Meat case at the local grocery store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember as a kid, we got most of our groceries at a big store that offered S&H Green Stamps (who remembers that), but we got our meat from a little meat market. Then, my mom overcooked it. :rolleyes:

CD
There's a S&H Green Stamps sign attached to a tree on one of my riding routes. I'm surprised the paint has held up this long.

Not only do I remember the S&H Green Stamps, I remember the product redemption store.

When I was a 20yr old and expecting my first child, my Mom took me there shopping for baby things like a stroller, crib, high chair, and so many other things I needed for the baby.
She had been saving her books of Green Stamps for years.

Last edited:
Except when you go to a rusty part of town for a particular kind of meat and they still have the 1950's style butcher display case, with some flies hanging around.

Of course casey, actually agree but still...

My bro was an MG fan I was a Morgan fan - til he told me their frames were wood - shot my dreams down pretty fast.
My first husband had a Royal Enfield which would never start in the rain. He figured anything that would start in the rain was kept in England - all others were shipped overseas. LOL!

Of course casey, actually agree but still...

My bro was an MG fan I was a Morgan fan - til he told me their frames were wood - shot my dreams down pretty fast.

My first husband had a Royal Enfield which would never start in the rain. He figured anything that would start in the rain was kept in England - all others were shipped overseas. LOL!

Morgan is still around. The closest dealer to you is in Toronto. I've driven a handful of them. I have a couple friends who own them.

They still look the same, but they have removed all but a tiny amount of wood from the frame. Just enough to be traditional, but not enough to be a problem.

https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk

CD

Several years ago, the local Albertson’s would give stamps for your purchases that were good towards buying cookware, in store. I got several pieces, and they’re probably my favorite everyday pots and pans. Oven-safe to 500°, and even though they’re not “non-stick,” I’ve never had a problem making even eggs, although I do add a bit of oil. I need to take some pics and decipher the name on the handles; maybe one of you guys’d Know something about the company. But they were bought with stamps, albeit not S&H green stamps!

Morgan is still around. The closest dealer to you is in Toronto. LOL - Couldn't afford one then - still can't!

I've driven a handful of them. I have a couple friends who own them. and I'm jealous, of course...

They still look the same, but they have removed all but a tiny amount of wood from the frame. Just enough to be traditional, but not enough to be a problem.

https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk :wub:

CD

envy, jealousy and love - all wrapped up around an inanimate object. been a long time since I looked at them and they still look good to me!

Thanks CD - yuh put a grin on my face this morning. :D

Living in Dallas, I know I can't buy "fresh" seafood, unless I want to spend a fortune. I am perfectly fine with frozen. Like you, I want to buy it still frozen, and thaw it out right before I cook it.

I buy frozen, wild caught Gulf shrimp all the time. I always buy it shell on. It is more work, but if the shrimp is pre-shelled, the texture isn't as good when cooked, IMO.

I am also able to buy fish filets that are vacuum packed and frozen. Those work out well, too. Again, I thaw them at the last minute. They thaw fast.

CD

I buy the vacuum packed fillets too. Since Walmart my only option within 2 hours from home, it's the best I can do. I like the mahi-mahi fillets best. When we still lived in Denver, I'd watch for sales at King Soopers (Kroger) and get a whole frozen mahi-mahi fillet, usually about 24 inches long, hard as a board.

Since the big commercial fishing boats all freeze their catch immediately on board, that's about the freshest you can get if you live away from the coast, and to be honest, I really can't tell it from fresh. I had fresh when we lived in the Bahamas, and I didn't really notice a significant difference. My wife doesn't eat fish, so I'm my only critic.

Me too! Mom collected green stamps obsessively. Cutting them up and pasting them into the little books was my chore.

I know Mom redeemed them, but I can’t remember what for...

We had Green Stamps in Minnesota, but we also had Gold Bond Stamps, which were essentially the same thing in a rival company. I know that my mother almost exclusively shopped stores and gas stations that gave Green Stamps, but we always collected a few books of Gold Bond stamps as well.

I think that at one time, most of the glassware and dishes in the house were bought by redeeming stamps. Mom was quite frugal, born of necessity.

My favorite memory of really fresh fish is when my second commercial fishing husband brought home about ten pounds of fresh Haddock from the last haul. When they dropped the net on the aft deck, that huge fish was it still fighting to get back into the sea. Instead it made it to our supper table all ready to be deep fried. Hubby gutted and cut it all up for me to cook. There had to be at least ten pounds on that platter in the middle of the table.

That is a nice display of meat offerings, jd. Like others have said, though, I don't buy anything pre-made like that. I'm cheap, and I'll admit it. The idea of spending $8.99 a pound for green peppers or onions goes against my grain. Still, they sure look pretty.

Yeah I don't buy too much of the pre-seasoned meats. I season my own stuff. Some of the items in the pretty case are the same prices as the stuff out in the case.

I think they want $6/pound for their pre-formed and pre-seasoned hamburger patties whereas you can buy regular hamburger for like $3 to $4 a pound and season it yourself.

Giant Eagle does have a nice deal on meats -- 5 items for $20. And this includes a nice selection -- pack of bacon, chicken, pork, 1.5 to 2 pounds of hamburger, brats, chops, etc.. Each of these items are usually $5 to $6 each so you're saving at least $5 to $10.

Today I got 2 things of bacon, hamburger, Italian Sausage, and some chops -- all for $20. Wife loves bacon, so we go through a pack a week.

We had Green Stamps in Minnesota, but we also had Gold Bond Stamps, which were essentially the same thing in a rival company. I know that my mother almost exclusively shopped stores and gas stations that gave Green Stamps, but we always collected a few books of Gold Bond stamps as well.

I think that at one time, most of the glassware and dishes in the house were bought by redeeming stamps. Mom was quite frugal, born of necessity.

I think a lot of supermarkets had their own free line of glassware that you could earn by spending money there. They sort of had their own line of stamps for that chain of grocery stores. IGA still had their own line of glassware until just a few years ago when our local IGA closed.

I think a lot of supermarkets had their own free line of glassware that you could earn by spending money there. They sort of had their own line of stamps for that chain of grocery stores. IGA still had their own line of glassware until just a few years ago when our local IGA closed.

Back in the late 80s, one of the major oil companies (I think it was Mobil) gave glassware to people who bought 20-bucks worth of gas. I had a Silverado pickup that held 42 gallons. I filled up, and got two glasses. I eventually had to give them to friends, because my glassware cupboard was full. :LOL:

CD

Do you folks remember Welch's Jelly jar glasses? That's what my sister an I drank from as kids. :LOL:

CD

Attachments

• serveimage-4.jpeg
    serveimage-4.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 199
Do you folks remember Welch's Jelly jar glasses? That's what my sister an I drank from as kids...
My SIL has a couple with Peanuts Gang motif. She uses them when we drink wine. :ermm: I put mine back (before she pours the wine) and get myself a right proper wine glass - an on the rocks glass. :huh: I'm like a rangy giraffe and don't play well with stemmed glassware. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom