"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Old 02-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Senior Cook
ISO your best homemade meatball recipe

recipe?? Thanks for your help!!!

Barbarainnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
These are our favorites.

1 lb hamburger or ground lamb
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 parsely
1 small onion, greated or chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

mix all ingredients together

shape in to balls

roll in flour

fry in good olive oil!!

ask for more

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne
This probably isn't quite what you're looking for but I love these meatballs! This is an old family recipe.

Meatballs in Sour Cream

1 pound ground beef
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 egg
1/4 cup onion chopped
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon A-1® Steak Sauce
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 pound tomatoes, canned
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream
Rice or noodles cooked

Instructions: Mix meatball ingredients (1st 9 ingredients) & form into balls. Cook in covered pan in 2 Tbsp butter.

Drain 1/2 cup liquid from tomatoes & combine with flour until smooth. Set aside.

When meatballs are cooked, add tomatoes to skillet. Cover & simmer 20 minutes.

Remove meatballs. Gradually add flour mixture & stir until thickened. Cook 2 additional minutes.

Reduce heat to very low. Stir in sour cream & heat to serving temperature.

Serve meatballs & sauce over hot rice or noodles.
I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
Head Chef
Corinne, I make mine like you do on the first 9 ingred. but I will try your tomato sauce, it really sounds good. Thanks
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
2 lbs ground beef
4 eggs
1-1/2 c bread crumbs
1/2 c romano cheese (or parm)
chopped garlic
salt and pepper
fresh parsley-chopped

I form my meatballs and cook them in my sauce for hours - yum!
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
Head Chef
Here is how I make mine. It is probably not authentic since it has a lot of Indian flavors but I can vouch the taste. I don't think you will have to add them to any sauce, they will be gone just by themselves.

2 pounds of lean ground beef
1 medium onion finely chopped (extremely fine)
1/2 cup of fresh cilantro finely chopped
1/4 cup of fresh mint finely chopped
2 tsp of freshly grated ginger
3 tsp of cumin seeds and 2 tsp of corrainder seeds toasted and powdered
1 small jalapeno finely chopped
2 eggs lightly beaten
salt to taste (1.5 tsp approx)
2 slices of white bread soaked in water and then squeezed and reserved (it will be a lump, break the lumps before adding to the ground beef)

Mix all the ingredients together and allow to marinate for 2-3 hours. Make small meatballs and place them on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 60 minutes or until they are nice and brown.

Serve with dipping sauce of your choice.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:53 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
my best italian american meatball recipe comes from a now retired co-worker's mom from sicily. he used to cater our christmas party every year from some local places, but one of the special things that he brought in was his mother's homemeade meaballs and sugo.
when he was retiring, the reigns of the party, as well as his mom's recipes were handed down to me to carry on the tradition, which i have faithfully kept for 7 or 8 years now.

i sat at his desk in a tiny chair as he crushed whole walnuts in one hand, as he sipped espresso in the other, his huge pinkie ringed finger extended. he said to me that his mama's meatballs were all done in trees, capeesh? i said, "no, trees?"

after slapping me upside the head, he explained that for every pound of 85% lean ground beef (you could use a mix of beef and pork too), you add 3 eggs (ok, i get it, 3), and then about 1/3rd of the volume of meat and eggs in seasoned breadcrumbs. the seasoning is a standard dry italian mix of basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme, savory, and rosemary. then you add about another 1/3rd of the volume of meat and eggs in finely grated parmesan cheese, and another 1/3rd of the volume in dried parsley. ok, again, threes. then you add a good splash, maybe a third of a cup of whole milk, and start to mix the ingredients by hand. if the mixture is too dry, add more milk. if too wet, more breadcrumbs. the hand will know.

ok, so that's it, but as all good italian cooks, i was expected to make a small change without telling anyone, and when they enjoyed it, you just tell them that it's your own family's recipe . so i add a tbsp or so of savory, and another of oregano, just to kick up the herb quotient. be careful not to overdo the oregano, tho.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:50 AM   #8
Assistant Cook
well I put a lot of fresh parm cheese, chopped garlic and spinach (canned and squeezed dry) in mine and I get raves.......My aunt started this to get her kids to eat more vegetables and I have made mine this way ever since. I use ground beef and don't like to mix it with pork or veal or anything else.
tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Curry Meatballs in Coconut Milk

1 lb ground meat loaf mix (turkey, veal, beef, etc), or just lean ground beef or turkey
2 eggs
1/4 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
salt to taste
1/2 tsp curry powder
black pepper to taste
1 lg onion, sliced
1 tbl veg. oil
14 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
14.5 oz can chicken broth (low sodium, low fat)
3/4 tsp curry powder
8 oz pkg frozen green beans & toasted almonds
3 cups instant rice

Mix together meat loaf mix, eggs, bread crumbs, salt, 1/2 tsp curry powder & black pepper. Shape into meatballs; set aside.

In skillet, saute onion in veg. oil 5 mins. Add coconut milk, broth & 3/4 tsp curry powder; bring to boil. Add meatballs, simmer, covered 15 mins, turning meatballs halfway thru cooking. Stir in frozen green beans & almonds, bring to boil. Stir in rice, cover; remove from heat & let stand 5 mins.

Greek Beef Meatballs

Makes 16 (2-ounce) meatballs
Serve them in their own juices or with your choice of marinara sauce, mushroom pan gravy, or even Cucumber Raita. Try serving these on a nest of warm orzo pasta with extra-virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.

1 pound lean ground beef
1/8 cup chopped fresh oregano, leaves only
1/8 cup chopped fresh mint, leaves only
1/2 cup finely minced parsley
3 cloves garlic, minced (11/2 teaspoons)
1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry, and chopped
2 tsp lemon pepper
2 tsp salt
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tsp lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350F. Mix the ground beef, oregano, mint, parsley, garlic, red peppers, lemon pepper, salt, feta cheese, and lemon juice together in a large bowl, blending in cheese until no large crumbles remain.

Using a 2-ounce scoop (1/8 cup) to measure, roll into 16 balls and place on a large baking pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the outside of the meatballs brown and the center is cooked through.

Italian Meatballs
Serving Size : 16
Meatballs can be served with a red sauce, eaten plain, or made marble size and added to soups.

1-1/2 pounds lean ground sirloin or chuck
3/4 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons fresh chopped Italian parsley
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil or 1 tablespoon dried
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons milk

In a large bowl, separate the meat with a fork and make a well. In another bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the cheese, parsley, basil, and garlic; set aside.

Beat the eggs with the milk and pour into the well. Using wet hands, knead the meat to absorb the liquid and mix in the double-seasoned breadcrumbs. Knead well, keeping your hands moist, until the meat is well mixed.

Scoop the meat out and then roll with your hands to form a nice ball, about golfball size. Place about 1 inch apart or less, on a non-stick baking pan and bake at 400 degrees until golden brown.

Cheesy Stuffed Meatballs
Serving Size : 4

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 egg
2 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 12 (1/2-in.) cubes
Pasta Sauce
8 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained

Combine ground beef, bread crumbs and egg; shape into 12 meatballs. Press 1 cheese cube into each meatball, enclosing completely. Bring pasta sauce to a boil over medium-high heat. Gently stir in uncooked meatballs.Reduce heat to low and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until meatballs are done. Serve over hot spaghetti.

Messy Meatballs

1 finely chopped yellow or red onion
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup broth or milk
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
spices (take your pick from allspice, nutmeg, black pepper, white pepper)

Soak the bread crumbs in the warm liquid (broth or milk) for 10 minutes. Then add it to the minced meat and mix in the egg and spices. Fry the onions and add it to the meat mixture. Refrigerate for about an hour.

Wet your hands and form small (smaller than a golf ball) balls. Resist the urge to start juggling. Saute (butter/margarine/oil) the balls for 5-10 minutes making sure to turn them frequently. Resist the urge to fry them all at once in the pan.

For a less messy meatball, instead of frying try baking the balls in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.

NOTES : Inspired by the Swedish Chef
Before any preparation you must sing the Swedish Chef Song. "Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue, Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!"
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
Sous Chef
My meatball recipe changes everytime I make it, depend on what I feel like and what I have on hand. Also depends on whether I change my mind halfway through making them and decide to turn the mixture into rissoles.

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote