"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 02-22-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Making sausage

The sausages you can get here are not very good. They are bland.

I miss fresh Italian sausage and the Polish sausage we used to have in The States.

So...I want to make sausages. The meat grinders with sausage attachements are available here. Before buying one I want to do some research. Have any of you ever made your own sausage?

What was it like? Pros and cons?

Thanks.

Pam

Old 02-22-2005, 05:37 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

pam, there are several keys to making good italian sausage. firstly, don't use too much fillers like breadcrumbs. it detracts from the taste. second, don't grind the pork too fine. leave it somewhat chunky, with a good amount of white pork fat chunks included, upwards of 25 percent total volume. so much of the flavor will come from the pork fat. finally, make sure you add a good amount of fennel seed for sweet italian sausage, and don't be shy with the finely ground red pepper flakes when making hot italian sausage. it's supposed to be hot; don't be shy. also, use natural casing when possible.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:55 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I ran across a recipe for Italian sausage (no casing) that looked suspiciously simple. Having never made it, I always figured it was a complicated process and a wave of a magic wand. Guess I'm wrong?
Old 02-22-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
Head Chef

I've been gearing up to give sausage making a try. I've been getting a lot of info from this website:

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/

John
Old 02-22-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior Cook

ronjohn55, what a fabulous site! Every recipe I could ever want is there. I do have a recipe for Italian sausage somewhere in a cookbook. I used to make it but then do patties.

thank you all for your advice. when it happens I will report back.

Pam
Old 02-22-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Cool site, John! I'm glad I downloaded Adobe last Friday! I don't have the equipment to stuff casings but that's not a concern of mine right now. Thanks! :D
Old 02-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
Master Chef

Making sausage is fun. One of my friends had a sausage making party. She passed a sausage making book around ahead of time. Everyone picked out a recipe and then brought all the ingredients to the party. She provided all the casings and equipment.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

very cool site ronjohn, thanks! i guess the sausages i am used to are sicillian, neopolitan, and luganega. i'll have to ask the guys at the italian deli i frequent if they add coriander to their sausage.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:40 PM   #9
Cook

Hi Pam,,,sausage making,,,,it's a beautiful thing. I've been making sausage for a few years now and let me tell you, you can't buy stuff that taste this good in stores. My biggest piece of advice is get good equipment. Started with the hand meat grinder and tube thing and almost got discouraged. Then went to the electric grinder and tube and that wasn't much better either. After talking to butchers and meat people and invested in a water pressure piston and tube sausage maker. Water pressure pushes a piston inside a cylinder that pushes the meat out the tube into the casing. Best investment I ever made, so much simpler and easier. Spend a couple hundred bucks, it'll be the best thing you'll ever do, believe me,,,been there, done that.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:09 PM   #10
Master Chef

RonJon; Incredible site. Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None