"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Italian Meatball ingredients/ratio questions

I know this is a strange question coming from a vegetarian, but Im curious what you put in your meatballs, and approximate amounts.

I found a new product that I may be able to make " meatballs" with.

type of meat used is not really important to me , as the only option i have is the product that I am using. More importantly is how much and everything else that goes into the meatball.

Ive done a quick recipe search and have seen choice of meat, eggs, bread crumbs ( or bread moistened with milk), various dried spices, fresh garlic, fresh parsley , parmesan cheese.

Ive seen the fried method, baked method and the toss it in the sauce method ( first two methods usually wind up in the sauce.

Anyway, if you guys could give me an Idea of proportions, that would be great. I will take that info and attempt meatballs tonight to see if I come up with acceptable results.

I will be starting with 1 pound of ' meat ' so all ratios and measurements will be based off of that.

Thanks

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I know how I make them, but plan to experiment more in the future. I use two meats (beef and pork) in even amounts, I use bread crumbs and eggs as my binders. I use two eggs per pound of meet. I use typical Italian herbs and black pepper. Go easy on salt, it is easy to use too much. I don't use any in my mix. I either salt the meatballs before cooking, or salt my sauce, as needed.

CD

Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
Executive Chef

When I make that 'chewy' slice-able meatloaf, I use 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup finely chopped onions, 1 egg, per 1 lb of meat. If I use too much onion/or vegetable or too much liquid (tomato sauce or milk), the meat doesn't hold together well and can't be sliced. While meatloaf is not meat balls, I would use the same amount of onion and crumbs/oatmeal and egg per pound of meat.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
When I make that 'chewy' slice-able meatloaf, I use 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup finely chopped onions, 1 egg, per 1 lb of meat. If I use too much onion/or vegetable or too much liquid (tomato sauce or milk), the meat doesn't hold together well and can't be sliced. While meatloaf is not meat balls, I would use the same amount of onion and crumbs/oatmeal and egg per pound of meat.
If the meatballs work out, Meatloaf with be my next attempt.
Biggest problems with any kind of vegetarian/ vegan meat produces used for meatballs or meatloaf is the consistency . Always too mushy.

When I used to eat meat ( way back in the day), it was the meatballs, meatloaf, taco's , chili ... These are the things I miss ( not the steak or chicken, never liked them much). The veggie products available for taco, chili are not bad. But for anything that has to stick together ( like meatballs and meatloaf), not as successful. Im hoping tonights experiment will be a winner.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

This is my basic recipe for meatballs. I add other ingredients depending on the flavor profile I want. This is also a pretty thorough thread on how different people make their meatballs.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums....php?p=1376673

And a while back, I posted a couple of sites that list meatball recipes from around the world.

Meatballs, yummy meatballs
Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Larry, if you could find some successful 'bean burger' recipes, that don't turn to mush, you might be able to adapt them to meat-a-balls.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I'm thinking for veggie-balls, you would want to keep them small, so when you cook them, you get a good crust to "meat" ratio.

CD
Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm sorry I don't have exact amounts of the herbs and spices.

3 lbs. Ground Beef
2-3 Eggs
1/2 cup Bread Crumbs - or just enough to bind and hold shape
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup Grated Romano cheese

ALL HERBS AND SPICES (dry and fresh) to personal taste

Dry Herbs and spices:
Oregano
Granulated Garlic powder
Onion powder
Goya Adobo seasoning
Accent (or MSG) - optional
Ground Sea Salt
Ground peppercorn blend
Ground red pepper flakes
Cayenne
Hungarian Paprika (sweet, hot or both)
Rosemary
Thyme

Fresh herbs and spices:
Fresh garlic - minced fine or grated on microplane (I sometimes use Trader Joe's frozen garlic cubes)
Onion - minced fine
Fresh basil - chopped fine
Fresh oregano - chopped fine
Fresh parsley - chopped fine
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
Master Chef

I cook my meatballs in the sauce, in a covered roasting pan, in the oven at 350 for about an hour. Some people do them on the stove top by placing the raw meatballs into a pot of barely simmering sauce and letting them cook for about 30 minutes without stirring, just a gentle shake of the pan.

If you try to use another cooking method for these meatballs you will have a mess on your hands. These meatballs are too tender to stir until they have had a chance to set up in the sauce.

For every pound of lean ground beef or meatball mix add the following.

4 large eggs
1 cup commercial seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste

Some of the old timers added a handful of raisins to the mixture.

I portion the mixture with a 1.63oz number 20 yellow handled disher. Each pound of the meat and additions makes approx one dozen nice sized tender meatballs.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I know how I make them, but plan to experiment more in the future. I use two meats (beef and pork) in even amounts, I use bread crumbs and eggs as my binders. I use two eggs per pound of meet. I use typical Italian herbs and black pepper. Go easy on salt, it is easy to use too much. I don't use any in my mix. I either salt the meatballs before cooking, or salt my sauce, as needed.CD
I always am concerned about not enough salt.
I have found that not using enough, makes great meatballs just fair.
To me salt is very important in the meat mixture. Very important.
So important we tasted the raw meat mixture growing up.
Today I fry a little to see if there is enough salt. After all, we are checking for salt when we do this.

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
italian, meat