ISO Hot Sauce for Hot Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billdolfski

Senior Cook
Hot dogs are pretty much the bottom of the barrel. Despite that, I enjoy a good all beef hotdog with onions, mustard and sauce.

That's the catch... I've had good sauce for them and I've made halfway decent sauce for them... but I certainly don't have a good recipe.

Anybody have one to share (besides substituting another meat sauce for one)?

A chili type deal that you'd get like at a stadium or something?

Don't know if that's too vague.

I sometimes put some jarred chrused hot peppers from a jar on my hot dog. They are chopped up hot cherry peppers in vinegar. The same kind of stuff you get on a submarime sandwich if you order it with "hots".

Is it something more than that?

The hot dog sauces that I have liked kind of like beanless chili. Well, I doubt most of them are beanless, they beans are just pureed more to add flavor and consistency as opposed to having whole beans it. Kinda spicy, prolly onions and peppers.

The reason I wouldn't use just chili is because though it is spicy and similar to what i'm asking for, I don't remember any of the sauces that I liked tasted heavily of cumin.

img_363986_0_b683bdc0367d0a30451b8520e99b77ba.jpg
img_363986_1_3db821b03bf9e3f444321024eab2d005.jpg

Sorry, I misread your post. I was reading chiles and you meant (and said) chili.

I'd be willing to bet that most ball parks that sell chili dogs do not make their own chili. They open a can of chili and lay it on the dog.

If you cannot get them to tell you the brand they use, experiment off the supermarket shelf.

The stuff on the right is supposedly a good, authentic reputable brand and you can order it online.

Unfortunately, the minimum order is 6 1.5lb bags for around $45. Don't know if shipping is included or not. Granted, they are freezable and would keep a while... I just have little desire to have that much hotdog. Finding a decent canned sauce somewhere like you said and experimenting from there would probably be the best idea.

Billdolfski said:
The hot dog sauces that I have liked kind of like beanless chili. Well, I doubt most of them are beanless, they beans are just pureed more to add flavor and consistency as opposed to having whole beans it. Kinda spicy, prolly onions and peppers.

The reason I wouldn't use just chili is because though it is spicy and similar to what i'm asking for, I don't remember any of the sauces that I liked tasted heavily of cumin.
Billdolfski, I make my own hot chilli sauce. It is a bit sweetish though. It has hot chilli, red peppers, vinegar and sugar and a bit of cornstarch to thicken.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom