ISO Beef Heart Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
So... I am the proud owner of 2 lbs of beef heart. It was from a local farm and dirt cheap. Great!

Now what to do with it? :ermm:

I've never cooked beef heart before. Being pure muscle, and with very little fat, I'm thinking that some kind of slow braising method is in order. Maybe a stew/ragu of some sort.

If any of you have favorite recipes to share, I would love to hear them.

I cook it like roast...put slivers of garlic in it...there was a thread last winter on how to cook heart...someone BBQ'd it with great results...or I boil it with bay and garlic. I love beef heart. The DH does not eat any type of organ meat.

I havn't had it since I was a kid, Steve. I remember Dad marinated sliced beef heart in buttermilk, and then pounded it, and breaded it, and cooked it like chicken fried steak. Pretty durn good as I remember.

I've never had it, but my mother use to describe a dish my great-grandmother made where she stuffed the heart with a bread stuffing and braised it in the oven. She said it was super tender and very flavorful. Of course, she doesn't have a recipe. :glare:

Had it quite often when I was a kid. I think Mom used her pressure cooker to get it tender. One year, when I was a teenager, I decided to try a recipe for stuffed heart. It was impossible to eat. It was SO tough. So, my recommendation is to look for a pressure cooker recipe.

Now you have me wondering if Mom made it in the pressure cooker. I just remember I loved it!

If it is a whole one you can stuff it with a bread stuffing and then pot roast it low and slow.

Use the drippings to make plenty of gravy for the stuffing and mashed potatoes!

I havn't had it since I was a kid, Steve. I remember Dad marinated sliced beef heart in buttermilk, and then pounded it, and breaded it, and cooked it like chicken fried steak. Pretty durn good as I remember.

Indeed. One of my fave preparations for it.

Heart is strong, both in flavor and texture. A hearty stew is always an option, served over rice, or with some crusty bread. IF you have a good beef bourguignon recipe, just roll with that but use the heart.

...IF you have a good beef bourguignon recipe, just roll with that but use the heart.
This is vaguely what I have in mind. I love a good stew this time of year. So I'm thinking a little bacon, a little vino, a few herbs, and just oven braise it until near tender before tossing in some mushrooms, carrots, and potatoes to round out the dish.

We'll see how it works. :chef:

Well, the stew is in the oven. I used Ina Garten's Beef Bourguignon recipe, but replaced the cubed chuck with 3/4" chunks of beef heart. I also intentionally left out the veggies until the meat was somewhat tender. I initially thought it might take a couple of hours to reach that point but, in reality, it was only a little over an hour before it was tooth tender. No gamey flavor whatsoever. In fact, the flavor is not all that different from pot roast. A little stronger maybe.

I just added the veggies - carrots, fingerling potatoes, pearl onions, garlic, and whole baby mushrooms - and popped it back in the oven. I have to say, it really smells fantastic.

At first I thought this dish wouldn't be for the faint of heart (yeah, pun intended), but there is nothing scary about it in the least. Best of all, it was a real economical cut of meat at just over $1/lb. Definitely on my list to make again sometime.

Last edited:
Oh, Well.............. late as usual.............

BEEF HEART AND MUSHROOMS
1-2 lb. boiled heart (thin sliced)
3/4 c. flour
Salt & pepper
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 tsp. thyme
1 tbsp. vinegar
1/2 c. water
1 lb. fresh mushrooms
Brown meat in oil. Shake meat slices in bag with flour, salt and pepper. Put meat in pan.
Add garlic, thyme, vinegar and 1/2 cup water. Simmer, stirring often. Cover. Add water
as needed. Cook until tender. Add mushrooms in the last 15 minutes. Serve over cooked
rice, toast, potatoes or noodles.

HUNGARIAN GOULASH WITH LITTLE DUMPLINGS
2 tbsp. lard or shortening
2 med. onions, coarsely chopped
2 1/2 lbs. beef chuck or round, cut
into 3/4" cubes
1/2 lb. beef heart, cut into 3/4"
cubes
1 garlic clove
1/4 tsp. caraway seeds
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. imported sweet Hungarian
paprika
2 1/2 qts. water
1 med. tomato, peeled & diced
2 green or Italian frying peppers,
cored & sliced
3-4 med. all purpose potatoes, peeled
& diced
Salt
1 egg
3 tbsp. flour
1. In a large covered casserole or Dutch oven. Melt the lard over moderate heat. Add
the onions and cook until transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the meats and continue
cooking until all traces of pink have disappeared, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
Remove from the heat and set aside. 2. Using the flat side of a heavy knife, crush the
garlic. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and grind with the caraway seeds and salt until the
mixture forms a thick paste. Add to the meat and stir in the paprika. Set the pot over
moderate heat, add the water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to moderately low
and cook until the soup has thickened, about 1 hour. 3. Add the tomato, peppers and
potatoes to the meat mixture, season with about 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste and continue
cooking until the potatoes are tender, about 30 more minutes. Add water if necessary to
obtain the consistency of hearty soup. 4. To make the dumplings, combine the egg,
flour and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Mix with a fork until a soft dough forms. Just
before serving, spoon the mixture into the boiling soup 1/4 teaspoon at a time. Cook for
2 to 3 minutes, then ladle into warmed bowls. Serve immediately.
Serves 8

HEART STEW
1 1/2 lb. pork or beef hearts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 onions, diced
1/2 tsp. salt
1 bay leaf
1 carrot, diced
1 or 2 potatoes, diced
Place meat in pot. Add enough water to cover about 2-inches above
the meat. Add diced onions, salt and bay leaf. Simmer for 2 to 2
1/2 hours. If water cooks down, add hot water. The last 30 minutes
add diced carrot and diced potatoes.

Last edited:
Another one of those things that we don't eat in NA--eggplant, heart, tongue, need I go on? Let us know what you think of it--I love heart...

And small FRESH from the garden w/out seeds (re: eggplant). (You didn't think I'd miss that reference to FRESH did you <g>). It is the seeds that make it bitter--not the skin.

Last edited:
Here is the finished dish:

img_1077339_0_bb11ea033590ce95ea26668594929ec2.jpg

Luckytrim, I have to say that those recipes you posted sound delicious!

Last edited:
Now I want to go to the butcher down the road and order heart...most people who have their steers butchered don't ask for the heart...don't know why, it is delicious! I find it has a really "beefy" taste....my DH doesn't like it, but the dogs and I do!

Back
Top Bottom