"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 02-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Meatballs (Polpetti)

3 Tb Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, minced
3 Garlic, minced
1 Lb Ground Beef
1 Lb Ground Veal
1/2 Lb Ground Pork
1 1/4 C Bread Crumbs
3/4 C Pecorino Romano, grated
2 Tb Italian parsley, chopped
TT S&P
3 Eggs

Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine the three meats, bread crumbs, cheese, the cooled onion and garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and eggs.

Shape the mixture into balls approximately the size of a large egg. You should end up with 24 meatballs.

Brown the meatballs in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

After browning, add the meatballs to your tomato sauce and simmer for a couple of hours, stirring occasionally.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
We make our meatballs/polpetti pretty much like Pds, however we like a 1/2 - 1/2 mixture of beef and pork.

Also adding a pinch of either nutmeg or powdered ginger will give them a zesty twist.

For condiments, not too sweet cranberry comport (not to be confused by the jellied one... with real morsels of cranberries) are our current favourite,

also a swedish style white sauce, sour cream based with finely sliced havarti cheese melted in, topped with chopped chives and pepper, are delicious.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Wanted to ask if anyone had a tried and true Swedish Meatball recipe. TIA

I use to buy a mix, yes a mix, that was excellent! It came with seasoning for the meatballs and the sauce. Years ago it was under $1.00, now it's ridiculously expensive. Nutmeg added to the beef, always gives it an interesting flavor. My taste buds tell me, round up the usual suspects, beef, eggs, crumbs, seasonings, but the flavoring(s) may include soaked white bread, paprika, nutmeg, and parsley - in a white nutmeg? sauce- no cheese.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:13 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I got the idea for our swedish style sauce from this page. This will give you a good idea for making swedish meatballs.... Well we never had heard of "gjetost" cheese before, and were sure it would have been nowhere to be found here in Rome, we substituted it with havarti, but it turned out delicious all the same. Well, we chose havarti, being a danish cheese and though it was close enough for a swedish recipe, but I believe gouda, edam or fontina can be used as well. Also an addition of chopped chives are nice, too.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne
This probably isn't quite what you're looking for but I love these meatballs! This is an old family recipe.

Meatballs in Sour Cream

1 pound ground beef
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 egg
1/4 cup onion chopped
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon A-1 Steak Sauce
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
SAUCE
1 pound tomatoes, canned
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream
Rice or noodles cooked

Instructions: Mix meatball ingredients (1st 9 ingredients) & form into balls. Cook in covered pan in 2 Tbsp butter.

Drain 1/2 cup liquid from tomatoes & combine with flour until smooth. Set aside.

When meatballs are cooked, add tomatoes to skillet. Cover & simmer 20 minutes.

Remove meatballs. Gradually add flour mixture & stir until thickened. Cook 2 additional minutes.

Reduce heat to very low. Stir in sour cream & heat to serving temperature.

Serve meatballs & sauce over hot rice or noodles.
Okay this sounds AMAZING and i need to clarify a few things please...

you said cook meatballs in covered pan..what kind of a pan? Can i use my big sauce pot thati make my sunday sauce in?

Also you say cook meatballsin butter... how do you cook them? Do you just put them in there or do you put them in there and roll them around every few seconds?

Normally howmany meatballs does the pound of meat make, in your specific version of this dish?

How can you tell when the meatballs are done?

Thanks so much....
Old 02-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
Okay this sounds AMAZING and i need to clarify a few things please...

you said cook meatballs in covered pan..what kind of a pan? Can i use my big sauce pot thati make my sunday sauce in?
I use a large frying pan. I roll them around while they are cooking. They don't stay real round, tho', but that's OK. They're done when all sides are nicely browned. Oh gosh - I don't really know how many meatballs this makes. I don't think I ever counted! It would make 4 servings, if that helps. Make the meatballs around golfball sized. If I had to guess I would say it makes 18 to 24.

I should have looked at this recipe a little closer before I sent it. I didn't realize how vague some of the instructions were. I have some recipes from this same aunt where the amount of some ingredients isn't even listed!

One thing I should add. The sauce is very good but it never seems like there's enough of it. You might want to double the sauce if you like your noodles well coated.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:13 PM   #17
Head Chef

Alll the recipes sound great.

Agree with Andy M that they should combine another meat with the beef.

Will use ground pork alone, but prefer to also add ground veal if we can get it.

And the grated Parmesan, freshly grated, is a key.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:00 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne
I use a large frying pan. I roll them around while they are cooking. They don't stay real round, tho', but that's OK. They're done when all sides are nicely browned. Oh gosh - I don't really know how many meatballs this makes. I don't think I ever counted! It would make 4 servings, if that helps. Make the meatballs around golfball sized. If I had to guess I would say it makes 18 to 24.

I should have looked at this recipe a little closer before I sent it. I didn't realize how vague some of the instructions were. I have some recipes from this same aunt where the amount of some ingredients isn't even listed!

One thing I should add. The sauce is very good but it never seems like there's enough of it. You might want to double the sauce if you like your noodles well coated.
What are soft bread crumbs?

What temperature do you use on the stove? My stove goes from 1-10

Also, if you had to guess, around how long do the meatballs take to cook? What like 5 minutes or so? 7 minutes? Just a guess, so i have a frame of reference

Sorry for all the questions but i want to cook this for dinner tonight.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
My recipe is a lot like buckytom's. I think the key is lots of milk mixed in and plenty of Parmesan cheese and herbs/spices for flavoring. I make my meatballs about the size of a softball - I start them out in a skillet browning on all sides then finishing off in the oven. Make a nice rich red sauce (plenty of red wine in it) and place meatballs in sauce and heat for awhile to flavor the sauce. You can serve with our without pasta.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:25 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
this is what you need:
Hamburger
bread crumbs
2 eggs
onions finely chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
wostershire sauce, oh about 1 tbs.
garlic powder i never measure this not sure
salt pepper

WHAT TO DO:
MIX ALL THE INGREDIENTS TOGETHER
form balls place on baking sheet
bake in about 375 degree oven for anout 30-45 minutes.

Tags
None