"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 04-19-2007, 03:30 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Some new recipes for sausages please

I am in desperate need of a new idea (and simple) for some beef sausages that I have. I am sooo sick of barbeque sausages or grillled sausage with tomato/egg/chips. What can I do?

Old 04-19-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
Head Chef

(1) You can cut them into cubes and serve them in Fettuccini Pasta. (2) You can skin them and mash with the basics for stuffed green bell peppers. (3) Also you can roll them in a cabbage leaf with a slice of colby cheese and make cabbage rolls with a tomato based sauce. (4) Serve in a hot flour tortilla with pepper jack cheese and refried beans. (5) You can put some in the classic green bean casserole.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
cook them 1`st, then allow to cool and then cut them up into sections about 3cms long (or 4 peices for the average sausage).

in a saucepan or even a pot, add a little oil (or even the beef fat that came off the sausage) then coursly chop up a large onion a glove of garlic a red bell pepper and some Celery.
fry these for a little bit and then add some V8 (or even just tomato juice) enough to cover the veg, allow to simer for about 20 mins then add the sausage, simmer another 20 mins, add salt and chili sauce to taste Liquid Smoke is great too. then let it cool.
the point here is that as it cools the sausage absorbs the flavors things contract as they cool and so suck up plenty juice like a sponge.
it`s Important to do the salt after it cooks and not before as plenty salt can be in the sausage too and you don`t want to spoil it.

then whenever you`re hungry and ready to eat, put some rice on and turn your sausages on low to re-heat, serve them together.

This is exactly what I`m having tonight also :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
Head Chef

Well, it is not a novel idea, but toad in the hole? Or instead of your usul tomato/egg/chips combo some other veg, mash and an onion gravy, neither idea is new but they are both fairly unbeatablle!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Sous Chef

When I want a sausage fix, this is what I do!! It's delicious

ROAST SAUSAGE WITH ONIONS, PEPPER & POTATOES

Bell Peppers - green, red, yellow - whatever you prefer to use - cored, seeded and cut into nice chunks.
Potatoes, scrubbed & cubed into large chunks.
Large onions, of any variety, peeled and chunked.
Salt & Pepper, Olive oil
Sausage - Italian is the primary choice but this is wonderful with Kielbasa, Bratwurst, Chorizo, Andouille, whatever you can get a lot of for a little.

Combine all cut vegetables in a large foil roasting pan and drizzle with a goodly amount of olive oil, season with salt & pepper.
I add some crushed red pepper, a little Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano and mix well.
Cover with foil and bake in a 350°F oven for about an hour.

While the veggies cook, parboil your sausage in a little water in a covered pan for 15 to 20 minutes.
When veggies are starting to get nice and soft, cut the sausage into nice size pieces and add to the roasting pan.

Cover and bake 3/4 to 1 hour, then uncover & roast under the broiler, stirring occasionally, till the sausage is browning nicely and the veggies start to show signs of browning.
Serve with grated cheese, bread and a salad, or a raw vegetable antipasto, or soup, or anything.
Description:
"Amounts are irrelevant - this is ultra simple and delicious."
Old 04-19-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Head Chef

Break them open and scoop out the meat and use it to make a risotto.

Make hot stock. Fry an onion till soft, add sausage meat and break up a bit in the pan as it fries. Stir in your risotto rice and gently fry in the juices for a minute or so. Swish in a bit of white wine or vermouth and then make your risotto as normal. Towards the end, stir in some saffron to give it a good colour. Serve with generous amount of freshly grated parmesan.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
We like sausage with sauerkraut and potatoes all cooked together, the longer the kraut cooks the better it is. I usualy cook it (kraut) for a while before I had anything else. Add a little Caraway seeds too. Yum !
Old 04-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I have a great Provencal recipe for Sausages baked with chicken, ripe olives and chunks of potato...
Old 04-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
I have a great Provencal recipe for Sausages baked with chicken, ripe olives and chunks of potato...
Now that sounds fantastic..Care to share?

kadesma
Old 04-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

We like to make pasta sauce as we usually do only to make it a little different, we will slice and brown some mild italian sauge and add it to the basic pasta sauce put over penne or even polenta it's rather rustic and rough but makes it a hearty meal..For me though there has to be a lot of dried mushrooms rehydrated and chopped fine added to the sauce as well as the mushroom broth....

kadesma

Tags
None