ISO help/tips making meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mixing milk with the bread is an important step you are missing. According to Cooks' Illustrated, the resulting mixture (panade) acts, with the egg, as a binder to give the meatloaf structure. It might seem counter-intuitive to add liquid when your results so far seem underdone, but it works :)

I use Betty Crocker's meatloaf recipe, with the exception of replacing 1/2 ground beef with 1/2 pound ground pork. Do allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting. Delicious every time.

Last edited:
I make my meatloaf with whatever I happen to have on hand. It usually turns out pretty good, but this time of year I like to make little meat loaf patties and cook them on the grill. They always turn out wonderful. You can still serve them along side of mashed potatoes or whatever, but they are so good, and it doesn't heat up the house. Just a thought for something different. :)

Italian Meatloaf

Buonasera,

Welcome to D.C.

There is an extensive Meatloaf Thread in the Beef Section ... Do a Search... Has alot of great recipes on it ...

My recipe is strictly Italian, and that is off top of mind,

1/ 2 pound pork ground
1/2 pound beef ground
fresh onion minced
minced pancetta
fresh garlic minced
salt and freshly ground pepper
Italian home made bread crumbs made from day old Italian Bread or Panko
1 egg beaten to combine
fresh seeded and de-skinned tomatoes
parsley
oregano
basil
thyme
salt to taste
Aged and Grated Reggiano Parmigiano
Tomato Paste - 1 tblsp.
a pinch of sugar

Have a lovely summer,
Ciao,
Margi.

Last edited:
Margi Cintrano said:
Buonasera,

Welcome to D.C.

There is an extensive Meatloaf Thread in the Beef Section ... Do a Search... Has alot of great recipes on it ...

My recipe is strictly Italian, and that is off top of mind,

1/ 2 pound pork ground
1/2 pound beef ground
fresh onion minced
minced pancetta
fresh garlic minced
salt and freshly ground pepper
Italian home made bread crumbs made from day old Italian Bread or Panko
1 egg beaten to combine
fresh seeded and de-skinned tomatoes
parsley
oregano
basil
thyme
salt to taste
Aged and Grated Reggiano Parmigiano
Tomato Paste - 1 tblsp.
a pinch of sugar

Have a lovely summer,
Ciao,
Margi.

This sounds good, and I may need to try it, but the original poster said she was fussy and only liked ground beef. Would this be ok without the ground pork?

I'm with chopper, I make meatloaf with whatever is on hand. However, for the meat part, I do add oats or saltine crackers, and about 1/4 c powdered milk...egg, a bit of water, herbs. Maybe if you add a bit of powdered milk to your meat mixture it would help? I am not a meatloaf fan, but I haven't made a meatloaf yet that others haven't raved about...I will say, I do like cabbage roll meatloaf...thought I posted the ingredients, but I can't find the post. I can post if you're interested.

No, I'm sure its au fat. So, can you slice your meatloaf with out it falling apart?

My meatloaf comes out just fine, and no problem at all slicing it. Nor does it fall apart. Any recipe that has problems with either of these has a problem with proportions or ingredient selections.

I don't understand where all your fat is coming from. Of course there's only one ingredient that has any fat, so perhaps you're using a ground beef that is too fatty. My advice is use a lower fat content ground beef.

IMO fattier ground beef is tastier. I do pour off the fat. Once in the middle of baking and again at the end.

IMO fattier ground beef is tastier. I do pour off the fat. Once in the middle of baking and again at the end.

If fattier ground beef is tastier and you're pouring off the fat, just how is that fattier than leaner ground beef with no fat poured off?

And also, when we cook steaks and roasts we know to let the meat rest perhaps 15 minutes before carving, so the meat can reabsorb the juices. Why does that not apply to meatloaf?

I'm not doing it intentionally but I probably wait 15 minutes before carving my meatloaf. It usually takes me that long to get the rest of the menu items together.

Last edited:
The beef in the fattier hamburger is cooked in that fat. Once it is cooked, the fat has done it's job and is no longer necessary for flavoring. I don't bother resting, 'cause I'm hungry.

Zhizara said:
The beef in the fattier hamburger is cooked in that fat. Once it is cooked, the fat has done it's job and is no longer necessary for flavoring. I don't bother resting, 'cause I'm hungry.

Using what I have on hand includes the meat. If it is somewhat fatty, I pour it off in the middle and end too. And I agree about the resting thing-when it comes out of the oven it gets served.

Buon Giorno Chopper,

Of course, one can use 100% beef or veal verses a blend of ground meat. I use the pork, to provide more flavor. However, it is equally as tasty without ... I make it with veal in Italia and pork and in Spain, with beef and pork. Though I have made it with just beef for friends who do not eat pork ...

Have great wkend.
Ciao, Margaux.

Last edited:
I add 2 crushed weetbix and 2 eggs to my meatloaf mix and it never falls apart. I also like placing strips of streaky bacon over the top when it's halfway done, it protects the outside from over browning and you have crispy bacon as a bonus!

Back
Top Bottom