ISO - Beef Steak Pie Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rubyydd

Assistant Cook
I was hoping someone could share some beef steak pie recipes with me? Or just give me some general rules for making pies i.e, liquids, cooking time, pastry type, ect, so I could just improvise :)
It'll be my first attempt at making a pie.
Thank you

I'm not a baker but my family love my beef and onion pie.

It's easy and pretty much idiot poof lol!

Beef and Onion Pie alla Snip

1 lbs of beef round (cubed)
2 onions sliced
1 packet of brown onion soup powder
1 tsp od curry paste or powder
1 tomato finely chopped
1 carrot finely diced
salt and black pepper to taste
olive oil for browning
2 cups of water
Juice of one lemon
Puff pastry to top

Layer onions and meat in a ovenproof dish. Season lightly with salt and pepper (soup mix is salty so do not add a lot of salt) Drizzle with a splash of olive oil. Place under your oven's grill or broiler until brown, turn and brown the other side. Now add the carrots and chopped tomato. Mix curry with 1 cup of water and pour over. Cook at 350F for about 40 mins. Mix the soup powder with the other cup of water and mix well into meat and onion mix. Place in the oven again for 30 mins or till it's thickened. Add the lemon juice. Add a bit more water if needed.
Taste and add more salt if you wish. Top with puff pastry and bake till golden on top.

Last edited:
good question Rubyydd. I was just looking in the freezer to decide what to thaw for dinner. I have one package beef stew meat cut up. I left it because I want to make something other than stew or soup, which is about all I know how to make. Well, kebabs would work too. So it will be interesting to see what ideas are offered.

Snip's beef and onion curry pie looks good.

good question Rubyydd. I was just looking in the freezer to decide what to thaw for dinner. I have one package beef stew meat cut up. I left it because I want to make something other than stew or soup, which is about all I know how to make. Well, kebabs would work too. So it will be interesting to see what ideas are offered.

Snip's beef and onion curry pie looks good.

Thank you whisk :) It's super easy too!

Thank you :) I bought the pastry, I didn't want to risk messing up my valentines day dinner! Haha.

I read somewhere that you can incorporate cheese into the pastry by, a base layer of pastry, a layer of cheese then the filling & a top layer of pastry.. Do you think that would make it taste/ feel as if there were too much pastry?

Wow I said pastry a lot of times!

Thank you :) I bought the pastry, I didn't want to risk messing up my valentines day dinner! Haha.

I read somewhere that you can incorporate cheese into the pastry by, a base layer of pastry, a layer of cheese then the filling & a top layer of pastry.. Do you think that would make it taste/ feel as if there were too much pastry?

You're making it for Valentine's? I feel the pressure now :LOL: Luckily my pie recipe is easy so I'm sure you'll be fine. If your beef is tough cook for longer. Make sure your beef is tender before putting the pastry on.
If you roll the pastry thinner after adding cheese between the layers it will be fine but I wouldn't suggest cheese in this recipe. Perhaps try it when making a filling that goes better with cheese.
Good luck, not that you'll need it!

P.S Since it's for valentines, why don't you dish the cooked pie filling into single portion oven dishes and then top with pastry and bake? It will improve the presentation without much extra work. Also remember that pastry shrinks when baking so overlap the pastry a bit to make sure you don't end up with pastry that is smaller than the pies.
Also make a small hole in the middle to allow steam to escape when baking.

I love the sound of this :)

I'm not a baker but my family love my beef and onion pie.

It's easy and pretty much idiot poof lol!

Beef and Onion Pie alla Snip

1 lbs of beef round (cubed)
2 onions sliced
1 packet of brown onion soup powder
1 tsp od curry paste or powder
1 tomato finely chopped
1 carrot finely diced
salt and black pepper to taste
olive oil for browning
2 cups of water
Juice of one lemon
Puff pastry to top

Layer onions and meat in a ovenproof dish. Season lightly with salt and pepper (soup mix is salty so do not add a lot of salt) Drizzle with a splash of olive oil. Place under your oven's grill or broiler until brown, turn and brown the other side. Now add the carrots and chopped tomato. Mix curry with 1 cup of water and pour over. Cook at 350F for about 40 mins. Mix the soup powder with the other cup of water and mix well into meat and onion mix. Place in the oven again for 30 mins or till it's thickened. Add the lemon juice. Add a bit more water if needed.
Taste and add more salt if you wish. Top with puff pastry and bake till golden on top.

I did make separate portions :) I ended up improvising & it turned into a pepper steak & onion pie :)
It was soo yummy! Definitely a hit

Hey

Awesome idea! Buy puff pastry, make a thin layer of Parmesan (pecorino, manchego etc) and fold it over and roll it out again. No stress. Parmesan pastry topped pie! You could do the same thing with rosemary in a lamb pie, blue cheese with chicken and leek... Sky's the limit! It'd definitely work and it's be really easy, just make sure you work quick and keep everything nice and cold and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom