow. This is because it is the hardest working muscle and has great blood flow to it. Braising for a stew will release some of that flavor into the "gravy" while at the same time, tenderizing the meat. The meat had a fine grain to it, and was somewhat darker in color than is most of the beef available from a cow. It is a very tasty piece of meat, when used properly.

It would also be great in beef soups, or maybe even corned, then cooked slow and wet.

You won't be disappointed with beef hear.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Any one who is a fan of the "Coney Island" hot dogs in Michigan knows how difficult it is to reproduce the flavor at home. I've seen people put everything in it from tomato sauce to ground up hot dogs, neither of which belong in there.

A little known fact is that it's made from beef heart, thus its distinctive flavor. So if I had a beef heart, I'd try to reproduce the Coney sauce.

Ingredients list (off the 5# commercial brick from National):
Beef heart meat, beef suet, water, cracker meal, wheat flour, textured vegetable protein (soy flour, caramel coloring), spices, salt, flavorings, paprika.

So... I am the proud owner of 2 lbs of beef heart. It was from a local farm and dirt cheap. Great!

Now what to do with it? :ermm:

I've never cooked beef heart before. Being pure muscle, and with very little fat, I'm thinking that some kind of slow braising method is in order. Maybe a stew/ragu of some sort.

If any of you have favorite recipes to share, I would love to hear them.

I treat it much like I do octopus. First I dissect it into manageable portions, the internal ligaments and valves are removed and any fat you don't approve of. Then it is poached in a pot of water and some seasoning, but not till it is done. Then I use some sort of oil coating, or you could use pam. I am using bacon fat. It now goes on the gas grill, for a slow grilling. Now realize, it is a very iron rich organ and very high in some of the the necessary vitamins. To me this is a good thing, but then again I like watching Andrew Zimmern[sp.?] Cook the heart only as long as you want to. Over cooking a heart is not a good idea. By the way, the flavor of heart varies with the quality of the animal.

Any one who is a fan of the "Coney Island" hot dogs in Michigan knows how difficult it is to reproduce the flavor at home. I've seen people put everything in it from tomato sauce to ground up hot dogs, neither of which belong in there.

A little known fact is that it's made from beef heart, thus its distinctive flavor. So if I had a beef heart, I'd try to reproduce the Coney sauce.

Ingredients list (off the 5# commercial brick from National):
Beef heart meat, beef suet, water, cracker meal, wheat flour, textured vegetable protein (soy flour, caramel coloring), spices, salt, flavorings, paprika.

MICHIGAN HOT DOG SAUCE
2 lbs. beef heart, ground
3 tbsp. mustard sauce*
2 tbsp. salt
3 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 c. chopped onions
3 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. crushed pepper
1 lg. can tomato paste
1 lg. can tomato puree
2 c. water

Blend all ingredients. Simmer for 3 hours.
Serve on hot dogs

*Mustard Sauce
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1/3 cup catsup

Combine all ingredients in small saucepan. Heat on medium; stir, heat until butter & sugar melts.

I cut out the silver skin(tough crap), rub worchest on with some s&p and garlic and smoked at 225 until internal temp was about 200 and the temp probe went in like going into butter. was tender and juicy and tasted great. great beef flavor, just a different texture, like all organ meats i suppose.

what worked for me anyway. wife and kids liked it. is great in tortilla wraps.

Back
Top Bottom