"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2018, 12:46 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

That is a nice display of meat offerings, jd. Like others have said, though, I don't buy anything pre-made like that. I'm cheap, and I'll admit it. The idea of spending $8.99 a pound for green peppers or onions goes against my grain. Still, they sure look pretty.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:45 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Oh, yeah. the price was right. I could stuff myself with shrimp for less than five bucks.

It really wasn't political thing that shut it down. Anytime you have a good thing going, you are going to have sleezeballs take advantage of the situation. Some of those roadside vans were all about making a buck, and not about selling a quality product. Those people would say the shrimp was caught today, even if it was caught last week.

You live in Las Vegas, so you should know all about that. There are some really good places to eat in Vegas, but there are many more bad places to eat. I've had some amazing meals in Vegas, and my one and only experience with food poisoning was in Vegas.

CD
There are still trucks/vans here. I would think that those types would be self eradicating, putting themselves out of business pretty quickly. They shouldn't have caused the good ones to go out of business as most of these, at least the ones here, are word of mouth advertised.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Occasionally we luck out and can buy fish right off a boat in the local harbor. It doesn't get fresher than that, but that's rare.

Big commercial boats freeze their fish before it ever hits the market, so one way or another, you're buying fish that's been frozen. What I want to know in the market is how long it's been sitting in the case thawed.
"
<LI class=TrT0Xe>Look for firm, shiny flesh. ... <LI class=TrT0Xe>Sniff the fish. ... <LI class=TrT0Xe>Check the eyes. ... <LI class=TrT0Xe>Check the gills. "

In other words:-

*If the fish still has its skin it should be shiny and not shrunken or wrinkled. And if it isn't still wearing it just ask yourself why. There may be a good reason eg monk fish (angler fish - ugly and a bit un-nerving to look at when wearing its head and overcoat! Delicious though.)

*Does the fish smell of the sea? If the stall smells fishy - walk away.

*Bright eyes that seem to be looking at you. Dull or shrunken? Walk away.

*Bright red gills. Dull and faded? Walk away.

We are lucky in the British Isles as nowhere is more than 75 miles from the sea! We can get excellent fish but there are a few "cowboy" fishmongers.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

MC, although I know how to choose fish that hasn't been defrosted too long, it is not fresh fish if it's ever been frozen.

For that reason, I prefer to buy it frozen and not thawed, and that way I can cook it as soon as it's thawed.

By the way, I live 10 miles from the Pacific.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:28 PM   #15
Head Chef

We live close to the ocean, but after centuries of overfishing, there's not a lot of fresh catch landing on the docks. Some exceptions, though.

I can buy "ocean fresh" swordfish at the supermarket for $10 - $12 / lb. I can buy fresh swordfish at the local seafood store for $17 - $18 /lb. There is clearly a huge difference.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #16
Master Chef

Oh, how I missed real meat department.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:39 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
MC, although I know how to choose fish that hasn't been defrosted too long, it is not fresh fish if it's ever been frozen.

For that reason, I prefer to buy it frozen and not thawed, and that way I can cook it as soon as it's thawed.

By the way, I live 10 miles from the Pacific.
Living in Dallas, I know I can't buy "fresh" seafood, unless I want to spend a fortune. I am perfectly fine with frozen. Like you, I want to buy it still frozen, and thaw it out right before I cook it.

I buy frozen, wild caught Gulf shrimp all the time. I always buy it shell on. It is more work, but if the shrimp is pre-shelled, the texture isn't as good when cooked, IMO.

I am also able to buy fish filets that are vacuum packed and frozen. Those work out well, too. Again, I thaw them at the last minute. They thaw fast.

CD
Old 07-31-2018, 07:44 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Oh, how I missed real meat department.
I remember as a kid, we got most of our groceries at a big store that offered S&H Green Stamps (who remembers that), but we got our meat from a little meat market. Then, my mom overcooked it.

CD
Old 07-31-2018, 07:46 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I remember as a kid, we got most of our groceries at a big store that offered S&H Green Stamps (who remembers that), but we got our meat from a little meat market. Then, my mom overcooked it.

CD
I do! I do!
Old 07-31-2018, 07:52 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I do! I do!
Me too! Mom collected green stamps obsessively. Cutting them up and pasting them into the little books was my chore.

I know Mom redeemed them, but I can’t remember what for...

Tags
meat