ISO help/tips making meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannon77

Assistant Cook
I really could use helpful tips.. I have been trying to cook meatloaf for over a year. I have tried all different types of bread crumbs, flakes and bread however my meatloaf still comes out soggy and wet. I just like to use ground beef. I tried using more bread crumbs and it still comes out soggy in the middle, the outside is browned but the middle is as if it's not done.. I have even tried increase cooking times to 2 hours once and still burnt on outside not inside.. Please HELP!!!!

I know that when I make meatloaf, it is important to let it sit for about 10-15 mins after taking it out of the oven. That allows it to firm up more. If I cut it before then, the interior is really soft and falls apart easily. I've used the Italian bead crumbs and oatmeal. Be sure your mix is not too soggy to begin with. It should be like a moist hamburger. If you cannot make a pattie that holds together, you have too much liquid. If you post your recipe, we can tweak it better too.

Thanks for you quick reply..
Here's my recipe.. Please don't laugh.. lol I'm really picky..

1 pound ground beef
1 egg
1/2 cup and 4 tablespoons (bread crumbs)
1/4 ketchup (meat mixture)
half packet of lipton soup
350 degrees uncovered for an hour..

I used an meatloaf pan.

I use oats in my meatloaf, either quick cook or regular works. Your recipe seems pretty standard, wonder if you could elevate it on a rack in the meatloaf pan, or drain it after it rests. Or maybe just do a mound of the meat mixture on a small flat pan with edges, a bit more free form.

Last edited:
Thanks for you quick reply..
Here's my recipe.. Please don't laugh.. lol I'm really picky..

1 pound ground beef
1 egg
1/2 cup and 4 tablespoons (bread crumbs)
1/4 ketchup (meat mixture)
half packet of lipton soup
350 degrees uncovered for an hour..

I used an meatloaf pan.

Use the meatloaf pan to shape the meatloaf then dump the shaped meatloaf out onto a cookie sheet with a rack. Any fat and other liquids will cook off and run down into the pan under the rack.

Also, consider using an instant read thermometer to monitor the internal temperature of the loaf. Then you'll know for sure when it's done. Use an oven thermometer to verify the temp of the oven.

Although some fat is good in a meatloaf, you may consider using a leaner blend.

There is not much I can add to jabbur and dawgluver's suggestions. I showed this thread to Mrs Hoot and she said you might need to mix it by hand more to make sure everything is blended well. We use the free form method. Perhaps the meatloaf pan is trapping moisture that might otherwise drain away. Your recipe is much like the one we use with the exception of the soup mix. We add some diced onion to ours.

Thanks guys.. But how and why would the fat at the bottom of the meatloaf effect the inside of the meatloaf? And I use the lowest fat percentage ground beef I can find.

Not sure. Maybe try the free-form method or Andy's form and dump method. It might be the pan. Does it have high sides?

Also, using oats instead of bread might suck up more of the liquid. Good luck!

We use a small roasting pan. We generally add some water to the bottom of the pan. Mrs Hoot makes an excellent gravy out of the drippings and water. Periodically, one will come to pieces, but, shucks, you gotta cut it up to eat it.

My "secret" (not a secret any more) is to take 2-3 slices of whole wheat bread and cube them, then soak in milk, then squeeze out the milk and use the soaked bread in your recipe instead of bread crumbs.

I always keep a jar ready in the sink with a funnel to drain off any fat. I don't want it sitting in fat.

We use a small roasting pan. We generally add some water to the bottom of the pan. Mrs Hoot makes an excellent gravy out of the drippings and water. Periodically, one will come to pieces, but, shucks, you gotta cut it up to eat it.
Hoot, may I be so bold as to ask, does the fragrant gravy making Mrs Hoot have a first name?:)

If you're gonna cook it in a pan, you've gotta dump the fat as it cooks. Otherwise it is boiling in its own fat and will be mush.

If you're gonna cook it in a pan, you've gotta dump the fat as it cooks. Otherwise it is boiling in its own fat and will be mush.
I've never done that, nor felt that my meatloaf tasted like it was "boiled in fat." Are you sure that isn't just au jus?

The advantage of free form meatloaf is a nice crust on all surfaces except the bottom because the liquids run off.

You are using a very standard recipe. In fact, I use the same one.

I cook mine in a loaf pan and never have soggy meatloaf.

So, I'm a bit stumpted...

Mix well but DO NOT overmix. Use a meat thermometer. remove the meatloaf from the greasy pan and let it rest on some paper towels for 10 min before you cut it.

Back
Top Bottom