ISO your best homemade meatball recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My family and I have made these on many occassions, too numerous to count. Out of our annual community cookbook, here is our meatball recipe:

3 punds ground beef
2 cups oatmeal
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt
2 eggs
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix well all the above. Shape into balls, about an inch and a half, and place in sprayed caserole dish in single layer.

Sauce:
2 cups ketchup
1 tsp liquid smoke
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar

Combine and cook on stove until sugar is dissolved. Pour over meatballs and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Bon Apetite!

Vegtaballs

I almost forgot about this one. No cows were injured in this recipe :LOL:

Vegtaballs with Tomato Basil Mayonnaise

2 cups broccoli or other greens, cooked until soft
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup plain fine bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
1flat-leaf parsley sprigs, finely chopped
1 tsp. rosemary and 1 tsp. sage
1 cup Olive oil

- - - - - - - - - - - -

TOMATO BASIL MAYONNAISE
3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
1 Tbsp. plain low-fat yogurt
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 Tbsp. oregano and 1/2 Tbsp. basil
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil

In a large bowl, mash broccoli. Add flour, bread crumbs, eggs, cheeses, walnuts, parsley and herbs. Mix until a dough with a sticky consistency is formed. Heat oil in a heavy saucepan or deep-fryer to 375F (190C). Form 1/4 cup of mixture into balls and add, in batches, to hot oil. Fry until golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with Tomato Basil Mayonnaise as an accompaniment.

Tomato Basil Mayonnaise
Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until pureed. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Makes 1 cup Makes 8 to 12 servings

mish said:
I almost forgot about this one. No cows were injured in this recipe :LOL:

Vegtaballs with Tomato Basil Mayonnaise

2 cups broccoli or other greens, cooked until soft
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup plain fine bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
1flat-leaf parsley sprigs, finely chopped
1 tsp. rosemary and 1 tsp. sage
1 cup Olive oil

- - - - - - - - - - - -

TOMATO BASIL MAYONNAISE
3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
1 Tbsp. plain low-fat yogurt
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 Tbsp. oregano and 1/2 Tbsp. basil
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil

In a large bowl, mash broccoli. Add flour, bread crumbs, eggs, cheeses, walnuts, parsley and herbs. Mix until a dough with a sticky consistency is formed. Heat oil in a heavy saucepan or deep-fryer to 375F (190C). Form 1/4 cup of mixture into balls and add, in batches, to hot oil. Fry until golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with Tomato Basil Mayonnaise as an accompaniment.

Tomato Basil Mayonnaise
Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until pureed. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Makes 1 cup Makes 8 to 12 servings

What an interesting recipe!! I must add this, next to falafels, to my variations of animal friendly yummy balls!!

urmaniac13 said:
What an interesting recipe!! I must add this, next to falafels, to my variations of animal friendly yummy balls!!)

Thank you, urmaniac. It is a very tasty, unique (imo) recipe. Nice for a party dish with party picks and the dipping sauce as well. The walnuts and veggies, really are a great combo with the sauce. Another idea is to serve it over pasta. Hadn't thought of falafel, great idea! Hope you enjoy :chef:

Last edited:
Corinne said:
I use a large frying pan. I roll them around while they are cooking. They don't stay real round, tho', but that's OK. They're done when all sides are nicely browned. Oh gosh - I don't really know how many meatballs this makes. I don't think I ever counted! It would make 4 servings, if that helps. Make the meatballs around golfball sized. If I had to guess I would say it makes 18 to 24.

I should have looked at this recipe a little closer before I sent it. I didn't realize how vague some of the instructions were. I have some recipes from this same aunt where the amount of some ingredients isn't even listed! :rolleyes:

One thing I should add. The sauce is very good but it never seems like there's enough of it. You might want to double the sauce if you like your noodles well coated.
Your recipe sounds great wish I saw it before I went to the store for
stuff for dinner tonight. I will try this for tomorrow night.

The meatball recipe I use with my pasta sauce is very similar to BuckyTom's, except that I don't add teh Paresan Cheese to the meatball mixture, prefering instead to dress the plated dish with freshly grated Parmesano Regiano.

I have another meatball recipe that goes wonderfully with a pineapple sweet and sour sauce. This recipe is taken from my cookbook "You Can Be A Great Cook With Poultry. Hope you like it.

Oriental Chicken Meatballs
There=s this great restaurant just down the road a bit from my home. They serve some fine food at this place. One of my wife=s favorite dishes served at this establishment is chicken meatballs. They are good. I=ve had them.

Well, to make a long story short, I had to try to make something similar at home. The results of my efforts (and this is according to my wife, folks) are chicken meat balls of superior quality to the ones found at the restaurant. These are especially good with pineapple sweet & sour sauce.
Ingredients:
1 large chicken breast
2 large chicken thighs
3 stalks celery
2 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. onion powder
1 medium egg, lightly beaten

Skin and remove the chicken from the bones and either mince in food‑processor, or run through a meat grinder. Mince the garlic and add with the onion powder to the meat. Finely chop the celery and add it to the chicken with the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
The trick to these meatballs is egg. Lacking sufficient fat to hold them together, the protein rich egg white coats each morsel of meat, acting like the fat in a hamburger. It binds them.

Shape into 1 inch meatballs and gently sauté until lightly browned on all sides. Serve with Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce, white rice and butter, and with steamed carrots. Arrange artistically on dark plates and serve.
Makes approximately 24 meatballs.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Yakuta said:
Here is how I make mine. It is probably not authentic since it has a lot of Indian flavors but I can vouch the taste. I don't think you will have to add them to any sauce, they will be gone just by themselves.

I made something like that two Super Bowls ago. I simmered them in a thick curry paste that stuck to the meatballs. They were very tastey.

. . . I wish I would have written it down.

Back
Top Bottom